I made a different thing ^_^

I feel that I've learned a lot from my first idea (Mikiko) - and have designed a new monk: Mikail. The basic idea is a martial artist of the Jackie Chan school of "fight with anything you can get your hand on" (i.e. an improvised weapon master).

Edit: adjusted the main ability; Mikail only gets a free exploration when he acquires a weapon or item normally (not automatically)

ScaX7We.png

3iG1Ya4.png

sgeXuwJ.png

kDvPO9v.png

AnVQ794.png

Y4YwdmR.png

The role "Storm Spirit" comes from a design element out of Monk Unfettered. It's the kitchen sink approach to weaponized combat, inspired by "Archer" from Fate Stay Night:

cj4tmnx.png

Edited by trashcondor
  • Like 1

Interesting. You have restrictions on your combat additions, which is great.

I'm only seeing one VERY broken thing. If you put him at one of the locations with the "If you encounter anything other than a weapon or item, you may encounter again." He would burn through the entire location deck in 1 turn. Making things very easy in any mode (Effectively adding 9 blessings to the deck).

• Like 1

hmmm, that is true - but how prevalent are those locations? Realistically there will be maybe 5 weapons/items at such locations meaning only 5 "free" blessings would be added.

I don't consider that a problematic issue, it's similar to sending Ezren to the Academy. Some heroes are well-suited to certain locations.

Is it really VERY broken or merely very good, albeit situational?

I think one in each chapter.

I haven't seen Ezren, so I don't know what he would do.

It would be more than 5. Because it starts with 10, you are taking 1 turn, you explore again when you encounter anything that is not a weapon or item or armor (location), then explore again when you encounter anything that is a weapon or item (power). It will take yoy as many turns as armors in the deck.

How does the first power work exactly? I get that he automatically acquires the weapon or item and must explore again, but I don't quite grasp the second half. Does it mean you have to remember which weapons and items he automatically acquired and if they leave his hand later in the turn, he banishes them and then banishes any he has left at the end of the turn?

The General Store is the only location in RotR (and really, even all the released PACG sets so far) that he would totally destroy. And that probably isn't a big deal. If you were still worried about it though, check out Ranzak. He has a power that if he acquires a boon he must roll a d6 and on certain results explore again.

He'd also crush item and weapon heavy locations in general too, like the Garrison.

Edited by 269Hawkmoon

How does the first power work exactly? I get that he automatically acquires the weapon or item and must explore again, but I don't quite grasp the second half. Does it mean you have to remember which weapons and items he automatically acquired and if they leave his hand later in the turn, he banishes them and then banishes any he has left at the end of the turn?

Yea, it isn't really that hard to keep track of. The idea is that any weapon/item that you acquire with that ability will be banished by the end of the turn. Either because it "times out" at the end of the turn, or because when the card would be buried, discarded or recharged you banish it instead (any ability activated by burying/discarding/recharging still happens).

It would be more than 5. Because it starts with 10, you are taking 1 turn, you explore again when you encounter anything that is not a weapon or item or armor (location), then explore again when you encounter anything that is a weapon or item (power). It will take yoy as many turns as armors in the deck. 

Yes, but it would only be 5 *due* to the ability, the other explorations any character would've gotten for free anyway.

I haven't seen Ezren, so I don't know what he would do.

Here's Ezren, he basically has the same ability but keyed to spells as well as items, weapons, and armor with the "magic" trait. Of course he does not acquire them automatically, but then again his acquisitions aren't temporary either. 

PZO6000-EzrenFront.jpg

(Of course Mikail can also chose to acquire a weapon normally, then he wouldn't have to banish it - after all you don't want to just throw away the +3 demonbane trident of the gods.)

Edited by trashcondor

It is only Magic, there are a lot less Magic cards than Weapons and Items total. Plus you must PASS the check, which means there is a chance of failure.

Ok 5 turns, that is still a lot, one of the wild cards removes 5 turns and that can be painful. So 5 turns at that location, maybe 2 or 3 the next... it adds up.

Not just "magic", all cards with the magic trait. That is every +1 weapon, every +1 armor, and a lot of items. Especially at higher levels you can expect pretty much all weapons and armors and most items to have the magic trait.

• Like 1

Still being able to auto acquire and get an explore on top of that is pretty powerful, at least with Ezren you have a chance at failing to acquire the card. Another thing about Ezren is I'm fairly sure that's why they didn't give him any blessings - to somewhat balance out his auto explores. In addition, what's that location where you can explore by discarding a card? Encounter any non upgrade weapon or item, acquire it, get free explore and then discard/banish that card for another free explore since you're otherwise losing it at the end of the turn anyway. Plus all the free d4s you're going to have on checks.

Cute idea for a character power but very abusable in certain situations.