can you bring a new character into your party in progress?

can i buy a new character and then let him/her join my party in progress?

found what seemed to be a really powerful arcane magic card that i would like to keep, so i was thinking if it's possible to buy a new character and give him/her this card

As I understand it, unless you're in the middle of a Scenario, there's no real downside (correct me if I'm wrong) to deleting a party and creating a new one from a mix of those Experienced characters and some brand new ones.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

I believe you can, although haven't tried it yet but as da_mayor said, this game has such easy replayability that there's no real downside to just playing a different group at some point later who can make use of that spell when you find it with the new group.

As I understand it, unless you're in the middle of a Scenario, there's no real downside (correct me if I'm wrong) to deleting a party and creating a new one from a mix of those Experienced characters and some brand new ones.

but my experienced characters will only have the default cards equipped right?

Yes, adding a new character has the downside of you being unable to choose his starting cards.

I also found that changing the number of characters in the group results in a very different experience of the game, so maybe starting over is the better plan.

Ok, so, build a party with a single new character, nickname him/her, arrange his deck, and then don't start a scenario (hit the Settings button and Quit Game).  Then build a new party with the new guy and experienced characters.

Qvoth:  I believe your experienced characters will still have the same starting decks.  The reason I believe this is, there's a bug that hangs the game with multiple iterations of your characters (two Kyras, two Merisiels) in a party.  The workaround is to quit the game (losing any progress on the given scenario), delete the party, and rebuild the party with the same characters.  I did that once, and the characters I added still had their decks.

i bought ezren and just added him into my party, no trouble whatsoever

Sweet!  Did you get a chance to edit his deck before you started?

• 3 weeks later...

In the Card Game, using Card Guild rules, we actually had a Class Deck Kyra and a WotR Kyra in the same party.  My story is that Class Deck Lem died skinny-dipping in the Abyssal River trying to lure the Kyra Twins in...

• Like 1

I recently bought the full bundle and started a new party. After completing the all but the last scenario in the first adventure I decided to switch characters. I completed the last scenario and only the 'old' characters got the adventure bouns. That new character did not have the adventure bonus ability points the others in the party now had. To get the adventure reward a character must complete all of the scenarios in the adenture. I could continue on as is, but that new character would always be handicapped compared to the other characters in the party. So, i had to decide to go forward with a weaker character or run run all of the scenarios again so the new character could get the bonuses as well and catch up. I chose the latter.

It's something to consider when changing party members. I would think adding instances of a veteran from another party would probably work out fine. Starting a new character seems easier to do with a party of new characters.

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

You can simply replay the previous missions so the new character get the corresponding rewards.

This also works when playing the missions in higher difficulty.

For exemple I played with 3 characters until the end of adventure 2 (the skinsaw masscre), and then I added a fourth character.

I then played the first adventures again directly in heroic difficulty, and the new character did get the adventure rewards, including the skill/power/card feats without having to play the normal difficulty again.

Of course if you want an easier time you can also simply replay on normal difficulty with your experienced party.