Support Paladin regulate to ranged character?

I was thinking does a full time support paladin really belong on the frontline? If he doesn't have FoD and can't bring at least some heat what's his purpose up front? He can tank but with the better AI in this game the AI will not dog Pyle you therefore making extremely high deflection char kind of crappy. Hits like a wet noodle while the AI ignores him and hits your lower deflection Marlee guys. What do you guys think?

Have gun will travel.

In most cases you can funnel the opponents through doors/passes so you need 1-2 frontliners to bodyblock them, hence support paladin is perfectly fine for that job. Later on where there are some open spaces especially in white march wilderness you have a large array of aoe crowd control spells with wizard/druid so you can manage the situation if the "smart" AI decides to try something nasty.

Edited by Vorad
  • Like 1

Agreed. The funnel does the job I just try not to do it on open areas or with pre encounter knowledge as I find it cheestastic lol

Have gun will travel.

If you not even using FoD ( tho most paladin order talents require fod ) i would not go ranged , as ranged paladin is probably best played with Quick Switch and multiple firearms coupled with FoD you can provide nice burst , and then even trigger Per kill abilities like strange mercy , black path or inspiring triumph .

For full support/tank melee paladin i would use one handed weapon with guarding and outworn buckler , also Hold the Line talent is very nice , it will allow your paladin to tank up to 3 melees which is enough for most of the time . Enemy ranged characters wont target your tanks anyway unless you really get into their face and start hitting them in melee .

Edited by Blunderboss

Ya blunder if you google Darcozzio FO or look at the other thread I have up about vulnerable attack or cautious attack it shows the build. I just can't find room in it because it means skipping Reviving Exhortation. I play trial of iron PoTD purely so I go for the Rez over burst damage with this type of support party accuracy build.

Have gun will travel.

Reviving exhortation is easiest skill to skip just go 6 lore for the scroll , anw i kinda agree that for Darcozzi FOD is not that good , i would still try to stack Engagement slots for holding aggro

Edited by Blunderboss
  • Like 2