The Funny Things Thread

Gorth

For some reason my brain refuses to into the metric system. The other day someone in my office said something was 2cm and I literally had to go look at a ruler that has both metric and enlish units on it to see...oh, thats 3/4 inch.

I have to admit I still use imperial measurement even though we're now supposed to abide by European dictates, inches, feet and yards just seem far more natural than this soulless modern...stuff. Then again i'm not particularly into Association Football.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

To be fair, I mix and match. But then again, I did grow up reading a lot of period fiction so was fairly used to juggling pounds, shillings and pence alongside Victorian and American Civil War era weights and measurements....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Why did you guys give up on your own system?

If it's good enough for the largest empire in history who cares how easily it divides

scientists?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We use the metric system exclusively for work. But the funny thing is anything we have to present to any government agency is converted to standard prior to. Even they think it's a waste of time. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Coffee anyone?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ive never actually had to use the metric system so my biggest problem is in visualizing. If some were to say something is 1Ft then my brain instantly recognizes a certain length, but if they were to say it was 30.48cm I would be all "dur what?". Do your measuring tapes really have a ".48" mark? Kooky.

Do your standard rulers you use at school not have 1-30cm on one edge and 1-12in on the other? Measuring cups with mL on one side and fl oz on the other? Nutritional labels on food with both kJ and calories?

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"Ive never actually had to use the metric system so my biggest problem is in visualizing."

"EDIT: Id never even heard of calories = kj until right this moment. Had to go look it up. Kilojoules? What the hell!"

What's your profession?

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

03f8632d6309b9846d828f074602775a.jpg

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell