Atton Rand?

Ein Rand

Anyone here ever heard of Ayn Rand? The author of hugely popular fiction novels such as "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged"

Anyway, find a picture of Ayn Rand. Then look at the picture of Atton Rand.

Did you ever think Atton Rand's face looked a little girly? That's because IT IS.

Look familiar?:

http://www.philosophyslam.org/images_new/ayn-rand.jpg

Also, it is unsurprising that Atton Rand is the Han-Solo/individualist because those are the exact same kinds of characters that Ayn glorifies in her novels.

So how 'bout it Obsidian? Are we going to admit to what is most obvious inspiration for a character?

If Chris Avellone had Ayn Rand in mind, he never mentioned it to me. I've never heard of her, so in now way was she inspiration on my end. Still, the images you've seen thus far of Atton, are a little on the "unfinished" side. Without going into it, Atton's face was having texture and character rigging problems. This, of course, will be fixed.

"Haven't got an enemy in the world. Too lazy to make 'em" - The Reluctant Dragon

Well, I'm glad to hear that. I wasn't overly fond of Atton's look. I'm not overly fond of Ayn Rand either, but it would have been an interesting take on things.

Let's hope that when Darth Nihilus takes his mask off there's a guy that looks suspiciously like a certain sickly German philosopher underneath. :unsure:

Brian Menze:

"I've never heard of her.. "

That's quite unfortunate as she crated quite an impact on the world beyond that of pure literature, she created the Objectivist movement in philosophy and is the source of Libertarian political theory.

From http://www.objectivistcenter.org/

Objectivism holds that there is no greater moral goal than achieving happiness. But one cannot achieve happiness by wish or whim. Fundamentally, it requires rational respect for the facts of reality, including the facts about our human nature and needs. Happiness requires that one live by objective principles, including moral integrity and respect for the rights of others. Politically, Objectivists advocate laissez-faire capitalism. Under capitalism, a strictly limited government protects each person's rights to life, liberty, and property and forbids that anyone initiate force against anyone else. The heroes of Objectivism are achievers who build businesses, invent technologies, and create art and ideas, depending on their own talents and on trade with other independent people to reach their goals.

Objectivism is optimistic, holding that the universe is open to human achievement and happiness and that each person has within him the ability live a rich, fulfilling, independent life. This idealistic message suffuses Rand's novels, which continue to sell by the hundreds of thousands every year to people attracted to their inspirational storylines and distinctive ideas.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Frankly, I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if Atton Rand WASN'T inspired by Ayn Rand.

First of all, the names are clearly similiar.

Second of all, the faces are clearly similiar.

And finally, the personality of Atton Rand is practically a near-match to the characters Ayn Rand idolizes and illustrates in her novels.

I' be super-interested in finding out if in fact Atton Rand was inspired by Ayn Rand.

I've never heard of her, so in now way was she inspiration on my end.

;):(:(:(:blink::blink::blink:

you've NEVER heard of ayn rand? wowsers. i thought everybody had. she's the founder of the "objectivism" philosophy. her books are interesting but hard to read. they delve deeply into human motivation, though it takes a bit of stomach to put up with some of it. i would certainly call myself an objectivist though not nearly to the extreme she espouses in her writings. lots of stuff on capitalism came from her, too.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

That's quite unfortunate as she crated quite an impact on the world beyond that of pure literature, she created the Objectivist movement in philosophy and is the source of Libertarian political theory.

*SOUND OF BRAKING CAR*

Some -- I repeat, some -- Libertarians are objectivists. Objectivism is not libertarianism. I consider myself to be a Libertarian. I also consider Ayn Rand to have been a horrid, foolish gorgon of a human being.

Proceed.

*SOUND OF CAR SPEEDING AWAY*

'Scuse, I'm just here to make it like I was made to and then I'll be on my merry way.

ayn-rand.jpg

Mmmph. That was great. Nothing like a bit've the old either/or and A equals A to get me skywise. Who's the Rational Animal? Jack is! Jack is! Anybody got a cigarette?

A dull boy.

*SOUND OF BRAKING CAR*

Some -- I repeat, some -- Libertarians are objectivists. Objectivism is not libertarianism. I consider myself to be a Libertarian. I also consider Ayn Rand to have been a horrid, foolish gorgon of a human being.

Proceed.

*SOUND OF CAR SPEEDING AWAY*

Coupla Ayn Rand quotes

Another view...

actually, you're both right. libertarianism was borne out of objectivism, but there's a disagreement within the movement (uh, if it's big enough to be called that) as to whether "libertarianism" is good or bad. dunno myself, as i started touting obejectivist ideas long before i had ever heard of ayn rand... i.e. in keeping with her spirit, i don't follow ANYBODY's movement...

taks

Ah yes. I still remember my philosophy professor's response when I tried to bring up Objectivism in class. "What? Oh, THAT..."

Still there will always be a special place in my heart for the lady who considered smoking cigarettes one of mankind’s great technological achievements.

objectivism in a literal sense tends to be associated too closely with greed for the average user to tolerate. it relies on the notion that we're all self absorbed and any act we perform is to benefit our own needs, i.e. random acts of kindness make people feel good about themselves, the very reason they do them in the first place. while this may have some truth in a base sense, it's a hard idea to swallow and certainly isn't designed to win over followers.

taks

I never said Libertarians are objectivists. I said that she was the source of Libertarian political theory.

You have to know what I'm saying before you can disagree with it.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

• 1 year later...
I never said Libertarians are objectivists. I said that she was the source of Libertarian political theory.

You are quite right. Though libertarianism existed in previous incarnations (such as classical liberalism), Rand was the first one to embody her political principle into a single statement that libertarians tend to accept as their modus operandi. That principle is known as the "non-aggression principle". Some libertarians also call it the ZAP, or "zero-aggression principle".

Objectivism is far more than libertarianism. While Objectivism is a full philosophy dealing with metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, politics, aesthetics, teleology, etc. etc., libertarianism is politics-only, shared among those of many different philosophical roots, even Nihilism. The primary reason Rand didn't care much for the libertarian movement as a whole is the fact that it didn't have her ideal philosophical root.

As an Objectivist I would agree with her :) Of course, I am a member of the LP anyway. I don't see much choice.

You are quite right. Though libertarianism existed in previous incarnations (such as classical liberalism), Rand was the first one to embody her political principle into a single statement that libertarians tend to accept as their modus operandi. That principle is known as the "non-aggression principle". Some libertarians also call it the ZAP, or "zero-aggression principle".

Objectivism is far more than libertarianism. While Objectivism is a full philosophy dealing with metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, politics, aesthetics, teleology, etc. etc., libertarianism is politics-only, shared among those of many different philosophical roots, even Nihilism. The primary reason Rand didn't care much for the libertarian movement as a whole is the fact that it didn't have her ideal philosophical root.

As an Objectivist I would agree with her :) Of course, I am a member of the LP anyway. I don't see much choice.

Bump of the year.