I am having trouble figuring out how exactly cipher"s focus generation is calculating.  I have noticed it being variable instead of the stated 33% from draining whip up to 55% percent on attacks made.  While using bittercut with corrosive lash I was hitting normally for around 45 to 55%  focus generation for attack damage and lash.  I switched to drawn in spring to test a separate weapon and found a similar upscale in focus generation but none seemed to generate while the wounding lash was doing the DoT.  I was hitting crits on some attacks but I am taking note of the total damage combined between the two.  I don't know if it is a bug or if any might is directly added to soul whip similar to normal attacks, as in 3 might adds 9% whip to 42%?

I am having trouble figuring out how exactly cipher"s focus generation is calculating.  I have noticed it being variable instead of the stated 33% from draining whip up to 55% percent on attacks made. [...]

Look how it works:

By default, cipher gets 0.35 of physical (melee or ranged) damage dealt as focus.

Draining whip increases this coefficient by 33%. So it is 0.35 * 1.33 = 0.4655

Having Talisman of Unconquerable increases that gain furthermore, in multiplicative manner: 0.35 * 1.33 * 1.25 = 0.5818

When you attack with a weapon that has non raw-lash, all post-DR damage is summed up, and multiplied by that coefficient. That's your focus gain.

Examples: (against target with 5 corrode DR and 20 slash/freeze)

- v1: Bittercut with corrode enchant: 26.5 - 5DR = 21.5 Corrode + 5.4 corrode | post-DR total is 26.9

- v2: Bittercut with freeze enchant: 35.2 - 5DR = 30.2 Corrode + 3.8 freeze | post-DR total is 34.0

- v3: Bittercut with freeze enchant: 21.5 - 5DR = 16.5 Corrode (MIN) + 0.4 freeze | post-DR total is 16.9

5.4 = (26.5 - 5)/4 or 26.5/4 - 5/4

3.8 = (35.2 - 20)/4

0.4 = (21.5 - 20)/4 | * note that although it displays MIN, lash damage doesn't have that minimal of x0.2 DR bypass

Notes:

- DoTs and raw lashes do not generate focus

- Aefyllath chant does increase focus gain

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 4