Kyra Healing ability reveal is discarding

zerhackermann

Question

I just noticed that in my current play, Kyra's healing ability is discarding when the game prompts to reveal a card. 

I.e. Kyra has 4 cards in discard. She uses the ability to heal. Reveals a blessing and rolls a 4 (+1) for 5. The 4 discards are moved to the deck and the blessing is discarded. 

So then either:

The game should prompt to Discard to use the healing ability

OR

The game should put the revealed card back in the hand

Or am I missing something?

9 answers to this question

Id you read the power carefully, it says:

1. Reveal a card with Divine trait

2. Recharge 1d4+1 cards from discard pile of a target character at your location

3. THEN discard the revealed card

So, as Norinth said, it's working as intended.

Some cards are spelled like you say: "discard to do X" or "reveal to do X", while others are spelled like this power: "reveal, do X, then discard". This is the original card text. Don't know why the difference. I'd say that at Paizo they didn't make a common database of terms to use on cards.

This is also seen in some card that say "add 1 die to a check" while others say "add 1 die to any check".

Many things in Pathfinder are left to common sense, while people coming from very technically spelled card games (like Magic the gathering) may expect a bit more coherence on the wording

huh. I stand corrected.

Seems confused when you reveal a weapon and then put it back in your hand. And then why bother with the bonus? you end up only being healed for whats on the die anyhow. Why all the convolution? Just do "discard one to get whats on the die" 

Anyways....at least Im not thinking its a bug anymore. thanks

It's more the timing of where that revealed card is. The power is to heal cards currently in your discard pile, and the price of that power is a divine card going to the discard. If you discard first, then you can potential heal back that card you just discarded to trigger the power and be back to a full deck.

@JKNyte: yeah, you're right. It's been too long since I last played the board game and I didn't realize that the two different wordings had this effect on the revealed card ;)

huh. I stand corrected.

Seems confused when you reveal a weapon and then put it back in your hand. And then why bother with the bonus? you end up only being healed for whats on the die anyhow. Why all the convolution? Just do "discard one to get whats on the die"

Anyways....at least Im not thinking its a bug anymore. thanks

It's not confusing. Reveal means show the card then put it back in your hand, like on most weapons, because they are meant to be reusable.

But if a card says "reveal, then discard", In the end the card gets discarded, but only AFTER its effect has been resolved, while by just saying "discard", the cards gets FIRST discarded and THEN its effect takes place. As JKNyte precisely pointed out, that's intended to avoid that the discarded card could be amongst the cards the effect is applied to.