Which 3rd character to get after Kyra and Merisiel

I thought: If I buy everything at once with the season pack, I would be overwhelmed as a newbie. So I decided to go the long way: acquiring (everything) by collecting gold. (When I get more experienced I might might buy it as well cause it's not the money but for now more the selfprotection and the challenge). 

So, when I had 2293 gold I bought 'Burnt Offerings' leaving me enough for a new character to buy. But that leaves me the problem which one to choose ???

Any advice is appreciated !

If it's not the money, just buy everything and start a 6 man party. That's what I did and I never took a second look at the PF card game before (though I am playing the tabletop RPG). The cards are basically the same for everyone and learning the one or two extra powers of each character really isn't that hard. Best way to learn the usage of different characters is to actually use them.

That being said, if you really just want a single character, I'd go with someone who can use cards effectively, that Kyra and Merisiel can't use well. That would mean either a strength melee character (Valeros or Amiri) or an Arcane Caster (Lem, Seoni and Ezren are all very good, with Seoni being the easiest to handle, in my opinion).

• Like 1

Even being experienced with the game I find 6 characters to be a bit unwieldy. There is a lot more management required, both during a game and between scenarios. Not that it's overly complicated, I just find a smaller party more fun.

I agree with getting a melee or arcane caster to compliment Merisiel and Kyra. Valeros would be a good choice for a strength melee type and I think Seoni would work better in a smaller team. Ezren is cool too, but I find myself missing the blessings (he has 0, and this can never be raised).

Agreed. Keep in mind, Kyra can be a solid strength based weapons character. I played a 6 character solo run of the card game in which she was the only one who could use such weapons, put points into her strength stat and gave her weapon prof as quickly as possible. Yes, her strength die is only a d6 but she has a good melee bonus and with blessings and the right power feats she can still do well with weapons. So if it were me I'd take an arcane caster - probably Ezren, who in my opinion makes more use of spells than Seoni (who quite often just uses them to feed her special ability). But all the characters are great and Valeros is a fun melee character, so really you can't go wrong.

I would pick an arcane caster so you can make use of arcane spells that come up. I prefer Seoni for her ability to automatically recharge spells.

EDIT- oh and she has high Charisma as well, which is always nice.

Edited by LunarWolf

You will probably want to arrive at a tank, healer, thief, mage group of 4 at some point. So you might want to plan ahead: For example if you take Seoni now, with her high charisma, you'll probably want to complement that with Valeros next. If you prefer Seelah as your tank, you might want to take Ezren as your mage instead, because otherwise you have too many high charisma characters and are lacking in other areas.

Note that this are all just suggestions. Instead of going the classical route, you can also take some of the more exotic and allround characters like Lini. That also depends on whether you prefer to split your group up, or have several characters at the same location, because characters like Lem and Valeros give bonuses to others at the same location, while Harsk is giving bonuses to characters at other locations.

I like Lem's Infinite Heals...  Play Lem.  Give him a heal or two.  Use it.  If it recharges, great.  If not, the next spell you get, use Versatile Performance to swap it for heal, then heal yourself (hopefully getting that spell back into your deck).  Repeat ad nauseum.

Also, he's the best character to send to the Academy (or any location with lots of spells) because he's the only one who can generally acquire both Arcane AND Divine spells (and has a decent shot at Blessings).  Even sending Kyra and Seoni at the same time doesn't guarantee that Kyra won't draw an Arcane spell or Seoni a Divine one.  Lem is a self-supporting spell/blessing-acquiring fiend.  I start him with two Cures and two Force Missiles, and he ends up doing ok.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

Might slightly disagree about Lem being best at the Academy. Doesn't Ezren get a free explore when he acquires a spell or something? It's been awhile since I've played him and don't have him unlocked here but I remember him burning through th Academy once in like 2 turns. Lem is certainly good for the reason you described but the best, not sure.

Another Lem bonus that I'm not sure has been mentioned and may or may not be obvious to new players is his ability to choose whichever "favored" card type he likes when starting a scenario. The most popular way to go is to pick weapon and since he only has one weapon, you can guarantee that he will have that card in his hand every game. In my experience this means if you can get him something good like the deathbane crossbow, then he never needs any other weapon slots. Now it does suck if somehow he loses that card and has to heal it back and dig for it again, but that probably won't happen too often.

• Like 1

I see what you mean.  But I don't run out of time much, so I'm happy to let Lem go in and acquire all the spells in 3 or 4 turns rather than let Ezren rush through and maybe miss a few Divines.

Solid argument. Once I get everything unlocked I think I'm going to play a game with the dynamic duo, Lem and Lini.

Oooooh.  Psychotic Midget Brigade!

• Like 1

I picture the two L's just kinda chilling in some random location, a Hill Giant shows up. Lem's playing a tune and not really paying attention and Lini's teaching her new pet some tricks. Harsk, ever the serious one, grumbles under his breath "not again", and takes out the Hill Giant with his crossbow, and the other two don't even notice.

Edited by Brainwave
  • Like 2

I picked someone who could handle Allies because I found that both Meri and Kyra had issues recruiting them. Between Lem and Seoni, I picked Seoni: only because I play Lem so much in the paper game.  I have had no regrets, she is somewhat of a glass cannon at first, but with a little optimization I haven't had much of a problem keeping her alive.  Having Father Z to give her right away was a huge benefit. If you do go with her, don't be afraid to chug potions early and often. 

My second character pickup was Harsk.  I felt I needed a weapon guy role and again, he's someone I haven't played with paper.  He appeals to me so much more now. He is such a tank. WIth a crowbar, thieves tools and Elivish boots or spyglass and he can take down pretty much any location I send him to.    The Only time he lets me down in combat is when I really need him to succeed.  (henchmen, temp closes, etc)  But I feel that's just bad luck more than his lower dex die.  WIth a few + 1 weapons and i'm routinely rolling ( 1d8 + 1d10 or 2d8) + 6.  and that bonus, usually, gets him there even on poor roles.  His average rolls are so good, that I think i'm overestimating his ability when I really need a success, but I might just be being stingy with my blessings. Both his abilities are great.   being able to do 1d4+1 to another character( like kyra or meri when neither of them have a weapon and you've just got to go for it) is huge.

Come to think of it, I should play Harsk more.  I just had an end-game scenario where I sent Merisiel off to a closed location with a light crossbow to give Lem an extra d4 (plus any blessings) on Gogmurt.

How does his look ahead ability work? Does it prompt you or do you have to remember because I can't tell you how much I've forgotten to use that ability. If it's some kind of automatic prompt that makes him a better character if I'm playing him, sadly.

• 2 weeks later...