What You Did Today

Tale

Happy birthday Calax!

I'm still 2 years away from the big 30. But I've been here since I was 16. I went from a little immature brat to a bigger immature brat in this place. Ah, memories.

Holy Moly TN....that means you have been  here for 12 years....well played  :thumbsup:

What was the forum like when you first joined?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Intimidating. As a 16 year old, and with all the regulars we used to have of which some sadly left, this place was much smarter than me. I was just here to talk about Star Wars and to get someone to explain to me what the hell KotOR 2 was supposed to be about. :lol:

• Like 2

Intimidating. As a 16 year old, and with all the regulars we used to have of which some sadly left, this place was much smarter than me. I was just here to talk about Star Wars and to get someone to explain to me what the hell KotOR 2 was supposed to be about. :lol:

Well I can say  with sincerity that you have become an asset to this forum and seem to have lots of interesting views IMO :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hah, yeah same here - I remember trying to hold my own in a discussion with Metadigital - and not doing so well...

or just discussing politics as a young ideological Scandinavian on an American board heh

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm still running through all the fun of job hunting.  And having those points of helping dad sort out mom's stuff to get rid off or tidy up or what have you. I think we're still going to be finding bits and pieces for the next decade.

Having a minor grouch with the Jobcentre people, my fortnightly sign-in next week clashes with an actual job interview, but they won't let me reschedule it properly. I just get told "if you don't turn up you will potentially lose your jobseeker benefits, and we can't reschedule it but you have 5 days to turn up and wait around and maybe you'll get seen if there's a spare moment, so you might be waiting for a few hours or not get seen that day and have to come back. But if you don't get it done in 5 days you'll lose your benefits."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hah, yeah same here - I remember trying to hold my own in a discussion with Metadigital - and not doing so well...

or just discussing politics as a young ideological Scandinavian on an American board heh

Metadigital handed my metaphorical butt to me a coupleof times too. :p

And the guys was the WoT as interesting as it is nowadays?

John Milton 

in other news, i went to a funeral today. i have noticed a pattern in all funerals i've been: the family members don't look that sad (or at least don't show it) while the coffin is still in the house (the custom here is that the dead spend the last night in their house and are buried in the morning) but they start to slowly crack as the coffin is taken to the church with the real breakdown coming as it is lowered in the grave. it's as if something clicks in their mind at that point and they finally realize that their loved one really is gone (like they were in a sort of denial until then).

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

in other news, i went to a funeral today. i have noticed a pattern in all funerals i've been: the family members don't look that sad (or at least don't show it) while the coffin is still in the house (the custom here is that the dead spend the last night in their house and are buried in the morning) but they start to slowly crack as the coffin is taken to the church with the real breakdown coming as it is lowered in the grave. it's as if something clicks in their mind at that point and they finally realize that their loved one really is gone (like they were in a sort of denial until then).

Thats fascinating, tek where do you live?

John Milton 

greece

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

greece

So is that part of the Greek Orthodox religion when the body stays in the house ?

John Milton 

Think that is just a Greek serial killer thing.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Think that is just a Greek serial killer thing.

:lol:

Malc I have been meaning to ask you something, when I first joined these forums over 3 years ago you use to be very cynical all the time...well thats how I remember you. Anyway you have changed a lot for the better IMO....you dont seem cynical anymore and you often  say very funny or  insightful things

Have you changed or did I just misunderstand you previously? Sorry if I'm putting you on the spot but you really seem different and I wanted to mention it 

John Milton 

Bruce you can't see it, but I'm rolling my eyes at you...... affectionately.

Ros I meant to tell you, I have been supporting the Danish economy as I have been buying lots of Danish blue cheese 

I like the Rosenborg and Castello...I'm seriously into my cheese. I have at least 4 different books on how to cook with different cheeses and one small cheese book that you can take into cheese shops to confirm what certain cheeses are ..its small so hopefully people dont notice it 

• Like 1

John Milton 

It was actually pretty contentious back then. Keep in mind this was directly during the aftermath of the Iraq invasion. Ender and Mkreku went round after round nonstop it felt like.

Of course...time tends to distort memories..

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

It was actually pretty contentious back then. Keep in mind this was directly during the aftermath of the Iraq invasion. Ender and Mkreku went round after round nonstop it felt like.

Of course...time tends to distort memories..

Good point ....it must have  been very ideological 

Leferd how long have you been here?

John Milton 

FYI, you can hover your cursor over a user name and see their "member since" date.

Thanks Gfted1 ..I didnt know that but maybe some people have used different names ?

John Milton 

FYI, you can hover your cursor over a user name and see their "member since" date.

that's good, this way i can keep track for how long i've been a member here because i suck at remembering dates and by extend knowing how much time has passed since something.

as for that thing with the dead i don't know for sure if it's a religious thing or just a custom. the thing goes like this

after someone dies you call the funeral service. they prepare the body, dress it in clothes of your or "it's" choosing, put it in the coffin with all the necessary decorations and a picture of a saint with the same name as the departed and then bring it to it's home for the night. usually the family will stay awake all night and in the morning the rest of the friends and relatives will come. the custom is to kiss the dead on the forehead as a last goodbye and when everyone is assembled they take the coffin to the church for the last rites and then to the cemetery where the priest will say some last words, will place some soil in the coffin and then the people of the funeral service will close it and bury it

-Teknoman2-

Getting quite a bit more for that car than I expected. Of course it still wasn't paid off, so I'll have to see how much is left after that. But I'm genuinely surprised by what they offered.

I might be getting that gaming computer I've been trying to save up for for the past 2-3 years.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I grew some jalapenos in the garden. They are finally ripe so I cut up a few in some mac & cheese. Tasty! And very... very hot. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell