Due to how easily and how early u can get this item and the overpowered spellholding effect it has, I think this item is really a cheese and never use it myself. Although it's direction and cast condition is a bit random, we can't deny that line aoe stun/high damage spell is too powerful for a per encounter attribute on an item.

I don't think Overwhelming Wave itself is overpowered because it normally stuns foes and friends alike.

Is the sheet's spell still foe only? Because that's what makes the difference.

If it would also stun allies nobody would say it's overpowered.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It only affects enemies, allies are not affected AFAIK. Its a pretty amazing item in short term battles especially since IMO, Overwhelming Wave is one of the best spells in the game in general. The item does have a a lot against it though, since the direction of the wave is based on the enemy that scored a crit on you. As such it won't always reliably hit all enemies in the group. In long term battles, the item is a lot less powerful since it can only fire it off once, and then it doesn't really provide any other additional effects (Though I suppose there's Recall Agony).

The major thing with the item though, is that its gotten through an Adventure from your Stronghold. You're not always guaranteed to get it in every playthrough. Sometimes you might get it early, sometimes you might not even get it at all.

It only affects enemies, allies are not affected AFAIK. Its a pretty amazing item in short term battles especially since IMO, Overwhelming Wave is one of the best spells in the game in general. The item does have a a lot against it though, since the direction of the wave is based on the enemy that scored a crit on you. As such it won't always reliably hit all enemies in the group. In long term battles, the item is a lot less powerful since it can only fire it off once, and then it doesn't really provide any other additional effects (Though I suppose there's Recall Agony).

The major thing with the item though, is that its gotten through an Adventure from your Stronghold. You're not always guaranteed to get it in every playthrough. Sometimes you might get it early, sometimes you might not even get it at all.

You can easily got a Major adventure at the begin of Act II. IMO lots of adventure gear is too good for Act II, like that mourning gloves and binding rope which hit enemy with stuck effect without saving.

The cloak of comfort, if compared to other defensive gears, is the best defensive neck slot, which u can just get from the begin of the game, without finishing any tough tasks.

Edited by dunehunter

Swaddling sheet packs so much defense that no ammount of deflection can bring

Sanguine Plate when durganized is 2% recovery 16+ DR +2 Survival +4 Might & Con armor , that can proc frenzy twice , yep not even barbarian can do that .

Shod-in-Faith on well built melee will heal everyone to full for whole duration and not only those in melee range

And so forth , use all 3 items on one character and you are op

Edited by Blunderboss

Swaddig sheet for me will be totally ok if it process really only 1 time every fight. Since it is currenly bugged ( at last for me), as long as you have a charachter with enough endurance or regeneration it can win battles alone for you. In my last monk run ( the illuminated master build ) i stopped to use it in wm1 after i started to istantly win all the fights vs the languefath... I see them, they paralyze me, swaddig sheet procs 5-6 times in a row, no enemys left in the whole screen! First time is laugh, second meh, third boring.

Yeh it kinda seems suspicious that once Overhelming Wave procs all the enemies will get stunned for max duration , i mean atleast half of them should get grazed or missed by it especially dragons and the like , currently it just stuns everybody 

Edited by Blunderboss

Which game version do you have? In 3.2 Overwhelming Wave only procs once from Swaddling Sheet, but there is still some kind of bug, that makes it hit every foe two times. But this is true for all Spell-Holding items. Once this bug is fixed I think it will be more balanced I guess.

Also keep in mind that, if you get this item as soon as possible through save scumming, it is your own decision to use it that early, but the game clearly wasn't balanced with this item in mind for the first stages of the game.

Edited by L4wlight

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull: