What party size is most fun? And: permadeath?

Hi all,

What party size do you think is most fun?  With two, I hate seeing fun loot get passed up.  With six, I worry scenarios will take too long, and that I'll lose focus.  Is four a sweet spot?

Also, do you guys play with permadeath?  Do you recommend it?5

3-4 is defiantly my favorite, but it's really your party members that make all the difference, Merisiel is actually pretty fun to run solo, but don't try that with Kyra.  

I would avoid permadeath for now to prevent character death do to glitches and bugs, once they release a few updates then I might turn permadeath on.

• Like 2

Personally I feel like the game was designed around 4 players. That seems to be the sweetspot in seeing enough unique locations, pacing, difficulty etc.

Permadeath is technically how the game is played by the physical game rules. I recommend it, if you want something closer to how the physical game plays.

• Like 1

Depending on party composition, 3 or 4 is the sweet spot I think. However, solo and duo runs with the right characters are definitely fun too, and play quite differently, you suddenly have tons of time, but need to be quite conservative with your cards, blessings especially. I've not played with more than 4 yet, since I play the physical card game with my best friend, and we usually play 2 characters each. 3 each would be a bit much. But with the app taking care of all the shuffling and record keeping and such, I might try it there.

Personally I find permadeath frustrating, and I'm very glad that it is optional in the app. I don't play with it in the physical card game either, we just reset the scenario and start over when someone dies, without gaining rewards and/or any cards we acquired during that run (which is actually still a bit harsher than what the app does, where you do keep all acquired cards, even on the dead person). Early on it makes fairly little difference, but later on, playing a character with 0 feats vs. a character with like a dozen is very frustrating, and replaying everything just to get that one character up to speed again seems a bit silly to me as well.

I am running with 2 right now. I tried a full party and it was "meh" there was more focus on closing locations and just burning through the game than I liked, it seemed too "mechanical". I am enjoying 2 because I can focus more on the exploration of the scenario, getting cards, and farming (I like farming).

Wait. I thought the game without permadeath enabled was the same as the card game, in that if someone died you started over with a fresh version of that character with basic cards and no feats and that permadeath was that plus no starting over. So like if I started with Meri and Kyra and Meri died then no more Meri, Kyra is on her own. Now i realize that's My own crazy version of permadeath. If permadeath is the same as the original rules, then what happens if someone does without perma enabled? I know from other posts that you don't get the scenario rewards. Is that it and all cards and other feats remain the same?

• Like 1

Wait. I thought the game without permadeath enabled was the same as the card game, in that if someone died you started over with a fresh version of that character with basic cards and no feats and that permadeath was that plus no starting over. So like if I started with Meri and Kyra and Meri died then no more Meri, Kyra is on her own. Now i realize that's My own crazy version of permadeath. If permadeath is the same as the original rules, then what happens if someone does without perma enabled? I know from other posts that you don't get the scenario rewards. Is that it and all cards and other feats remain the same?

Essentially yes. If you die during a scenario without perma death that character simply does not get the scenario rewards.

Exactly. The character is removed from turn order and gains no rewards, however, all the cards they acquired (or lost) during the scenario are stilscenari, along with their deck. They then proceed into deck management as though they survived the encounter.

Think of it more as "unconcious" rather than dead.

Essentially yes. If you die during a scenario without perma death that character simply does not get the scenario rewards.

We need super-permadeath! (It's okay I can impose additional restrictions on my own if for some reason I feel the need)

We need super-permadeath! (It's okay I can impose additional restrictions on my own if for some reason I feel the need)

Super Permadeath: Each time a character dies you can NEVER use that character again. If you have no characters left to play the game is uninstalled from your device and your name is stricken from the records henceforth.

Ultra Permadeath: If a character dies, the app sends a single to your device and overloads the battery.

SUPREME IRON MAN PERMADEATH: If a character dies, the app sends an elite squad of assassins to your house to kill you.

• Like 5

Sounds great, I assume you guys are getting right on those features, #1 priority?

Welp that backfired.

I would probably be the one to test if those features actually worked...

The rage online would be real if you died in Supreme Iron Man Permadeath Mode and a bug sent the assassin squad to your neighbors house instead...

"THIS is what $25 gets me? You guys send the assassins over to someone else's house instead of mine? Fix this bug NOAW! 1/10"

• Like 2

OmegaDeath:

A strategically placed nuclear warheads under the earth's surface will detonate, tuning the earth into a ball of molten rock.

Super Omega OmniDeath*:

A signal is sent to a Tardis hidden in a secret laboratory in a time pocket, activating a paradox machine. Time and Space are torn asunder, reality implodes into a screaming ball of chaos.

*WARNING: Playing Super Omega OmniDeath mode has been shown to cause cancer in lab rats in California.

• Like 3

Sounds great, I assume you guys are getting right on those features, #1 priority?

Welp that backfired.

I would probably be the one to test if those features actually worked...

The rage online would be real if you died in Supreme Iron Man Permadeath Mode and a bug sent the assassin squad to your neighbors house instead...

"THIS is what $25 gets me? You guys send the assassins over to someone else's house instead of mine? Fix this bug NOAW! 1/10"

I tried for this, Nathan said we don't have the insurance for it

• Like 3

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them

I hate Permadeath in video games for the simple reason that an accidental roll can happen. 

If I were to lose a character because my cat rubs up against my tablet, I would be pissed, so I use the Honour system Permadeath.

There is currently a bug (or is that a feature?) that if your character dies during a scenario and doesn't get the scenario reward, that character can't get that scenario reward later in a second try. And as you probably don't want characters that have permanently missed important rewards like skill, power, or card feats in your group, you might as well play with permadeath and put the same or another basic character in to replace the dead adventurer.

All I can say about party size is that my current party (Kyra, Merisiel and Valeros) is having a tough time in mid-higher difficulties. I think adding a 5th location while adding a 3rd character who doesn't have many blessings makes the game more difficult; especially if you are somewhat unlucky and don't manage to close 2 locations before you reach the 10-12 turn.

Knowing what I do now, I think I should pick Seoni over Valeros. She can explore a lot easier, she doesn't rely on weapons to attack, getting allies is easier for her, and Intelligence is needed quite often to close locations. Few things are worse than failing to close a location and having to go through 7+ cards in order to try again.

I'm picturing a monkey in a suit, doing the Nixon pose.

Aw yea...  Valeros' Monkey-suited Nixon-pose brings ALL the Noble Brats to the yard...

• Like 2

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

I'm picturing a monkey in a suit, doing the Nixon pose.

Aw yea...  Valeros' Monkey-suited Nixon-pose brings ALL the Noble Brats to the yard...

He can teach you. But he'd have to charge.

• Like 1