Is there any kind of level scaling in the game?

I've just got the game, and after the culture shock the store gives am really enjoying it. I'm still a bit hazy on all the rules though. For example when a character increases in level does the game get more difficult to compensate or is that all tied up in the scenarios? Is there a separate system in quest mode? And does this reasonably account for characters of differing levels?

Not sure. In terms of quest mode, I was wondering the same. Like if I have all the content and start a brand new party of level 1 characters does it draw stuff randomly from all the decks right away or does it only draw from the B deck until your guys are at least level X then add the 1 deck until you are level Y, etc?

The story mode gets harder and harder, but so will heroes.

In quest mode there seems to be 10 levels / one normal level.

So level 1-10 Are 0-level scenarios

level 11-20 Are 1-level scenarios

Level 21-30 Are level 2 scenarios and so on.

If you look in the quest mode the completion part of the character view you can see that at level 10 and 20 and so on you get card slot upgrade and that other improvements in between have a pattern.

The story mode gets harder and harder, but so will heroes.

In quest mode there seems to be 10 levels / one normal level.

So level 1-10 Are 0-level scenarios

level 11-20 Are 1-level scenarios

Level 21-30 Are level 2 scenarios and so on.

If you look in the quest mode the completion part of the character view you can see that at level 10 and 20 and so on you get card slot upgrade and that other improvements in between have a pattern.

Are you just guessing at those numbers?

I was running into stuff (henchmen/villains) within the first few levels that was definitely not from the B adventures, but I was also running on Legendary.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3clc799ujmeu6zk/Photo%207.5.2016%2023.28.21.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hzscb35nwtl30mb/Photo%207.5.2016%2023.28.41.png?dl=0

It should mean that there Are level 1 cards in there... In beta I did get even level 2 cards in quest mode. I try to find some of those in this release versio. No Luck so far, but the odds Are against me. There Are so Many level B cards in the game...

Ok. This is what I find...

... Quest Mode allows you to encounter cards a few "levels" below your current level, so what you described would be possible. I'll let one of the designers explain how levels work in Quest Mode.

Not much... I have to play more and see what happens. In the beta the minion level scaling did not work, but that was ages ago. Have to look those veteran minions and see if They scale now or not.

Hmm... The veterans at least Are not scaling. The same problem as in the beta.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuz29eylhbk8b6s/Photo%208.5.2016%200.38.01.png?dl=0

It can be bug. Relative character tier of characters should tricker the adventure level modifiers in the quest mode, so that it can scale with the players. So if the average tier level of characters is for example 2 then thegamethe should consider the adventure level as 2 -+ 1 aka something between 1-3 depending on how hard the the developers want the game to be. If it should be the same as in real game, the adventure level should be the relative tier level of heroes +1. And the veteran in the picture should have combat check 12 against tier 1 characters.

Lets see what happens "level 2" aka 20 and more. If there is not scaling quest mode would get quite boring quite soon because heroes would just walk over everything They see... But have to see those 21 level scenarios first and if there is not scaling there, maybe in the next patch. The quest mode the one not so ready in the beta, because it was made after the story mode was don't, because the story mode is the Main course. So this may develop a guite a lot untill it is "ready".

But even in the beta and even more now, te quest mode is definitely fan addition to the game!

All in all the characters scale quite just like They do in the real or more like in adventure society game. They get deck upgrades along the way and some extras. They get one skill upgrade and They get one power upgrade and finally one card slot upgrade in every 10 "levels".

So bacically characters Are as experienced at level 11 as They Are in the real game after level 1 so They have just achieved level 2.

And They Are in the same level as starting level 3 character when They Are in level 21.

So in power Comparative power level it is actually like this:

0-9 is the same as level 1

10-19 is the same as level 2

20-29 is the same as level 3 in the real pathfinder adventure society season game.

So characters Are scaling up. But we have to see evidence if the banes Also scale up. And based on that Mersenary above at least some game elements don't scale yet.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

Playing scenarios on normal difficulty in quest mode up to character level 7, my impression is the following:

I think the scenario-level refers to the scenario rules. In quest mode, you basically get a scenario card from the physical game where the locations and henchman/villains are replaced by random locations and random henchman/villains.

As far as I remember, in the first 10 character-levels, the scenario rules have always been either 'Brigandoom', 'Poison Pill' or 'Blackfangs Dungeon', which should translate to:

whenever a monster forces you to recharge a card, draw a card  / +2 on getting allies / encounter a skeleton henchman after any henchman

While the henchman and villains seem to be drawn from any unlocked deck, I think the locations, boons, monsters and traps are drawn from a box where the assumed adventure number is (character-level / 10) rounded down, following the trend Hannibal_PJV already explained.

Edited by Doppelschwert

Interesting, so increasing the difficulty level, in addition to adding more "wildcard powers" and adjacent movement seems to increase the level that you can draw villains and henchmen from then. My level 1-5 guys on Legendary we're definitely running into stuff that wasn't just B level, at least from Burnt Offerings, maybe even from the second adventure pack.

Quest mode's deck box is curated differently then Story Mode or the Physical card game.  You will run into some cards sooner (such as Deck 1 cards in Tier B), and some later (Deck 1 in Tier 2) then you would in Story Mode.

Right now some of the variables need to be re-worked for a better level and difficulty balance, you should notice a difference as more decks and patches are released.

• Like 2

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them