The news is still being confirmed, but we may have lost Prince.  This has already been a tough year for musicians, but this one hits me the hardest.  Prince was simply an unprecedented talent.  Here is his out of this world Superbowl performance from a few years back...

Rumor is there is just a massive trove of recordings locked away in his compound in Minneapolis.  My only consolation is that I hope we get to hear some of those unreleased gems.  :(

• Like 1

Chyna and now this. Bad day for celebrities.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What? Get outta here, he can't be dead.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

CNN says a family member confirmed it:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/entertainment/prince-estate-death/

Publicist also confirms according to Minnesota Star Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/authorities-investigating-death-at-prince-s-paisley-park/376578441/#1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

CNN says a family member confirmed it:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/entertainment/prince-estate-death/

Publicist also confirms according to Minnesota Star Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/authorities-investigating-death-at-prince-s-paisley-park/376578441/#1

The ****

The guy didn't even look old.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Rumors suggest it was a bad case of influenza and fever that simply overwhelmed his system. He was admitted 5 days ago to a hospital because of flu-like symptoms, but was able to perform a concert the day after.

Not confirmed to be the cause of death though.

Fortune favors the bald.

Wow. He was at a Warriors game a few weeks ago the night before a concert in Oakland. He gave out a free CD to the 20,000 in attendance. He had a cane and dark shades, but other than that, he looked healthy enough.

It was a good night.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Once again...

there is a saying in my country: "Bad dogs just won't die"

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I just heard on the way home. Very sad. For my money the Superbowl halftime show he did a few years ago was the best one ever: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Godspeed, Effeminate Air Conditioning Repair Guy

• Like 3

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Minneapolis makes my personal top 10 North American Cities list (and I've been to all the major, and most of the minor ones), and in some ways ranks as my #1 for art/music scene (New York beats it out overall, but on a per capita type basis, especially musicwise. Minneapolis is where it's at (even above Burlington, Austin, and New Orleans (3 amazing cities for similar reasons)).

The scene there is nothing short of awesome, and to a large degree Prince is responsible for this. Directly and indirectly he funded one hell of an artistic scene there. He very much gave back to what he felt he received from that town, and while this is fairly well known within the city itself and very well known in the music industry, it's not all that well known amongst the populace at large.

I partied very hardy in college, went to a school that consistently ranks 'top party school' lists, have hung more than a few times at Ohio State (the school I personally think is the best party school, even though I didn't go there (Columbus is just awesome, even the rabbi there does keg stands (I've held his legs))), organized and threw many great parties myself, but the absolute best house party I've ever been to in my entire life was in Minneapolis (#2 was in Austin), in a house that Prince owned (but did not live in (he essentially was sponsoring the artists who did live there)). Memorable in ways that would take a few pages to fill.

While I never met Prince while I was there, his spirit was everywhere. He was revered like no other artist I've ever seen by any given artistic community, and the respect for him, universal.

Losing him, of course, was a surprise, though I was aware of his failing health. Flu, and cane. The cane of course indicating a greater ailment. People talk of all the greats we lost this year as if it's some unique year. It isn't. We lose greats all the time. However, it's not that common for us to lose such a unique person who lives such a healthy life so young. Prince lived a life most people should, in terms of health (at least insofar as he always preached and publicly indicated) and outlook, yet something got him, before what should have been his time (57 is too young to die). It's a reminder for everyone that life is short and precious. Do what you can with it while you can. You only get one shot, and that shot could be over tomorrow.

In my opinion, he was one of the few pure artists out there in the mainstream, in the sense that not only did he do his own thing, all else be damned, but he was consistently original, an extremely intelligent person, and wasn't afraid to speak his mind (on the relatively rare occasions that he did, as he very much appreciated his privacy). Few folks in the music industry had the respect he had within it, and even fewer deserved it like he did.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

Sirius XM has turned channel 58 into an all Prince tribute channel. I hate to say it but it does get old kinda fast.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I like what the 80's on 8 did. They played Prince, but they mixed in other bands and artists that were either connected or influenced by him. I thought that was a nice touch.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle