Story Mode or Quest Mode

What is the difference between Story and Quest Mode? I just kept playing after the tutorial so I don't know which "mode" I am playing. I can't find a web page explaining it.

Story Mode is going along the Adventure Path (basically doing scenarios in progressive order for each Adventure). Quest Mode is doing randomly created scenarios that aren't linked. Quest Mode is currently not working correctly, but should be fixed soon.

• Like 1

In story mode your progress is measured by how far along in the story you are. Characters get stronger by gaining skill feats, power feats, card feats etc. as rewards from completing story missions.

In quest mode progress is more like classic role-playing games: Your characters gain experience points, which makes them level up, and gain feats with levels.

Quest mode is getting fixed in the next update, so for the moment I'd recommend story mode. If you don't know which mode you are in, you are in story mode, as quest mode only unlocks after completing the second scenario in story mode.

• Like 1

I am not sure about the multiplayer part, but the quest mode and story mode characters are separate.

The progression for story mode is like the usual adventure paths, with rewards being given at the end of a scenario / adventure,

The progression for quest mode is done through experience, where experience is gotten through actions. (eg. defeating a monster / barrier). When a character levels up, they attain either a feat or a card depending on what level they are (the rewards for leveling up can be found on the characters progression page when selecting a party for quest mode).

• Like 1

Quest mode is broken...yes.  In many more ways than one.  Either it doesn't start, or it doesn't even give you enough turns to think about going through one location let alone trying to get to a second location before the turn counter dies.

Six turns.  That's all I got.  Ha!

I understand story mode well enough since it mimics the box game pretty well. What's the point of quest mode? Is it just to gain experience and advance characters only within the quest mode "universe"? Are villains and loot selected based on average character level or highest level in the party?

I like that it's random locations and stuff. That mixes it up a bit when I tire of the story line. Too bad (as some suggested) we can't take our active story parties "questing".

I understand story mode well enough since it mimics the box game pretty well. What's the point of quest mode? Is it just to gain experience and advance characters only within the quest mode "universe"? Are villains and loot selected based on average character level or highest level in the party?

I like that it's random locations and stuff. That mixes it up a bit when I tire of the story line. Too bad (as some suggested) we can't take our active story parties "questing".

The story mode works like the board game. Once you played through the story mode you are supposed, just like in the board game, to start over with a new group, to try out different stuff for fun. Most video games don't work like that, but rather offer constant progression. The point of quest mode is to make Pathfinder Adventures work more like a video game.

The story mode works like the board game. Once you played through the story mode you are supposed, just like in the board game, to start over with a new group, to try out different stuff for fun. Most video games don't work like that, but rather offer constant progression. The point of quest mode is to make Pathfinder Adventures work more like a video game.

Correct, story mode is like the physical game with added narrative elements while Quest Mode provides extended game play through randomly generated scenarios.

Never tell me the odds! I probably wrote them