I like the look and feel of the weapon, but I'm not feeling "it" as any sort of decent tool in a fighter's arsenal, especially when compared to the Grey Sleeper, Abydon's Hammer or The Unlabored Blade. Will defenses are generally higher than deflection anyway. Right now I'm pondering giving it to my Stormcaller Ranger, so she can at least hold her own in melee without dying right away whenever something is giving her funny looks, but it would be gimmicky as hell. So instead it lies in my stash, unbound and unblooded.

Likewise, I don't really see it as a working tool for a rogue or monk apart from the invulnerability to fear/terror, since chance on kill isn't exactly practical and fists are so much better most of the time. I don't run with other classes.

I'm looking at the boards, and the weapon keeps popping up. How are you using it?

I think it is really poor for offense, but has nice defensive properties, especially the druid, ranger and barbarian version.

So giving it to a (ranged) ranger as you do or to a druid, as Thundercat build does on this forum, makes sense. It might even be considered "best in slot item" for them. I don't really see other purposes.

• Like 1

Personally I like to give it to a paladin with Worn Buckler. Sunlance with high might and Scion of Flame is devastating and it has 15% chance to proc which isn't too bad. Zealous Focus and One Handed Style help you reduce grazes and the proc will be even more consistent.

• Like 2

The fear imunity is nice for tanking dragons.

Honnestly, not that much. I always use prayer against fear (priest or scroll) for dragons fight. It is important to protect your whole party against fear, not only 1 dude. In this condition, steadfast immunity becomes irrelevant.

While it has fear immunity, you can also easily get fear immunity with a 2 lore scroll, or a low level priest spell, for dragon fights (only time fear is really an issue). sadly, no amount of accuracy makes up for losing a weapon elemental lash enchantment, so targeting will is not a big deal even if Will is always lower. Lashes simply do more damage than a critical hit. The fact it also can't have Durgan steel is yet another good reason to avoid the sword.

The soulbound dagger is much better, I think, since "firebug" can do huge amounts of damage and it has a very important attack speed buff. Probably the only soulbound I think is worth using.

Edited by Braven

While it has fear immunity, you can also easily get fear immunity with a 2 lore scroll, or a low level priest spell, for dragon fights (only time fear is really an issue). sadly, no amount of accuracy makes up for losing a weapon elemental lash enchantment, so steadfast is not a big deal even if Will was always lower. Lashes simply do more damage than a critical. So, I am not a big fan of the sword. The soulbound dagger is much better, I think, since "firebug" can do hug amounts of damage and has an attack speed buff.

Why would soulbound dagger be on tank ? 

Nobody is saying steadfast is better than Unlabored Blade , however it can be useful on tank for Fear Immunity when tanking dragons especially because you not gonna be casting a scroll when you need to pick up dragon and turn it away from party .

In general i dont care what damage my tanks melee weapon does even if he is doing damage its not by melee attacks , having any kind of free immunity on front line tanky character is great . 

Edited by Blunderboss
  • Like 1

Being a tank and being a damage dealer are not mutually exclusive. I think fighters are best speced aggressively and can still tank optimally.

The dagger was my preferred weapon with fighter. With zero attack recovery and a single weapon (no other weapon stealing action time), it procs firebug constantly. Each firebug hit does around 80 damage and bounces five times... So hundreds of damage in total. Fighters can even reach zero recovery with plate and holding a shield with that dagger, thanks to armored grace, a stacking speed bonus no other class gets.

Fighters can both have the best defenses and highest damage in your party if built correctly.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

The fear imunity is nice for tanking dragons.

Honnestly, not that much. I always use prayer against fear (priest or scroll) for dragons fight. It is important to protect your whole party against fear, not only 1 dude. In this condition, steadfast immunity becomes irrelevant.

My dragon tactic came down to sending Eder to get hit by the dragon and whatever mobs he has while the party buffs out of aggro range so it worked out. The fighters job isn't to deal damage anyway so the defensive stats on it with a shield made sense for him.

• Like 2

I think it is really poor for offense, but has nice defensive properties, especially the druid, ranger and barbarian version.

So giving it to a (ranged) ranger as you do or to a druid, as Thundercat build does on this forum, makes sense. It might even be considered "best in slot item" for them. I don't really see other purposes.

I second that. It's especially good on shapeshifter druids, because they don't need to use their equipped weapon to attack physically, thus the offesive potential of the weapon is highly uninteresting. It's only purpuse in this very case is to serve them well while beeing in kith form and casting preparational stuff.

Edited by L4wlight

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

Most enemies have higher Will than Deflection? Do you have a source for this? In my anecdotal experience the opposite was true...

Yeah I was thinking the same.

Well of course, it's based on my anecdotal experience, for me the only really important defense to check was Fortitude (I'm running a party with a ton of prone effects). I almost never use Will and rarely Reflexes attacks, and whenever I felt the need to check on these resists, they always appeared to be higher than their deflection. I'm pretty sure Crowns of the Faithful was the culprit now that I think about it, as it gave them Ondrites +25 deflection and +62 will.

Edited by Esajin

Being a tank and being a damage dealer are not mutually exclusive. I think fighters are best speced aggressively and can still tank optimally.

The dagger was my preferred weapon with fighter. With zero attack recovery and a single weapon (no other weapon stealing action time), it procs firebug constantly. Each firebug hit does around 80 damage and bounces five times... So hundreds of damage in total. Fighters can even reach zero recovery with plate and holding a shield with that dagger, thanks to armored grace, a stacking speed bonus no other class gets.

Fighters can both have the best defenses and highest damage in your party if built correctly.

