I am curious and not sure where else to post this but what are some of the more interesting backgrounds, content wise? I know that aristocrat gets many dialogue bits but I also noticed they were things I'd never want to use. Just curious if some present your character as having specific personalities (like, if raider, will all my special dialogue options be about killing folks and stealing their loot? Or are there options that show remorse for their past life?)

They're more about knowledge of things you'd learn in that life than a personality thing. It's not going to make you mean or nice, that's what Cruel/Benevolent are for.

Haven't tried raider but Scholar and Philosopher are also among the ones with more checks, but many of them aren't much more than extra lore-ish stuff.

Aristocrat is still my favorite.

Much like dispositions, your background is broadcasted to the entire world so it's not only about what responses you can sometimes use but also how people view you. AFAIK it has RP value only though.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Much like dispositions, your background is broadcasted to the entire world so it's not only about what responses you can sometimes use but also how people view you. AFAIK it has RP value only though.

There are a few times where your background will open up a dialog option that might not otherwise exist.  Not as many as I think most would have preferred, but I think that this was a case of limited development time/resources more than anything else.

I also remember that clergyman got one or two dialogue checks, laborer also. I guess there are dialogue options for every background. I just haven't used them all in a full playthrough (would need a ton of playthroughs for that).

Other than that, they are only good for your skills' starting values. Which can be of some importance if you really want to reach a certain value. For example I build a barb who really wantetd to get 16 survival for the +18 resting ACC bonus. Impossible without the proper background (it was colonist I think). 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods