Extra cards and Vault

This may be a dumb question but here we go...

After failing a scenario each time, I would be looking at the deck screen to re-adjust extra cards obtained from the adventure. The question is, for all the cards that are moved to the button of the screen, are they simply lost? Or are they stored somewhere that can be retrieved later?

A related question - though I can see I have cards in the Valut, how do I actually use them? I do not see an option in the deck building screen to show the cards I have in the Vault.

Any help will be appreciated.

Assuming that cards in the Vault are like cards in the box for the physical game, the "Vault" is just the pool of cards that can possibly be encountered during a scenario. If you choose to not keep a card in a deck after a scenario it goes back into that pool. Similarly cards in the Vault can't be used or built directly into decks - other than when you start a new game and can choose any card of the "basic" type to build initial decks. Oh, or if you banished some cards during an adventure and don't have enough cards to rebuild decks fully, the game will pull up the "basic" cards of that type for you to choose from to fill those slots.

After you get farther into the adventure path, the game will open this up so that you can choose more than just the base cards to fill empty deck slots but overall the cards in the Vault are just cards that the game has available to pull from when it randomly builds the location decks.

• Like 1

This confused me as well, I don't know if I thought the cards I didn't keep in my deck after a scenario would later be available to swap in and out because I felt like that's how it "should" work or if the game just didn't explain the mechanics thoroughly.

I even read through the rules but I don't think it's addressed there either (is the Rules section just a complete copy and paste of the physical game's rulebook? The way it reads it seems so since it makes references that don't make sense unless you're physically interacting with cards).

I haven't read the in game rules but if they are indeed just copy pasted from the physical rule book then I can completely understand your confusion, as the Vault is a new term for the video game. In the physical game those cards were "in the box" as in - put away back in the game box if not chosen to be kept in a deck after a game, which I think was a lot more clear.

During card selection, cards that are dragged to the bottom will be put back in the Vault. The Vault is what we call "the box" in our digital game. When you play the game, you will only encounter cards from the Vault. Cards you find in Treasure Chests go directly to the Vault, meaning you have to play the game, encounter the cards, and acquire them.

During card selection, cards that are dragged to the bottom will be put back in the Vault. The Vault is what we call "the box" in our digital game. When you play the game, you will only encounter cards from the Vault. Cards you find in Treasure Chests go directly to the Vault, meaning you have to play the game, encounter the cards, and acquire them.

Is this explained this clearly in the game anywhere?

The part about the cards from treasure chests is explained in the store listing but the rest seems to be either missing or easily missed.

Glad I'm not the only one who was puzzled by this.  So purchasing chests just puts stronger cards in the card pool then.  When I do encounter and acquire one of them/a new card, is it just for that scenario?

At the end of the scenario when that card screen comes up, that's what's letting you choose which cards to continue to keep in your decks going forward. If you picked up a longbow +1 for example, that card will be listed along with your other weapons and its up to you whether you choose to keep the longbow or one of the other cards, based on the number of weapon slots you have available. The cards you have fluctuate greatly over the course of all of the adventures that you go on with that team (and if you start a new game, that game will be treated completely separately, so you'd have to find upgrades again, etc). So the short answer is you can keep cards between scenarios but it depends on what cards you choose when rebuilding your decks after each scenario.

Finding and acquiring (and keeping) good cards is part of the fun and replay ability of the game. For example, I personally love the Father Zantos ally, but in one game maybe he just never comes up and I have to find a way to manage healing without him. Or, you might have to banish something during the adventure to close a location - and that banished card will no longer be available unless you find it again later on. Similarly, buried cards are cards that are basically out of play for the rest of the particular scenario that you are on, but are still in your deck for the next scenario, unless you specifically choose to ditch them when rearranging decks between scenarios.

Hope that clears things up.

Edited by Brainwave

Just a tip if you want to "cheat" the system a bit:

Each character has a required number of cards the MUST have, this is found after a mission during the deck editing phase. If you can not meet the required numbers, you are allowed to take cards from the Vault to make up the difference.

So, start the second mission in the first story line (the one with the Pillbug poisoner guy), this mission has a few closing conditions that involve Banishing cards. Assign the character whose deck you want to edit to one of these locations, assign all of your party members to another location that does not involve Banishing. Play ONLY with the character whose deck you want to edit, pass on every other character's turn. As you play be sure to get 1 card you want to Banish in your hand per location. BE SURE TO NOT ACQUIRE ANY CARDS OF THE SAME TYPE AS THOSE YOU WANT TO BANISH! After you have Banished a few (or all) you can fail the mission. Then it will prompt you to rebuild your deck using the Vault. :)

At the end of the scenario when that card screen comes up, that's what's letting you choose which cards to continue to keep in your decks going forward. If you picked up a longbow +1 for example, that card will be listed along with your other weapons and its up to you whether you choose to keep the longbow or one of the other cards, based on the number of weapon slots you have available. The cards you have fluctuate greatly over the course of all of the adventures that you go on with that team (and if you start a new game, that game will be treated completely separately, so you'd have to find upgrades again, etc). So the short answer is you can keep cards between scenarios but it depends on what cards you choose when rebuilding your decks after each scenario.

Finding and acquiring (and keeping) good cards is part of the fun and replay ability of the game. For example, I personally love the Father Zantos ally, but in one game maybe he just never comes up and I have to find a way to manage healing without him. Or, you might have to banish something during the adventure to close a location - and that banished card will no longer be available unless you find it again later on. Similarly, buried cards are cards that are basically out of play for the rest of the particular scenario that you are on, but are still in your deck for the next scenario, unless you specifically choose to ditch them when rearranging decks between scenarios.

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks so much.  So I just started over with a new party.  Finished first mission with 4, 3 survived.  The three new cards I got, if I don't take them into the next mission, they go where?  Back into the vault where I could stumble upon them again?  Or nowhere to be seen ever again with this party?

After you have Banished a few (or all) you can fail the mission. Then it will prompt you to rebuild your deck using the Vault. :)

If it works like the physical game, then you'd only be able to choose from basic cards, not any card in your vault. So you wouldn't be able to add something like Father Zantos to your deck. I imagine the digital version must work the same? Since you can customize your starting deck with basic cards when starting a new character anyway, it's not really worth the effort.

I see....you only get one real chance to tweak your deck, and that is after a mission.  The cards I removed to make way for new ones float back into the vault then.

Yes, back into the vault. But don't worry too much about it, the basics you choose from initially aren't that amazing for the most part and will be replaced with better non basic cards anyway. And if you choose to ditch a card between adventures and later realize it was OP, you'll probably encounter it again later.

• Like 1

After you have Banished a few (or all) you can fail the mission. Then it will prompt you to rebuild your deck using the Vault. :)

If it works like the physical game, then you'd only be able to choose from basic cards, not any card in your vault. So you wouldn't be able to add something like Father Zantos to your deck. I imagine the digital version must work the same? Since you can customize your starting deck with basic cards when starting a new character anyway, it's not really worth the effort.

Hmm, maybe. I found this out early in the game, so I don't thing I would have had anything interesting in there (and now that you say that I don't want to retry it...)