That's my setup. Except I don't use a shield nor armored grace, but that's irrelevant. Fighter wielding the Unlabored Blade and nothing else, 121 base accuracy, and I'm not even trying to keep it high. Firebug bounces up to 8 times by the way, and it can (and will) go back and forth between the two closest until they both die. I could raise the attack rate through the roof, but my party's already too powerful to my taste.

How are you using it?

As an offset weapon for a main-tank paladin.

First set: Shame-or-Glory/Strike-Hard + Outworn/Little Saviour | this set is used when tank is near party on easy/medium encounters.

Second set: Steadfast + Old Gerun's Wall | when sending pala to solo tank dragons.

• Like 1

Huh.  I have a crit/dual wield rogue build and this thing rarely procs for me.  I had just about given up on it.  So the action time steal is the culprit?  I just figured the percentage proc was bugged or flat out wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look and feel of the weapon, but I'm not feeling "it" as any sort of decent tool in a fighter's arsenal, especially when compared to the Grey Sleeper, Abydon's Hammer or The Unlabored Blade. Will defenses are generally higher than deflection anyway. Right now I'm pondering giving it to my Stormcaller Ranger, so she can at least hold her own in melee without dying right away whenever something is giving her funny looks, but it would be gimmicky as hell. So instead it lies in my stash, unbound and unblooded.

Likewise, I don't really see it as a working tool for a rogue or monk apart from the invulnerability to fear/terror, since chance on kill isn't exactly practical and fists are so much better most of the time. I don't run with other classes.

I'm looking at the boards, and the weapon keeps popping up. How are you using it?

Don't believe what people are saying on here.

Throw steadfast in the bin. Seriously, it is a completely useless piece of ****.

There are arguments on here saying that it is a good defensive weapon on a druid ect......I don't no about you but my Druids sit on the outskirts of battle throwing spells and using ranged weapons like bows and firearms. If your needing a sword that heals you when you get hit you are doing something seriously wrong.

There are literally about 20 or so other weapons that are better of steadfast in terms of offence. The most attractive part about steadfast is the 15% proc for Pallys and priests for sunlance. Even at 15% that is to unreliable to matter for when it counts and I usually have 3-4 casters in my party that are 100% guaranteed to land spells WHEN it COUNTS.

Like I said throw it in the bin

The heal will only work when they have it equipped not just in there weapon slot. Waste of time doing this.

Don't believe what people are saying on here.

Throw steadfast in the bin. Seriously, it is a completely useless piece of ****.

There are arguments on here saying that it is a good defensive weapon on a druid ect......I don't no about you but my Druids sit on the outskirts of battle throwing spells and using ranged weapons like bows and firearms. If your needing a sword that heals you when you get hit you are doing something seriously wrong.

There are literally about 20 or so other weapons that are better of steadfast in terms of offence. The most attractive part about steadfast is the 15% proc for Pallys and priests for sunlance. Even at 15% that is to unreliable to matter for when it counts and I usually have 3-4 casters in my party that are 100% guaranteed to land spells WHEN it COUNTS.

For dragon fights, yeah the immunity to terrified is good but good luck taking a dragon down with this thing. Use a scroll on your entire group and only attack the dragon with steadfast if you want to die in less then 15 seconds.

Like I said throw it in the bin

Edited by Kingsman

On a fighter/chanter/wizard it can be really good. Most of the time the will defense is lower than deflection. And if you also play with a Brute Force Barb (which requires the same debuffs to be effective - most of the time weakened an sickened - and some of the wizard's and preist's stuff that lowers RES or INT directly) it's a nice synergy.

Also: on a druid tank (as I sucessfully played one) it's nice to trigger a healing spell from time to time. Not gamechanging, but nice to have.

I used a hatchet nevertheless in the end because I never ever used my weapon to attack.

However - i think it's best on Monk, Rogue, Cipher, since Champion's Boon in kill is so great and all of those classes tend to kill a lot.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

However - i think it's best on Monk, Rogue, Cipher, since Champion's Boon in kill is so great and all of those classes tend to kill a lot.

It's only 25% chance and Steadfast has to deal the killing blow, for 30% more dmg... For me it's one of the worst procs.

Steadfast is however very good on tanky paladins:

- paladins can reduce grazes by picking single weapon style and zealous focus (which means an effective 10% chance to proc)

- it benefits from scion of flame

- it adds more defense

Pallegina can deal 100dmg with it - that's like dealing 10 more dmg with each hit (a lash, on average, adds like 5-6 more dmg). The proc is also very strong because it uses weapon's accuracy and it adds another +10 bonus to it - which means mostly hits and crits.

Of course it's far from the best dps weapons but you can't have everything superb and durganized and from that perspective it earns easily its place on a npc.

• Like 1

But isn't Steadfast's Champion's Boon AoE? I think it's a very good enchantment if you try to steal kills anyway (for whatever reason). Imagine you casting Champion's Boon for free and thus boosting all your friends' MIG around you by 10. It's the only way to boost a chanter's The Dragon Thrashed for example. And I don't think it's hard to kill for a rogue with Steadfast. Sure, only 25% is a bit meh - but on the other hand the healing and the chances for paladins are quite underwhelming. The worst part is that you have to kill with Steadfast itself - so dual wielding or bash are bad for you.

What I wanted yo ask: does it count if your monk kills foes with the crush AoE of Torment's Reach?

Edit: Ah! I totally forgot about Sunlance. I thought paladins also got healing when getting hit. Sunlance is of course the best enchantment on it. Too bad paladins can't have carnage.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think not, but i'm not sure. I tryed steadfast in my double wield monk build ( illuminated master ) but i abandoned it for double purgatory, sice the proc of Champions boon where very rare ( i did the whole iron flail fort in solo and saw it activate only 2 times, spamming torment reach all' day long) The main problem was that i killed all the people with purgatory and no One with steadfast because the sword deal much more less DMG.