The Sims

ramza

I don't know much about that game so this is why I am posting here: I just wanna get your opinion on it until I manage to borrow it from one of my friends...

What's up with this game? I have read reviews and they were saying pretty much good things about it but they merely convinced me... Now I see that they will release a sequel, so it must be something good.

Many (mostly girls) have suggested me to buy it but I always told them that I was more the RPG type of gamer... I can't understand whats so cool to play a game in which you do things you can actually do in real life. It's like pretending you are living a normal life while you can actually live it. What's so special with RPGs is that you get out of the ordinary and are put in a position of power (it's not only that but I try to summarize). I don't see how the Sims will satisfy a true rpgamer's thirst and so I ask you if you have played that game and if you have liked it.

Cheers.

PS: The Sims 2 has really nice graphics though.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I can't understand whats so cool to play a game in which you do things you can actually do in real life? It's like pretending you are living a normal life while you can actually live it.

I have both,The Sims & Sims 2. To answer your question: In the Sims game you can screw up and it doesn't matter,in real life it does. That's the fun of gaming. :(

I found it to be very boring... but then I've also found I'm very atypical.

Can you be more precise, please?

I just want to know what you didn't like.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I found it to be very boring... but then I've also found I'm very atypical.

"Hhhmmgghhh!...."

*Resisting urge to make some clever remarks*

:(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

*pokes Gorth with a stick* :(

---

Ramza

don't read too much into it.

The best analogy I think I can come up with is an antfarm (do these things really exist?) the sims is a game that plays itself.

Granted you can make decisions and direct the "action", but all in all you're more an observer than anything.

I'm not sure how else to define it.

I don't play with Barby Dolls,

In other words,

If it ain't *Flight Sims* it just ain't real sims...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

wrong forum

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

the sims is more of a game to laugh at, i love it. you can make the most dirty, disgusting family you could possibly think of. i mean, food, piss, and garbage along with old newpapers cover your house's floor while noone has a job so theyre all sleeping. then you see 1 of your characters sleeping in his own piss cause ehs too lazy to go to the toilet and hes to lazy to go to his bed.

buy it man, if you like a good laugh, the sims is great

The Sims was only good for burning people alive, or walling them in and making them starve to death. As exciting as that may sound, it gets boring astoundingly fast.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The Sims was only good for burning people alive, or walling them in and making them starve to death. As exciting as that may sound, it gets boring astoundingly fast.

what about em sleeping in a puddle of their own piss?

What's so special about that? That's normal, isnt it?

I don't see how the Sims will satisfy a true rpgamer's thirst...

It won't. It's a SIMulation afterall, not an RPG.

It's still quite entertaining though. I didn't feel like an observer at all, as Darque put it, since it's actually quite hard to climb up the different career ladders and still manage to fulfill all of your Sims' needs. I found this kind of gameplay to be surprisingly addictive and the fact that this game has a very dedicated modding community kept me interested in it for a very long time.

I have both,The Sims & Sims 2

What?

From what I am reading, I think I will not even borrow it from one of my friends... sounds like a barbie game...

I am sorry, but rpgs and rts games interest me a lot more... ;)

I found it terribly addictive at first, but it gets boring quickly. I liked "building up" my Sim, building and decorating the house, but once that was done the game becomes as much a tired routine as real life.

The odd thing is, it's a game in which you scramble to keep your Sim's house clean and tidy, keep the bills paid, get to work on time and so on while you neglect all those things in your own life.

newlogo.gif

I found it terribly addictive at first, but it gets boring quickly. I liked "building up" my Sim, building and decorating the house, but once that was done the game becomes as much a tired routine as real life.

The odd thing is, it's a game in which you scramble to keep your Sim's house clean and tidy, keep the bills paid, get to work on time and so on while you neglect all those things in your own life.

That's the best one I have ever read! :D ;)

its also funny putting a bunch of em in a room with only 1 bathroom or only 1 fridge. or making a house full of flamible objects and surround them with ovens and fireplaces. have the sims light em and see who makes it!

its also funny putting a bunch of em in a room with only 1 bathroom or only 1 fridge. or making a house full of flamible objects and surround them with ovens and fireplaces. have the sims light em and see who makes it!

I saw the same thing on TechTV. :unsure: