Should I hire as many flunkies as possible as soon as possible?

Only if you intend to keep them throught all the game, as the only true advantages if doing so are less price(trivial after a certain point) and less XP fifference between your hired adventurers and the Watcher and story companions.

Otherwise, Act 1 is completable with a party of four people.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

I always grab them ASAP since they gain XP even while you're doing stuff without them. Better to get them cheap at level 1 and have minimal XP gap between them and your PC.

You also potentially get nice gear to have early. Hiring an adventurer with Brigandine is cheaper than buying Brigandine.

So although early game is when you also need money most, I think it's worth it to save 1250+ that you'd be spending soon and get some extra gear.

My early game strategy is -

• hire and dismiss all adventurers before sleeping in the inn(so they get ~75% or whatever it is of that XP)
  • wander around solo and unlock all act 1 areas except Raedric's, grab the easy loot via sneaking and/or soloing a few things while I'm there
  • pick up all story companions and steal their gear
  • dismiss story companions and grab my now level 2 or very close to it adventurers
  • clear caed nua's courtyard and unlock but don't open the Maerwald door
  • grab story companions and rest, come back and do Maerwald with Kana and Eder present at least since their quests require it
  • talk to the story companions individually(only PC and them in party) for max XP
  • sell stuff I don't need and start upgrading keep, since we've done 0 quests so far we get more stronghold turns from rushing to get caed nua early
  • explore the new unlocked areas except defiance bay
  • kill stuff, sell stuff, keep upgrading
  • do quests once my prestige is decent to start the stronghold turns and get leveled up

First there are two types of companions:

1). Pre-made story companions

2). Custom companions

Story companions

Pros: Interact with quests and have banter, free to recruit

Cons: Sub-optimal stats, may not be recruitable for awhile

Custom companions are basically the reverse. They can be whatever you want, but will always be silent companions.

If you want a silent optimal party you can generate them all in the first town (might need some quests for money).

If you want a story party you can recruit 4 companions before the first major combat quest. Stick to the roads to avoid extra fights.

EDIT: Sub-optimal means not perfect/ideal, not horrible/unplayable.

Edited by Stasis_Sword

2). Custom companions

Story companions

Custom companions are basically the reverse. They can be whatever you want, but will always be silent companions.

If you want a silent optimal party you can generate them all in the first town (might need some quests for money).

If you want a story party you can recruit 4 companions before the first major combat quest. Stick to the roads to avoid extra fights.

Pallegina is arguably competitive with choosing a hired paladin just 'cause she has great Order talents.

I give the edge to PC Paladin though of course, due to Faith and Conviction bonus advantage -assuming you select favored disposition dialogue options and avoid disfavored.

2). Custom companions

Story companions

Pallegina is arguably competitive with choosing a hired paladin just 'cause she has great Order talents.

I give the edge to PC Paladin though of course, due to Faith and Conviction bonus advantage -assuming you select favored disposition dialogue options and avoid disfavored.

Sub-optimal might not even be the right word, maybe "not min-maxed". They are perfectly usable and I personally prefer them for the story interaction and banter.

Personally I didn't find the story companions very interesting.  These are, of course, my personal and subjective opinions:

- Aloth: is irritating, and not very likeable.

- Devil of Caroc: one of the best companions, personality wise.  Has quite funny ambient lines.

- Durance: really bloody annoying.  He thinks he's wise, but I just get the impression he's full of ****.  A ball and chain to drag around the game, frankly.

- Eder: one of the funniest companions, well worth keeping around for the banter.

- Grieving Mother: boring and stale.  Waaagh you lost some babies.  Nobody gives a ****.  She's a cipher, which is the only reason I ever kept her around.

- Hiravias: quite funny.  Has a really powerful custom shapeshift.

- Kana Rua: never kept him around long enough, he's bland as hell.  I kept expecting him to tip a fedora at the women in my party.

- Maneha: haven't met her yet

- Pallegina: quite boring.  I can't even remember anything about her from my playthrough.  She didn't stand out at all.

- Sagani: just a boring hunter archetype.  Chasing some idiot from her village around.  Yawn.  Rangers are OP, though.

- Zahua: funny sometimes.

So basically there's a handful of companions that are kinda funny or have useful abilities, and the rest are ****.

Edited by Yosharian

I never go with story companions, except my first playtrough back when PoE was released , for me they are just NPC's who i kill for items in act one and ignore the later ones , i only take Aloth and Zahua for stronghold duty as their personal quests doesnt start immediately .

There are too many fun and interesting builds in PoE ( some of them that require particular attributes ) to waste time with aloth n co who are just generic crpg companions aka im Wizard/Tank/Healer without any real companion quests lines .

Exception can be made for companions with unique abilities like Hiravias or Palegina .

Edited by Blunderboss

To be more complete about Powergaming pros to take companions :

- Pellagina has specific talents order and unique race. Avian godlike is okayish but order talents are great.

- Devil of Caroc has breastplate as body that you can't change, she can't use food BUT she has a LOT of immunities : poison, all types of charm spells, sickness...

- After her quest, Maneha gets +2 stats point.

- After his quest, Zahua gets +10% attacks speed with fists.

Sagani's snow fox is identical to a wolf (but more cute) and Hiravias Spiritshif is identical to Cat form. These abilities don't have unique mechanics (but at least they are very good pet and form choices).

Edited by Elric Galad

• grab story companions and rest, come back and do Maerwald with Kana and Eder present at least since their quests require it

It's been so long, but I'm pretty sure I did Maerwald without them and was able to continue quests with alternate dialogues

• talk to the story companions individually(only PC and them in party) for max XP

I like to power game and haven't done this. Thank you :)

• sell stuff I don't need and start upgrading keep, since we've done 0 quests so far we get more stronghold turns from rushing to get caed nua early

Couldn't agree more.

It's been so long, but I'm pretty sure I did Maerwald without them and was able to continue quests with alternate dialogues

I could be wrong, I always take them there because their quest descriptions suggest it's part of their questlines and you get dialogue with them afterward. Never actually tried not bringing them.

Why do you think that?

I just checked about Itumaak, and it's actually slightly different from a wolf : +2 Dex, -2 Con. (and white soft fur...). Not stricly better, Con and Dex being both rather useful for pet. Maybe Dex is a bit better especially endgame with a crapload of healers.

What makes the wolf really good is his higher base damage. So damage bonuses (from Predator's Sense, Merciless Companion and so on) work even better with him. Does Itumaak also have this feature?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

What makes the wolf really good is his higher base damage. So damage bonuses (from Predator's Sense, Merciless Companion and so on) work even better with him. Does Itumaak also have this feature?

From what I remember, yes (and bonus against disengagement attck too). I think it was the reason why I assumed they were identical. 

Why do you think that?

I saw it somewhere, someone posted detailed info on pet statistics, something like recovery time or whatever (can't remember the exact stats), and Itumaak's are slightly better than the standard wolf

Here is the info on the pet statistics: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83777-attack-speed-20/?p=1806345

Stelgaer form has more damage than the standard Druid cat form according to... the wiki?  Something I read somewhere.  The wiki could be wrong, I guess

Here is the info on Stelgaer: -> http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Spiritshift says it has +8 accuracy as well as more damage

Edited by Yosharian

I always grab them ASAP since they gain XP even while you're doing stuff without them. Better to get them cheap at level 1 and have minimal XP gap between them and your PC.

You also potentially get nice gear to have early. Hiring an adventurer with Brigandine is cheaper than buying Brigandine.

So although early game is when you also need money most, I think it's worth it to save 1250+ that you'd be spending soon and get some extra gear.

My early game strategy is -

• hire and dismiss all adventurers before sleeping in the inn(so they get ~75% or whatever it is of that XP)
  • wander around solo and unlock all act 1 areas except Raedric's, grab the easy loot via sneaking and/or soloing a few things while I'm there
  • pick up all story companions and steal their gear
  • dismiss story companions and grab my now level 2 or very close to it adventurers
  • clear caed nua's courtyard and unlock but don't open the Maerwald door
  • explore the new unlocked areas except defiance bay
  • kill stuff, sell stuff, keep upgrading
  • do quests once my prestige is decent to start the stronghold turns and get leveled up

Geez, what a hassle...

I just clear the very first map completely, sell everything (except what I'm wearing), including the crafting materials to Heodan... cause he gives ridiculous amounts of money for it. That leaves me with 2300 something gold before I progress the story, i.e. picking up the watersack. I sell the berry :p

By the time I get to Gilded Vale I'll have enough gold to recruit 5 level 2 companions, so it's just a matter of getting to level 3. Level 3 will be reached after speaking to the dead dwarf lady if you do nothing else but that. (so don't safe the cook yet, don't kill the wolves and Xaurips on the 4th map.. forgot what it's called. I do clear the ruins under Cilant Lis completely though).

That will leave you with exactly 3002 xp, (if you avoid discovering the temple of Eothas on the way to the inn :p), 2 xp above level 3 cap.

2002 xp difference between the watcher and companions is meaningless in the long run.

CFTUCD.jpg

mSLFeC.jpg

DYeYGc.jpg

AEiqXn.jpg

3ezLTG.jpg

BPSBdb.jpg

I then just pick up random standard companions to have them do stronghold quests, but I don't bother with their personal quests. There's more than enough XP in the game.

Edited by Psychevore

I'd pick up companions (temporarily, that is) just to do their quests.  The only thing that might complicate that is where you have to spend time with them to unlock their quests... not sure how that works when you don't want to carry them around with you all the time.  (Maybe dialogue unlocks based on how far into the main quest you are?)