Game title a reference to song on Down album 'NOLA' ?

Hello everyone.  I made an account just to post this here.  I love Pillars of Eternity, and I'm also a big fan of metal in all forms.  While I was listening to Down's album NOLA (released in 1995) today, I happened to realize that one of the tracks on the album is in fact titled "Pillars of Eternity."  Having never made the connection before, I had to ask here.  Can anyone confirm if this is purely a coincidence, or is someone at Obsidian a big fan of Down, and the game and/or it's title was influenced by this?

The lyrics of the song, for kicks:  

Crumbling world falls through my hands
In my mouth taste bitter sands.
Grass is burning, pulse is slow.
Drip by drip my backwards growth... crawl.
Fade to hate.
And I'll die within my fade
Wine, song, women, birth
This deflowered mother earth
Planting, plowing, how she grieves.
The seeds that grow these dying trees
Fade to hate.

For what it's worth, I think the lyrics of the song are quite fitting and could possibly have inspired the dark fantasy setting of PoE.

Edited by LegendaryDude
  • Like 2

Doubtful, as the working title on KS was 'Project Eternity', so Eternity was there from the beginning. They changed it to Pillars once they started working the story. So likely a coincidence. But one never knows. Hopefully a dev can chime in for an official word on it.

Down is a fine band, I remember making the connection when the title was first announced but I kinda forgot about it soon after. Personally, I don't think there's any connection but who knows? It's a pretty cool coincidence at the very least.

Though I must say I never really liked that song though I really enjoy the album overall.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0