Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Sorcerer's Apprentice (twisted sneaky dps scroll user)

class build rogue

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12979 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I guess it was not intended at first. But it adds something nice to the rogue - so I hope they leave it like it is. Or - as I said - I wouldn't mind a tlant that unlocks deathblows and/or Sneak Attack for spells and scrolls.

• chickenhed, MaxQuest and Blunderboss like this

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Vicious Aim seems to work with scrolls.

Any idea if Stunning Shots does? Still requires enemies to be engaged with your pet, but if it works with AoE spells that could be interesting. 

The idea of a Barbarian variation on the SA using Brute Force (scroll nuke spellcasters who have low fortitude?), Greater Frenzy, the yells, Dragon Leap, and that spell-stealing morning star with Carnage amuses me (too bad Carnage no longer works with touch spells apparently).... 

Edited by SaruNi, 14 February 2017 - 04:23 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12979 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Acuan Giamas'ses spell stealing works with carnage. It's fun. The best part is that Blood Thirst and Bloodlust also get triggered by kills via spells. They both stack with Frenzy. If you manage to steal Calling the World's Maw from an ogre Druid and start to cast it with no recovery the game breaks.

Edited by Boeroer, 15 February 2017 - 12:16 AM.

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Acuan Giamas'ses spell stealing works with carnage. It's fun. The best part is that Blood Thirst and Bloodlust also get triggered by kills via spells. They both stack with Frenzy. If you manage to steal Calling the World's Maw from an ogre Druid and start to cast it with no recovery the game breaks.

Wow... Blood Thirst is much interesting than I thought (and I didn't realize that, despite being WMII content, it's available as early as level 7)... so presumably it works with scrolls and items too. So if there's a mob of weak enemies around a few strong enemies, AoE damage could be positioned to kill at least one weak enemy while purposefully missing others to kill with subsequent casts/attacks in order to maintain 0 recovery time between casts while damaging the stronger enemies with each cast (I'd guess retaliation and DoT effects count towards Blood Thirst too)....

Edited by SaruNi, 15 February 2017 - 05:51 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12979 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Retaliation works, but DoT effects don't. At least the last time I tried. :(

Edited by Boeroer, 15 February 2017 - 10:40 PM.

Dorftek

Dorftek

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 820 posts

This build still viable? Have u tried soloing on this build?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12979 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Mechanics that concern this build haven't changed, so it still should be viable. 

I did not try to solo with this build. It's build like a glass cannon and that's not good for a solo run. When soloing with a rogue I would always use Shadowing Beyond. 

• Dorftek likes this

Dorftek

Dorftek

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 820 posts
Great! Yeah id change the build a bit, made a similar build 1.5 years ago by stacking spell holding items on my rogue with a shield. Devastating dmg while still being able to tank, tho he was supported by a group to stack debuffs on enemies. Not sure how it would work while soloing. I am going to try it out. Got bored with the monk, such a boring class :p

Petey488

Petey488

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

Sorry for posting in an old post, but can you possible make a recommendation on the stats if a person did not like to min max?

Thanks!

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12979 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
How low is ok for you?

Petey488

Petey488

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts

Hmmm, I guess I have a hard time justifying anything below an 8.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12979 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
MIG: 16
CON: 08
DEX: 16
PER: 14
INT: 16
RES: 08

Voilà! :)

Edited by Boeroer, 13 February 2018 - 06:38 PM.

El Kabong

El Kabong

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
Hello!

Ive been trying to make this build for a long time, but I’m kinda thorn between this and a wizard per se.

My main thing is: I want the character to have nice mental stats for RP purposes. In this regard what do you think it would be better, from an RP and fun points of view: this guy or your Zeblastian?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12979 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Hmm, from a fun point of view? Hard to say. Both will drop down pretty quickly once targeted, so this can be frustrating.

From lvl 11 on this is pure fun - especially with a fellow wizard who can provide afflictions.

Spell binding gear and scrolls will be rare in the early game, so the beginning will be more rough. But taking Prestidigitator's Missiles and Penetrating Shot early is nice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: class build, rogue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users