What is a pet worth?

Guard Dog

I would pick 6 babes over a pet that's attacked somebody. There have been pets who have attacked family and the public. I'm deadly serious when I say I have no guilt throwing Cujo overboard to make room for 6 members of a cheer leader squad. So in summary, I am saying there are pets in this world whose life I would consider less than people because of the horrendous deeds and actions those pets have committed.

I don't know about that. Six teenage girls with you in a rowboat lost at sea with all the hardships that entails? After two days their complaining alone will make you wish you had the dog back!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I would pick 6 babes over a pet that's attacked somebody. There have been pets who have attacked family and the public. I'm deadly serious when I say I have no guilt throwing Cujo overboard to make room for 6 members of a cheer leader squad. So in summary, I am saying there are pets in this world whose life I would consider less than people because of the horrendous deeds and actions those pets have committed.

I don't know about that. Six teenage girls with you in a rowboat lost at sea with all the hardships that entails? After two days their complaining alone will make you wish you had the dog back!

:lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You so clever Hiro comparing what horrific deeds a pet can do to group like ISIS

You insight never ceases to amaze 

You so clever Bruce. Taking ISIS as the standard to compare with people in the world.

And pets don't do horrific deeds? Try using google.

Your insight never ceases to amaze.

Definitely a hard choice, but I think I might take my chances with the cheerleaders over a dog with rabies.

But now the hypothetical question.." a ship is sinking and you and 6 strangers are in a lifeboat with your beloved dog. The lifeboat cannot carry all the weight and its your choice who gets thrown overboard. Your dog who you truly love or one of the strangers. Who do you throw overboard"

I'd probably be inclined to kill the other 6. The dog is one of my own, they're not :p
This sort of statement causes me to reflect on what has gone awry with our species.

A dog will never write a symphony, let alone appreciate one. They will never provide insight into the nature of reality. Its capacity to produce, appreciate, and relate are so comparatively inferior, yet somehow humans will frequently elevate them beyond their own kind. I don't understand this. Dogs have been selectively bred for social compatibility with humans for hundreds of years. Their affection has been cultivated the same way grapes have been selectively evolved by humans for enjoyment. Pinot Nior vs. Sauvengion Blanc. Doberman vs. Chihuahua.

When people start valuing another species more than their own--let alone something as simplistic and inferior as a dog, I begin to suspect projection of a cognitively dissonant self-loathing. Somehow tossing human survivors overboard to their deaths is a sane statement, yet making an equivalent statement like, "I would murder half a dozen innocent sapient beings and feed them to my demonstrably inferior emotional toy should I deem it necessary" would be considered psychopathic. Bizarre.

Took longer than I thought, but no less amusing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My pet is dolphin, who will help everyone to safety. 

#ThinkOutsideTheBox #DolphinLivesMatter

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy