The bug in Crägholdt Bluffs (3.02) is fun. Can we keep the buffed stats?

I encountered this myself yesterday, but it was only when I reached the Torn Bannermen leader. I was feeling like "Bug or no bug, I'll kill all you bastards" (I'm RPing a Bleak Walker named "Gregor", wink) and with some work I was able to pull them in groups of 2-3 enemies at a time. As long as there was only one weapon&shield enemy, the bug was actually making combat a lot more interesting without it being impossible for a lvl 15 party on PotD. Not being apologetic, I actually liked the bugged combat after a while. You just have to buff your party members and then lower the bugged enemy's Will enough so that you can use it to lower his other defenses.

4B9dpen.jpg

UTBOWfF.jpg

VYkJUor.jpg

Eventually I reached Crägholdt's tower and wiped the entrance with some Ancient Death Guards, some of them also with weapon and shield, without having rested after killing the final part of the mercenaries' last remaining group. And GM reached lvl15 just now.

0hTHL5i.jpg

wc7x8C6.jpg

In the end it makes for a fun RPG story, which one of the reasons I play games like this. The irony is that it's all by accident. It wouldn't have been very memorable if it wasn't for the bug.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Its fun when defenses are around 160 Range , = beatable by your base accuracy with priest buffs , when it goes over 200 or more ... 

Anyway i found myself playing Iron Man more often since this bug , which is kinda fun on its own 

Edited by Blunderboss

Sure, that's why I posted screenshots of what levels were fun and said "buffed" not "bugged" in the title.

It was nice having to coordinate my characters and find the right succession of spells needed to bring Will down, and then the other defenses. I think this episode demonstrates both what's good and what's wrong with PoE's combat.

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

If we had a complete list of the relevent map, it could help.

You just have to save properly before, then the map becomes like a mini iron man mode ^^

This is always an option , saving in Caed Nua before you go to visit any endgame map , and then give it a few shots with reloads , then load the earlier save from Caed Nua and try to complete the map without loading or by loading just once . 

Plenty of ways to avoid this bug 

• 1 month later...

I'm lost...can anyone please explain what bug this is and how to recreate/avoid it?

Issue is that on certain errors, consecutive quick saves and loads increase deflection, fortitude, will and reflex of enemies to a point where they become almost untouchable. To avoid that refrain from using quick save/load, normal saving and loading works ok.

Not so much fun in Path of the Damned. The Soldiers, Priests and Veterans have Deflection and Reflex around 250, meaning it's impossible to hit them with normal weapons regardless of buffs or debuffs, and do 3000-6000 damage on every hit, instakilling every character.

I somehow managed to push through by also luring the enemies away from the groups and then hitting them with Form of the Helpless Beast and paralysis spells. It's tactics that border on cheating, though, and I'd rather not have to resort to stuff like that. >_>

Edit: Just to further highlight just how ridiculously tough the Bluffs are with the bug, I'm currently playing though the final chapter. Path of the Damned, elevated difficulty, and I'm absolutely just carving through the enemies: I've reached Iovara without having to use single a per-rest ability or any character coming even close to being knocked out. This same party meanwhile couldn't last 10 seconds against a single enemy in the Bluffs without using the strategy described above. As soon as the enemy reached the party, everyone was dead.

Edit 2: Doesn't look like it has anything to do with Path of the Damned, after all, and it's just the buffs stacking infinitely.

Edited by Sad Panda

I made a hard save before entering every concerned area and treated each one as a mini-Iron man.

It worked well, I didn't die once in Craghold, bog or Abbey. All worked fine, except the time I learned in a corridor that Freezing Rake was wall-bouncing spell. My wizard managed to kill half of the antagonists and two third of my party :banghead: . My remaining chanter and druid had to finish the job themselves.

But I planned to resolve the Abbey as peaceful as I could, and I had to change this because I was not sure about buff stacking each time you enter a new area too.

So I changed my plans, and basically slaughtered everything the first time and entered each area. Quite annoying.

These guys stack 3 abilities:

sword and shield style -> high def/ref

confident aim -> high constant dmg and all grazes converted to hits

critical defense -> all crits converted to hits and all hits converted to grazes

I don't know. I supposed it could happen everywhere. I am a paranoid, you know.

Wait, you mean I have slaughtered the whole abbey for no reason :- ?

Actually, it is probably the hardest area of the game, save a few fights.

EDIT: These stats indeed don't sound natural.

Edited by Elric Galad

It happens in Ondra's Gift with the Animats, where I was quick saving/quick loading a lot due to the relatively high amount of combat there (Bragan/chest thieves/Supply and Demand thugs). Had to take out ~120 deflection Animats with a solo level 7 Fighter on PotD, which is doable with Nature's Mark scrolls followed by Fan of Flames and the Adra Beetle figurine - still it uses resources I would have rather kept for elsewhere. I guess I could have just waited until the patch was out, but it was bothering me to just leave them there.

I'm just using normal save/load exclusively now, but by comparison it's so slow when I could just be clicking a button.

Edited by Jojobobo

It happens in Ondra's Gift with the Animats, where I was quick saving/quick loading a lot due to the relatively high amount of combat there (Bragan/chest thieves/Supply and Demand thugs). Had to take out ~120 deflection Animats with a solo level 7 Fighter on PotD, which is doable with Nature's Mark scrolls followed by Fan of Flames and the Adra Beetle figurine - still it uses resources I would have rather kept for elsewhere. I guess I could have just waited until the patch was out, but it was bothering me to just leave them there.

I'm just using normal save/load exclusively now, but by comparison it's so slow when I could just be clicking a button.

I think the bug happens also with normal saves...

Well that's lame, I thought it was just a result of quick save/quick load. Good thing my fighter is fairly decent, otherwise I'd be getting destroyed.

I don't know. I supposed it could happen everywhere. I am a paranoid, you know.

Wait, you mean I have slaughtered the whole abbey for no reason :- ?

Actually, it is probably the hardest area of the game, save a few fights.

EDIT: These stats indeed don't sound natural.

The High Abbot is an evil man. Why didn't he give a chance for peace? My slaughtering everyone there is no excuse. I killed all the ogres and creedcerans and still became an ally of their leaders. Unbelievable... :no:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Does it happen when you reload from main menu ?

Does this bug happen even on autosaves? I've seen it happen on both regular saves and quicksaves, with autosaves it would really suck as then you're limitted to the amount of times you can effectively enter an area. They really should have just bought at a hotfix for this, while not game breaking it's definitely under the category of extremely annoying. I had to do the Sly Cyrdel bounty with him doing ~200 damage on a hit, it was not fun.

When you reload a save game the enemies in the area having fighter abilities will get them again and if you save while in the area (doesn't matter how) they'll keep their modified stats in the new save. A workaround is to change the area when you want to save (preferably to a cleared area or at least without enemies with shields)

• Like 1