"Maybe I can't die - but I will not stop trying. The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain!"

Burl Marrax, about 500 years old, immortal and world-worn Vailian pirate, conquerer and colonist, cursed by a native shaman after mocking his religion... and slaughetering his tribe. Or the other way round.

"Some kith kiss me, some kith hug me

I think they're okay

If they don't give me proper beating

I just walk away.

They can slap and they can smack

But they can't see the light

'Cause the boy with the cold sharp blade

Is always Mister Right.

'Cause I am living in a martyrial world

And I am a martyrial Burl

You know that we are living in a martyrial world

And I am the material Burl."

Burl Marrax in one of his rare happy moments, singing in the bathtub

Immortal_Martyr.png?dl=1

===================================

The Immortal Martyr

===================================

Difficulty: PotD v. 3.02

--------------------------------------------------------------

Solo: ahahaha... no!

Class: Barbarian

Race: Ocean Folk

Background: Old Vailia - Colonist

Stats:

MIG: 19

CON: 03

DEX: 15

PER: 18

INT: 19

RES: 04

Skills: Stealth 1, Athl. 4, Lore 6, Mech. 0, Surv. 14

Talents (a=auto, r=recommended, !=important)

Accurate Carnage ®

Weapon Focus: Ruffian (!)

Savage Attack

Two Weapon Style ®

Vulnerable Attack

Bloody Slaughter

Barbabric Blow ®

Greater Frenzy

The Merciless Hand ®

Dungeon Delver ®

Abilities

Carnage (a)

Fighting Spirit (a)

Blooded (!)

Frenzy ®

Heart of Fury (!)

One Stands Alone (!)

Dragon Leap ®

Barbaric Retaliation

Threatening Presence

Vengeful Defeat (!)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Items (*=additional echantments by me; !=important, r=recommended):

Weapon set 1: Purgatory(!) (*Legendary, *Burning Lash, *Durgan Refined) & Resolution(!)(*Legendary, *Shocking Lash, *Durgan Refined)

Weapon Set 2: 2 * Club (*Exceptional, *Corrosive Lash, *Kith-Slaying)

Boots: Boots of Stability or Boots of Speed

Head: Rugged Wilderness Hat

Armor: Robes of the Tidebringer (!)(*Durgan Reinforced, *PER +2)

Neck: St. Borragia's Tears or Glanfathan Adraswen

Belt: Belt of Chimes ®

Rings:Gwyn's Band of Union ®, Ring of Wonder ®

Hands: Celebrant's Gloves ® or Rabbit Fur Gloves

Quick slots: Scrolls & Potions

---------------------------------------------------------------

First of all: turn off Knockout Injuries! Seriously, this build is no fun with that.

The thing is, this build is build around Vengeful Defeat, an ablitly that will give you a very powerful Full Attack - but only if your endurance drops to zero.

Since most people try to avoid that, this ability seems to be a bit circumstantial. But what if you want to go down all the time - what if you want to play a character who's sick of life but can't die - wouldn't Vengeful Defeat be a great ability for this character? Or the other way round: isn't this a good excuse to abuse the heck out of Vengeful Defeat? ;)

Secondly: we need one or more party members who can revive in order to get the most out of this build. Sure, you can have items with second chance (and we will use those), but if you want to be revived more than once per encounter (and I recommend that), you need a paladin, priest or chanter. Or somebody who knows how to read revive scrolls.

Because we want our hero to go down, we can dump CON and RES and don't even need to have a sore conscience about it - because it's proper roleplaying, that's what this is! ;)

All those points go into maxed MIG, PER and INT and the rest into DEX. You see - Burl had a lot of time to train and develop great stats - he had a lot of time to read and do crossword puzzles (hence his high INT), to slaughter some native tribes (high MIG), watch some hummingbirds make love (PER) and do some vaillian dancing (DEX). But he's so sick of life and he couldn't care less - so his RES is really bad and his CON also - because he drinks and eats all those unhealthy things that would give others diabetis, a heart attack and liver cirrhosis. But as I mentioned: he couoldn't care less.

Now we have the perfect glass cannon. Time to explain how this works: the plan is to toss this guy into the middle of a mob and start swinging. Because of his abysmal deflection and low DR, most foes will immediately turn towards him. While he does good damage via carnage, he will get hit a lot. Because his Concentration is really bad he will get interrupted all the time, which is bad. I mean he couldn't care less as w know - but WE do care, so we put on the Belt of Chimes which gives us +25 concentration. We also put on the Celebrant's Gloves because those will not only increase the carnage area by 10% but also cast Holy Moly Meditation if we get hit a lot - which is another +30 concentration on top. Suddenly it's very hard to interrupt us - but our deflection is still awful - which is awesome!

