Josh Sawyer promoted to Obsidian's "Design Director"

Infinitron

The potential drawback of becoming a management-type is that you don't get hands on work as often as you're too busy directing the efforts of other people. On the other hand you get more influence over the vision of the projects you're directing. Personally I prefer getting my hands dirty with the nitty gritty details. Attending meetings all the time gets rather old.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/142967942921/congratulations-on-your-promotion-does-it

melnorme asked: Congratulations on your promotion. Does it actually mean anything, though?

It means I’m responsible for helping with overall design direction at the studio.  I’ve always talked to designers on other teams about their work, but now it’s part of my job.  I talk to individual designers at all levels about challenges they’re facing and what they’re trying to accomplish.  I also talk to producers and game directors about high-level design direction and focus.  I try to play our games regularly to give feedback on specific issues I come across as well as areas where a team is doing well.  I help review all incoming design applications and sit in on as many design interviews as is reasonable.

Currently I’m revising and updating old documentation that covers basic design principles that Obsidian has used and continues to use in our games.  Obsidian is a lot larger now than it was ten years ago.  Tribal knowledge only goes so far and all standards documentation needs to be regularly reviewed.

Edited by Infinitron

A lot of codexers will have nightmares.

Not really. The majority of the people there don't care enough about Obsidian these days for that to happen.

Too busy playing Fallout 4 I take it?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not really. The majority of the people there don't care enough about Obsidian these days for that to happen.

Too busy playing Fallout 4 I take it?

You must spent at least 100 hours in a game you despise so you can properly explain some noob why he is wrong for liking the game. That's just common sense.

• Like 6

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

really? tyranny topic is like hundreds of pages there XD

that josh sawyer interview got dozens of pages too. even 80% of those posts are flame or hate stuff, they still care enough to talk alot of obsidian lol

Edited by apolloooo

Ugh, I hate when I get sucked into reading the Codex.  :p

That being said, this thread would probably get more attention in the C&C area.  Not a lot of traffic comes through this way.