Two Bugs I found

Skylinefranc

Question

Bug 1: Goblin warcanter has the text, succeed at so and so check or you can't use spells that have the attack trait or weapons during the check. When I encounter one of these it makes my entire party "Roll to use power". Even if they fail the roll they can use their powers. It seems to correctly work in that if I fail I can't use weapons, but I see no reason why my entire party has to roll instead of just the person who encountered it.

Bug 2: I fought a villain that had a Widsom or Combat check for first check. The top card of the blessings deck was the 2 Dice to wisdom check blessings. I decided to use combat as the stat of choice, revealed my weapon, and tried to recharge the blessing to just get a single dice for combat instead of 2 for wisdom, the only thing it would let me do is add 2 dice to wisdom checks. No option of recharging for only 1 die. Decided to not use the blessing and used a different one instead. Second check was pure combat so then finally it let me recharge the wisdom blessing for 1 die to a check instead of 2 to a wisdom check. I think adding the option of 1 or 2 die depending on choice would be great.

13 answers to this question

Regarding your first issue, I've also noticed that the war chanter makes all characters roll to not be able to use spells/weapons but I'm not sure if that's a bug. There are definitely monsters farther in that affect all characters, not just the one encountering the monster and I thought this was probably just the first of those. And it could matter, for example another charactrer might want to cast a Strength spell to boost the charactrer in combat, and failing their roll would stop them from being able to do that. Not sure what you mean by "even if they fail their roll they can still use powers" as charactrer powers aren't blocked by the warchanter, just spells and weapons.

In terms of the second thing, are you aware of the pull down menu at the top of the screen during checks that allows you to manually toggle between different stats? If you tried that and there was no option to swap to wisdom then it does sound like a bug, but I know some players aren't aware of how to toggle between stats in a check, so wanted to make sure.

• Like 1

Goblin warcanter sates that if you fail "You" can't use spells or weapons, never mentions that the party can't so I think it's a bug. As for the second option, I did manually click the combat option but it would always default back to wisdom when I tried to recharge the blessing and would not let me get only 1 die for combat. I'll try and reproduce it and get screenshots.

• Like 1

Goblin warcanter sates that if you fail "You" can't use spells or weapons, never mentions that the party can't so I think it's a bug. As for the second option, I did manually click the combat option but it would always default back to wisdom when I tried to recharge the blessing and would not let me get only 1 die for combat. I'll try and reproduce it and get screenshots.

Yep, you're right, the full text is "Before you act, succeed at a wisdom 8 check or you may not play spells that have the attack trait or weapons." Definitely sounds like unless there's a typo in the card text (which is possible, there's a typo in longbow +1 that implies it's better to not be proficient to utilize its second ability), I stand corrected.

There are definitely monsters farther in that affect all characters, not just the one encountering the monster and I thought this was probably just the first of those. And it could matter, for example another charactrer might want to cast a Strength spell to boost the charactrer in combat, and failing their roll would stop them from being able to do that.

THis.

The rules of the card game state that when a card says 'you', it means every character that would do that thing. So yeah, Warchanter is working as intended, however the lack of option to opt out of the roll (and thus of the possibility to play weapons and spells to affect the check) is annoying, especially for characters at the Glassworks.

As for the blessings and the drop down menu - I believe you have to select the correct check AFTER you play the blessing, otherwise the blessing will just revert to it 'thinks' you want it to do. Yeah, not the most intuitive approach either.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Actually, you're not allowed to opt out of the Wisdom check and autofail it.  It only works for boons you encounter (in which case you're not autofailing it, you're opting not to do it)

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

(Thanks to Longshot11)

So the power on Goblin Warchanter pretty much applies to anyone who wants to play a spell with the attack trait or a weapon. It was easier to just make it a blanket roll as oppose to to make someone roll when they decided they might want to help you.

So everyone rolls, if you fail then you can't help. If Valeros Failed his wisdom check which he darn well might, he will not be able to play that longbow to help you.

If Ezren failed the wisdom check he couldn't play Toxic Cloud on your check to help you.

Hope that clears that up a bit. :)

This is random and I know it's not going to change but I don't think I'm alone in finding that wording to be confusing. To me, "you" on a card in a card game means the active player, period. If it's supposed to mean all characters then it should say all characters. I know this isn't the kind of thing that's going to change for the video game and you guys are working with the cards as written but don't be surprised if you continue to see players confused by this kind of wording.

They could re-word the card to match how it's implemented at least.  I'm not sure if they have an agreement with Paizo regarding changing the phrasing / templating on the card images.

Before you act, each character must attempt a Wisdom 8 Check.  Characters who fail cannot play Weapons or Spells with the Attack trait on this Check.

(something like that).

I forget if the GUI gives you the usual "Select the next character to perform this check" screen, or if it just automatically goes thru all your characters in order.  I would think it's a bug if you don't get the option to choose the order in which to perform the checks.

Here's the Paizo thread regarding who "you" are, which is why even though it says "you" it means everyone who wants to play a weapon or spell has to make the check: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2s497?Who-you-are#1

I think the issue with Paizo (and this is just my own opinion) is twofold: one, there's a lot of errata to issue on the physical cards if that was the case, and they'd rather issue a single errata in the rulebook (which is what they've done), and two, there may be templating issues with such verbose text.

(Thanks to Longshot11)

Heh. The issue to me is that in beta testing they needed someone to say "you sounds like the active player, we need a better term for this" which apparently didn't happen. But overall I didn't bring it up to assign blame, just merely to point out that it's confusing (which is backed up by the fact that there needed to be a rules discussion in the post you linked to decide what it meant) and thus people will be confused and think it's a bug. And while a FAQ for a tabletop game to clear up some concerns is fairly normal, I'm not sure if most people playing an app will care to look at something like that.

This is random and I know it's not going to change but I don't think I'm alone in finding that wording to be confusing. To me, "you" on a card in a card game means the active player, period. If it's supposed to mean all characters then it should say all characters. I know this isn't the kind of thing that's going to change for the video game and you guys are working with the cards as written but don't be surprised if you continue to see players confused by this kind of wording.

I feel you. I hated it when they FAQed the definition of 'you ' to 'evryone that might try that thing' for the xact same reasons you point out. And, yes, while I understand their resoning for this approach for the physical game, I too believe the app could use some text update for clarity. After all, Obsidian has already updated the wording of some of the cards so they're clearer for non-board game players.

• Like 1