I thought I'd make a thread to collect some ideas about how to optimize a build, so when people come looking to make a build they have some basics covered. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I guess one of the key things I've noticed is you really need to evaluate combinations of talents and attribute scores that produce an equivalent effect. For example:

On my current character (a tank Rogue) what I was running was RES 14 and PER 9 to start with (looking to hit PER 10 end game with Song of the Heavens - having played 10 PER previously I knew it would be enough). As my DEX was also low, I took Snake's Reflexes to shore up my Reflex. I had also taken Superior Deflection, however I didn't have any free talents dedicate to Deflecting Assault or possibly Cautious Assault.

However I then realised if I take 5 points from RES and stick them in PER, and take Deflecting Assault over Snake's Reflexes, the key things I cared about (my Reflex score and Deflection) both remain the same however now I have +5 accuracy relative to the previous setup. The cost is a little Concentration - however as I'm boosting RES with items and resting bonuses to the mid teens later in the game I don't really care about that.

The advice here is you really need to evaluate if you can achieve the same effect in a different way and look if there are more benefits to be had taking a different tact. This is especially true when you factor in the attribute benefits of items on a character: do you early on want to take 4 points from INT and stick them into a more valuable attribute to the build, as you're fine using the Dunryd Demon early game and late game you have a free ring slot (as in, there's no other ring you're really bothered about using) so you can then use Gywn's Band of Union. Maybe you could put those 4 points into DEX, now letting you use Boots of Speed as you've hit the DEX you wanted instead of using Viettro's Formal Footware.

So that's the main thing I've learnt from trying to hone my build, does anyone else (particularly skilled build makers) have advice they'd like to share to help out new players wanting to make a build?

Edited by Jojobobo

One addition: If you are concerned about deflection and reflex and your ACC doesn't have to be superhigh, I would always take a larger shield and shove some points from RES to PER to make up for the ACC loss. That way you will have higher deflection and reflex while your ACC stays the same. Just don't forget concentration. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I like the belt of chimes because it gives a huge concentration boost. Also, can be had pretty early if lucky or not above save-reloading. Often, the main reason I want resolve (unless going for max deflection) is concentration, as deflection is pretty easy to come by and it has anti synergy with some of the best items in the game. I recommend the belt for any single digit resolve builds.  By lowering resolve, you can increase other stats that will have a higher impact on your build.  In generally, I find Resolve and Con to have the least impact... they are just needed to avoid really bad things from happening (one-hit kills and constant interrupts).  If you can compensate for those with items, they are ideal stats to lower.

Con in particular seems less useful now that there are better healing options in version 3.  It was bad in version 1, got better in version 2, and is now relatively worse again.  Everyone gets a full heal with Athletics, Healing multipliers are better, healing abilities/talents have been buffed, items added with heal-on-kill, etc.  More CON only gives a small amount of endurance that can be easily made up in other ways.  The main benefit is mitigating high burst damage, like dragons are apt to do.  I am not saying it should be completely dumped, but I would be perfectly happy with it in the 6-8 point range for most builds.  Maybe use a rest bonus if going against an enemy with high burst damage.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

There's also the Celebrant's Gloves, which does the same thing for your entire party when being hit. It used to be bugged though and would also buff the enemies, ruining your interrupts. I don't think I tried them since the last patch, maybe someone can confirm.

I don't know about the enemy part, but it stacks with Belt of Chimes, which is of course awesome. +55 Concentration prevents even the 3-RES-guys from being interrupted too often.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods