Unsure if its me or game - Agility spell

stevelabny

Question

Playing the two starters - Kyra and Merisiel.

Merisiel is fighting a monster on her turn. Kyra wants to play Agility but it is not showing as playable out of turn.

When I've played the tabletop version, we've always understood Strength and Agility to be playable out of turn so you can buff other characters.

Who is wrong?

15 answers to this question

Hey there.

I assume that Mersiel is making an Dexterity based combat check?

All combat, unless otherwise specified by the monster (Siren-Wisdom, Iesha-Char, Dip,Div) will be a Strength/Melee check, if you haven't revealed/Discarded a ranged weapon the check will not change to Dexterity.

If the check is not Dexterity based then you will not be able to use the Agility spell, but if it is a Dexterity based check and Kyra hasn't already played a spell, the Agility spell should be available to uses out of turn just like the Strength or Eloquence spells.

Thanks

Yeah, it was defiitely something wrong in the game.

I was fighting Nualia with Merisiel and her crossbow, and Kyra doesn't even have any other help spells. I asked the question before the combat, but went through with it anyway. After I passed the first check, Agility became available for the second check.

Hey there.

I assume that Mersiel is making an Dexterity based combat check?

All combat, unless otherwise specified by the monster (Siren-Wisdom, Iesha-Char, Dip,Div) will be a Strength/Melee check, if you haven't revealed/Discarded a ranged weapon the check will not change to Dexterity.

If the check is not Dexterity based then you will not be able to use the Agility spell, but if it is a Dexterity based check and Kyra hasn't already played a spell, the Agility spell should be available to uses out of turn just like the Strength or Eloquence spells.

Thanks

+1 points for team Dunesparrow.

I was fighting Nualia with Merisiel and her crossbow, and Kyra doesn't even have any other help spells. I asked the question before the combat, but went through with it anyway. After I passed the first check, Agility became available for the second check.

Can you snag a screenshot of this for me?

Can you snag a screenshot of this for me?

Only if there's a way to review a game I don't know about?  I wasn't sure whos fault it was so I didn't bother to try to figure out how to log it.  And... I'm not even sure how to do a screenshot on a tablet anyway? (Ipad Air2)  It was on normal mode since it was my first runthrough of AP1.

So you used the crossbow on both checks for Nualia? You could only play Agility on the second check? Did Kyra play something like Guidance or something similar on the first check?

Pressing the circle button and the power button at the same time will take a screenshot.

Remember, a given character can only play one card of a given type on a given check (or Step).  That means that Kyra can only play one spell on Merisiel's first check.  (The amusing thing is, if you'd been able to scout the deck and realize Merisiel had this combat coming and had Kyra play her spell before Merisiel drew the card, you could have played another spell on each check, since Agility is persistent throughout the turn.)  So if, as Stormbringer mentioned, Kyra played Guidance or Aid already, on that check, she couldn't also play Agility.

Edited by da_mayor

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

tsorry i

So you used the crossbow on both checks for Nualia? You could only play Agility on the second check? Did Kyra play something like Guidance or something similar on the first check?

Pressing the circle button and the power button at the same time will take a screenshot.

sorry for slow response was playing star wars rebellion yesterday.

yes i used Meris crossbow both checks...i think it was the heavy crossbow I had just acquired, but it might have been the light crossbow. the system was showing that kyra couldnt help at all... kyra didnt have any blessings in hand at the time and kyras other spells in deck are augury, holy light, and cure so she couldnt have played any of them on meris turn even if she had them. but i think she had weapons armor and a token of remembrance in hand. after meri won the first check, kyras circle showed that she could help and agility was selectable

Similar thing happened to me with Seoni and Poison Cloud spell. For the first check in a combat it wasn't usable even if she didn't use a spell for that particular check, and for the next it was available. 

Thanks guys we'll look into this further!

I just found out a couple of issues with Speed /STrength that I'll ad here in case they're somehow relate to your issue:

I had a hero without weapon in combat, with Amulet of Mighty Fists, and another hero with Strength spell. I cast the Strength first and then it won't allow the first hero to use the Amulet. However, when a canceled, I was perfectly able to use the AMulet first and then the Strength spell.

Also, similar case with Speed and Poog of Zarongel. If I play Speed first, and the Poog (for his +3 Bonus) - Poog negates all check bonuses before that (Speed and the Ranged skill bonus); however, if I play Poog first - I then have no trouble applying Speed on top of it.

I also had one or two cases (before I started to keep track) with those two spells where I was able/not able to cast them off-turm purely based on the order in which I played them and other cards (weapons, bonus item, allies...) - so it leads me to believe there's something wonky specifically with the timing of these two spells.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

I actually had a similar problem with a bow.  Bows can add to ANY combat check at another location.  I was in Alpha Strike mode on a villain, so I had Lem cast Frigid Blast, Kyra threw a blessing and cast Eloquence (no problem), and Merisiel threw a blessing on as well...

But when she applied her bow for the 1d4, all the dice changed to Lem doing melee combat (mostly d4s) and I had to have each character hit Undo and start from scratch.

I actually had a similar problem with a bow.  Bows can add to ANY combat check at another location.  I was in Alpha Strike mode on a villain, so I had Lem cast Frigid Blast, Kyra threw a blessing and cast Eloquence (no problem), and Merisiel threw a blessing on as well...

But when she applied her bow for the 1d4, all the dice changed to Lem doing melee combat (mostly d4s) and I had to have each character hit Undo and start from scratch.

But did it work when you started from scratch? And did you try applying the same cards in different order (i.e. start with the bow this time)?

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

But did it work when you started from scratch? And did you try applying the same cards in different order (i.e. start with the bow this time)?

Nope!  Went through it all about three times just to make sure I was seeing what I THOUGHT I was seeing, and it happened every time.  I instead forwent the extra d4 and spanked the Villain righteously, if a bit less powerfully than I'd hoped.