Because we want to use Vengeful defeat a lot, we can also take all those (normally) lackluster abilites and items that do something when our endurance drops under 50% or even when we co unconcious. That's also why I chose the human race: the bonus ACC will come in handy and I'll explain later why. So, pick up Blooded and so on. We want to accumulate a lot of such effects. The Martyr enchantment is very powerful: for 30 seconds you haste your friends - while dying and doing lots of damage. This is not "Behold the Martyr" - that paladin ability is a different thing. It ends when you revive the Martyr. The enchantment however triggers an AoE haste spell that lasts for 30 sec - it doesn't matter what hppens with the Martyr after it was cast. But "Behold the Martyr" can be of use with this build, too. 

Another nice effect is second chance + Holy Radiance (see the neck slot). Holy Radiance gets triggered after Second Chance - so you get healed a bit AFTER your second chance comback. And your fellows get healed too! Nice! The ring ist also great on this char. Not only does it boost our carnage AoE because of +4 INT, but also dazes enemies around you once your endurance drops below 80%. And who doesn't know that daze is a superpowerful debuff? ;)

I chose those two famous sabres because they combine high base damage with Annihilation. High base damage is good for carnage - and Annihilation is aweseome for Vengeful Defeat (and also Heart of Fury and Barbaric Blow). Those abilities not only do full attacks (hello dual sabres), but also give you more crits AND higher crit damage. If you are the main character and trigger HoF or Vengeful Defeat while standing in a mob of badly wounded enemies - with those fully enchanted sabres - you can get the following max crit damage multiplier: +0.5(crit)+0.5(Annihilation)+0.3(durgan steel)+0.3(Merciless Hand)+0.5(HoF or Vengeful Defeat bonus)+0.5(Bloody Slaughter)+0.1(Dungeon Delver)+0.1(Rabbit Fur Gloves) = 2.8 crit damage multiplier. Sadly, it doesn't really work as a multiplier - it seems it just works like any other damage bonus. So I assume it's more like +280% base damage. But hey - also not too bad. I enchanted those to legendary but it also works with exceptional or superb of course. Legendary just happened to fit exactly into the 14 enchantment points pool. 

Axes also work fine with this. Especially We Toki. And Hours of St. Rumbalt is also nice. the damage is lower because - you know - full attack and so on - but the prone effect makes up for that. Another very powerful option would be Firebrand - but it didn't fit the theme so I didn't try that. But I can imagine a fire godlike with that flaming sword and Vengeful Defeat.

Those crits are the reason why I want to have a lot of ACC. This is done easily with camping bonuses. WIth the rugged wilderness hat you have 16 survival - which will give you +18 ACC against a chose creature type. ON top of that we have the hit-to-crit conversion of Vengeful Defeat (or HoF) that is 20%. +20% from durgan steel results in 40%. So a lot of crits will occur if you use those. Add some Fighting Spirit (human racial ability) and you're good!

The best thing about VD (Vengeful Defeat) and HoF is that you do a full attack at all enemies in range. The range is your carnage area plus a little bonus. All those hits from the full attack trigger carnage. So the more enemies you can reach, the more damage every one of them will get. Damage's growing exponentially if you manage to hit 5 or six foes at once. If you have a priest in the gang you need to use Crowns of the Faithful. It can do so much for this Martyr Barb.

Now you may inkle why I wanted to build a character around VD. If you go KO and are surrounded by enemies, your VD will be nearly as powerful as HoF.

You will be like living bait: all the mobs will be drawn to you because you are such a squishy. Don't hesitate to cast a lot of AoE damage spells onto your Martyr. You will hit him of course, but also all those mobs around him. Be like King Edward Longshanks! And don't be silly because of frendly fire - this barb loves that!

Just keep a reviver nearby for the time the second chance is used up. I can't emphasize this enough I guess: using this build as a decoy will make your life so much easier in hard fights like bounties and stuff. He can buy you some time while you buff/debuff. He's like a living CC effect that doesn't have to rely on ACC or doesn't have to overcome defenses. He's just there and draws enemies towards him. And while being punished for that he really can do some harm.

One of he best spells with this is Pull of Eora: the foes will be drawn towards the barbarian and will be whirled around and form a really dense pack: great for your HoF and VD. And while they all try to smash the Martyr, they don't bother the rest of your party who can just fire away.

Oh, and I nearly forgot: VD always triggers: if you are prone, stunned, petrified - doesn't matter. Once you go down, you will trigger WD. So your barb can do lots of damage even while disabled. "Thanks for knocking me unconcious dudes!" ;)

Another great spell for this is Baring Death's Door. It used to be a pretty useless spell for me - but with this char it's golden. If his health gets really low (will happen after some fights) that's not a reason to stop dying (aka resting)! Cast Barring Death's Door and see the magic! He jumps into the crowd with his 1 HP and *boom* Vengeful Defeat. You revive and *boom* Vengeful Defeat... and so on. Just don't revive when Barring Death'S Door wears off: then he becomes the mortal martyr. His dps drops a lot then if you ask me...

I (once again) did the (upscaled) Nalrend quest with this guy for a last test. So that nobody can say this guy is just a funny toon but not playable (I did a whole playthrough with him by the way): two paladins and an invocation-based chanter only stood nearby and revived when he dropped. The bounty was over pretty fast (and Nalrend dead). I still had 1/3rd of health - despite the fact that I had a quadrizillion stings from Plague of Insects.

Oh, speaking of bugs: Why don't ants go to curch?

Because they are in...sects.

Have a nice pray! ;)

p.s.: I guess a Fire Godlike barb with a retaliation item would cause even more harm while going down - but I'm a bit fed up with godlikes these days, so...

Edit:

Here are some impressions if you want to build this as a suicidal genie and as the eternal candle:

genie.png?dl=1genie_fire.png?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 11

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Nice build as per usual, it's great how you represented the character's death-wish through the games mechanics.

One thing you could do is change the helmet to Retaliation Garodh's Chorus. You only need to be wearing the Rugged Wilderness hat as you rest to get the Survival benefit, after that you can take it off (retaining the bonus of the higher level of survival) and put one a different helmet on. I checked in Technical Support whether this was a bug or not, and the devs said that's how it's intended to work.

Though admittedly, it would kinda ruin the jaunty pirate look you've got going on.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

Though admittedly, it would kinda ruin the jaunty pirate look you've got going on.

That's the main reason I keep it on all the time. ;)

Too bad there are no earrings in the game...

When I was very tired I also had the idea that the Crossed Eyepatch AND the Rugged Wilderness Hat would look good together... and I tried that... for a while.

I have been planning a Boeroer Build party PotD party run. This guy will be my 1st round Draft pick.

How weak is he in the early game?

I am eagerly waiting for that "Rogue that plays as a mage build" Boeroer mentioned somewhere in the forum sounds like fun 

• Like 1

I have been planning a Boeroer Build party PotD party run. This guy will be my 1st round Draft pick.

Thanks, it's an honor. :) 

Pretty weak. I mean even normal barbs are weak in the early game. But you can start him as a normal barb and then - at lvl 9 - retrain for this. Or you give him a pike and hit from the second row until lvl 9. That works well.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

I am eagerly waiting for that "Rogue that plays as a mage build" Boeroer mentioned somewhere in the forum sounds like fun 

I'm on it. Next one is a "Mopher" - I leave it to you to guess what that is. :) And then comes the Rogue/Wizard (don't have a special name for that yet). 

I am currently trying a playthrough on potd as a Rogue who'll be playing as a mage by hoarding spellbind gear and scrolls. It was pointed out to me on reddit by Maxquest that deathblows work on scrolls. Hence why I got the idea. Can't say much about it yet tho as I'm only lvl 5 so far :p

Yeah, that's the basic idea. You can also add Aspirant's Mark which is pretty good on a rogue because of all the ACC and and Prestidigitator's Missiles because it works with Deathblows and Penetrating Shot. And Deep Wounds works with any spell that does pierce, crush or slash damage. 

"Some kith kiss me, some kith hug me..."

The song is Madonna's "Marterial Girl" - of course without "kith" but with "boys". And instead of marterial it's martyrial. And Burl instead of Girl. Or the other way round? ;)

I'm really surprised nobody noticed. Well maybe I'm just too old... ;(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNSUOFgj97M

It's a really bad earworm, I can tell you.

The second part of the initial quote is from Karl Marx actually. Not that I expected anyone to recognize that. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Haha, this is a funny build and he looks kind of like a genie to me.  I like it.  He also dumps my least favorite stats, CON and RES (I guess I just like seeing big damage numbers).  Dumping those two is also an easy way to increase the challenge of any build, even if you don't have a good reason (like this build has) for it.  I have those dumped for my melee ranger just because it forces me to be more careful with positioning.

If you use "Behold the Marytr" and then revive that character, does the spell still take effect?

• Like 1

Behold the martyr ends after you revive fallen ally

Yes - the paladin's ability ends when you revive. However - the enchantment "Martyr" that is on the tidebringer armor and that amulet from a legendary stronghold quest (forgot the name) is a different thing. It is an AoE speed buff that lasts for 30 sec. Doesn't matter if you revive or not.

You can of course cast Behold the Martyr when you can't revive any more (no uses left, priest/chanter also ko or whatever). 

Haha, this is a funny build and he looks kind of like a genie to me.

You are right! Never thought about that - but now that you mention it I can clearly see it. I should make another screenshot as a blueish bald pale elf with a black mustache. ;)

I will try to work out an alternative background story that fits the genie theme and add another picture. Hopefully I can edit my initial posting then.

Edited by Boeroer

I caught the Madonna song reference first thing, thought it was pretty clever.  Always thought she looked her best in that video before she got all skinny and weird/political in her later years. I must be too old as well :)

I'd think a Fire Godlike would do well with the frequently low endurance and the AoE fire damage to add to the fun. You'd be like a birthday cake candle that stays lit.

• Like 1

It's been said that fighting with a pair of swords is one of the quickest ways to get both you and your opponent killed simultaneously. I guess that's pretty much how this build works, eh?

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.