Bug: Combat Check Results

Bstrait57

Question

Just downloaded this for my Android device.  First off - I love it!  Great implementation.  However, there is one bug that has made this game unplayable for me since it is becoming more and more frequent.

This is what happens: I choose what cards I will use for my roll on a combat check, I roll the die, and even if I succeed at the check I still fail and take damage.

I first noticed an instance where I missed the check by 2, recharged chain-mail (reduce damage by 2), but still had to discard 1 card for damage. I started to pay more attention, and these are two more instances where this just happened:

Bugbear, combat 10.  I roll an 11, and the result: I take 3 combat damage.

Enchanter, combat 8. I take the first Force damage (discard), roll a 13, and the result: I take 7 combat damage.

Both of those checks were made by Kyra and, as a result, she ended up dying fairly quickly.

Is there a rule I missed that would make this happen? Or has anyone else encountered this bug?

20 answers to this question

That's very odd.

What device and OS are you running the game on?

My apologies, I just read through some of the stickies and noticed that my device (a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime, Android version 5.1.1) is not supported. That may be the issue?

If not, pass & play was off, permadeath was on, story mode (Brigandoom), Merisiel and Kyra, both in the Woods.

The checks were with a Blessing of the Gods and a Superior Longsword.

Were there any effects that modifed difficulty of checks in place?

I tried to find something, but noticed nothing except that the Enchanter has a "difficulty is increased by the Adventure number" effect.

If you run into this again, can you provide a screenshot?  It's fine if it's after the roll and during the discard phase.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I have had he same problem many times. Minutes ago I encountered a henchman with difficulty of 10, +2 if you use a ranged weapon. Used a ranged weapon, rolled 13, have to take three damage. This is far from the first time I have encountered this problem as well.

Playing on iPad. Latest iOS.

I have seen this numerous times. The dice roll make me win the battle by up to 4 but I lose and get hit for up to 7 damages. I checked the monter, my cards and the location for penalties that explain it.

I use an iPad Air.

Were there any effects that modifed difficulty of checks in place?

I tried to find something, but noticed nothing except that the Enchanter has a "difficulty is increased by the Adventure number" effect.

If you run into this again, can you provide a screenshot?  It's fine if it's after the roll and during the discard phase.  Thanks!

I am wondering if this is due to the weapon proficiency. Perhaps it is causing a bug?  As you can see, I am playing as Kyra (who is not proficient with weapons) and using the Dull Longsword, which increases checks by 4 if not proficient.  I knew that before doing these checks, so I kept my eye on the roll results while playing last night to make sure it wasn't just me.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to upload these until just now and I have since forgotten what exactly I rolled.

3H26bgM.png

zXA847g.png

The following is a before and after. I knew I wasn't going to meet the check requirement, but I rolled more than a 4 which is why I took this screenshot last night:

cHrOm7U.png

LysnpaV.png

Week, the +4 difficulty is taken into account, in fact the encounter difficulty is 18. But he said he rolled more than 4, so the 14 damage seems odd.

Unless the were some penalties to the dice roll to take into account, but those would be indicated under the dice pool in the first image, so I think it's worth checking out.

The only issue I had with miscalculations until now has been a cumulative penalty from Waterfront location every time I close and open the game. It started at -3, I closed the app and when I got back ad continued the scenario, it was -6. Quitting the game and continuing again bumped the penalty to -9 o_O after which it stopped increasing even if I tried and closed the app a few times more to check.

Knowing this, the damage calculation could be at odds too sometimes.

I hope everything gets fixed as soon as possible because I love the card game and this digital version is great so far.

Also, remember that the Waterfront weapon-use penalty cancels Kyra's +2 Melee skill when you're rolling two dice.  So if the dice came up a 4 total, you could take 14 damage.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

Also, remember that the Waterfront weapon-use penalty cancels Kyra's +2 Melee skill when you're rolling two dice.  So if the dice came up a 4 total, you could take 14 damage.

True, and I had taken note of that.  I will keep my eye on what exactly i roll and see if it happens again so I can be precise.  I truly hope these aren't a result of my doing math horribly in my head.  

It would be nice to see the actual roll result somewhere after a check is attempted. Sometimes it shows so fast I barely catch it.  And then I'm left thinking, "Wait... didn't I roll high enough?  I thought I did..."

I had a similar problem.  I encountered an enchantress, difficulty 8, no other modifies, I rolled 2d6 and got a 6 with a Plus 2, but failed by four.  The only thing I can think of, is that twice earlier in the adventure I encountered a surprise attack and failed to defeat it.  Could it be possible that the -1 per die wasn't getting removed after the one encounter and it kept building with each failure?

I had a similar problem.  I encountered an enchantress, difficulty 8, no other modifies, I rolled 2d6 and got a 6 with a Plus 2, but failed by four.  The only thing I can think of, is that twice earlier in the adventure I encountered a surprise attack and failed to defeat it.  Could it be possible that the -1 per die wasn't getting removed after the one encounter and it kept building with each failure?

Is it at all possible you were using a character who was not (yet) proficient with weapons, and he/she was using a weapon that adds 4 to the difficulty when wielded by a character who isn't proficient?

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."