Sorcery!

Playing this now. It's a semi-text based RPG based on Steve Jackson books (which I loved as a kid)

It's a decent game and the price on steam is reasonable. But what I REALLY love, is the spellbook. It has been so long since I've seen an RPG where you get a cool spellbook/grimoire that you can actually page through. It's like the old Ultima games. Enjoying my mage roleplaying now.

post-65653-0-36458900-1460167143_thumb.jpg

Anyone got this? Thoughts?

• Like 3

Playing this now. It's a semi-text based RPG based on Steve Jackson books (which I loved as a kid)

It's a decent game and the price on steam is reasonable. But what I REALLY love, is the spellbook. It has been so long since I've seen an RPG where you get a cool spellbook/grimoire that you can actually page through. It's like the old Ultima games. Enjoying my mage roleplaying now.

attachicon.gifiOS-Sorcery21_02.jpg

Anyone got this? Thoughts?

OMG.....I loved this series of books, I must have played them a dozen times. I still remember almost everything about them like the Seven Serpents 

I'm going to check this out now 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

There are three parts available on STEAM now, with the fourth and final one being in development. The first one feels fairly linear (though you do go get plenty of options in dialogues and such), the second part opens up just a little bit more. And apparently the third (which I haven't played yet) is apparently pretty much an open world interactive fiction game somehow.

I liked the first two installments, looking forward to playing the third and then the final one as well.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

There are three parts available on STEAM now, with the fourth and final one being in development. The first one feels fairly linear (though you do go get plenty of options in dialogues and such), the second part opens up just a little bit more. And apparently the third (which I haven't played yet) is apparently pretty much an open world interactive fiction game somehow.

I liked the first two installments, looking forward to playing the third and then the final one as well.

Is it like the books...so do you have to fight the Manticore and find the riddles in Khare?

Are there Red Eyes in the city...

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Is it like the books...so do you have to fight the Manticore and find the riddles in Khare?

I'm not familiar with the books, nor do I remember the names from the game. Is Khare the big city? If so, yes, there is a riddle thing in there (think I completed the game without solving it though). I believe I also did fight a Manticore somewhere along the way.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yup and yup :)

Do you regenerate Stamina per encounter?

No, you have to eat, sleep or heal.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

I'm really excited about this game  :dancing:

In 1986 or so Steve Jackson came to South Africa for  a book launch tour....it was badly advertised and  my mom and I were the only people who met him at a university ....so we  had a one on one meeting with him. He was a very nice guy and told me that Sorcery was suppose to be 6 books 

Its weird, I must have last played that series about 20 years ago but I remember so much about the entire adventure...I think I even remember the 4 lines of poem you need to leave Khare and the code was 241 ? 

At the final book in the Mampang Fortress you had to find all 7 serpents in the previous book or I'm sure you couldnt finish the game ?

• Like 1

John Milton 

Bruce is some near 40y stalker of strippers ;)

i didnt get that memo....if you 40 you cant go to strip clubs  ;)

John Milton 

In 1986 or so Steve Jackson came to South Africa for  a book launch tour....it was badly advertised and  my mom and I were the only people who met him at a university ....so we  had a one on one meeting with him. He was a very nice guy and told me that Sorcery was suppose to be 6 books 

Its weird, I must have last played that series about 20 years ago but I remember so much about the entire adventure...I think I even remember the 4 lines of poem you need to leave Khare and the code was 241 ? 

At the final book in the Mampang Fortress you had to find all 7 serpents in the previous book or I'm sure you couldnt finish the game ?

Really? You met him in person? In SA? That's pretty cool.

And you have a really good memory (I just played through those parts of the game today)

Man, as I kid, I remember thinking that those books were as hardcore as you got (thematically and art-wise) I mean, that was before the internet and all that.

• Like 1

Really? You met him in person? In SA? That's pretty cool.

And you have a really good memory (I just played through those parts of the game today)

Man, as I kid, I remember thinking that those books were as hardcore as you got (thematically and art-wise) I mean, that was before the internet and all that.

Yeah, the story with Steve Jackson has more interesting parts and I 'll go into detail later 

Its weird how I remember those books....but I also collected the single series books and Lone Wolf

I use to live in Pinetown and he came to Edgewood teachers training college...I said this before but I wish you lived in JHB now, I know we dont know each other but you are first SA I have ever really engaged with  on these forums but it feels like I know you :)

• Like 1

John Milton 

Yeah, the story with Steve Jackson has more interesting parts and I 'll go into detail later 

Its weird how I remember those books....but I also collected the single series books and Lone Wolf

I use to live in Pinetown and he came to Edgewood teachers training college...I said this before but I wish you lived in JHB now, I know we dont know each other but you are first SA I have ever really engaged with  on these forums but it feels like I know you :)

Thanks mate, that's very good of you to say (though have there ever been any other SAers on these forums? ;)

I also wish I had more close friends to discuss RPGs, fantasy books and other topics with.

But I think if I ever moved back to SA, I would experience reverse culture shock ;)

Edited by Heijoushin

Thanks mate, that's very good of you to say (though have there ever been any other SAers on these forums? ;)

I also wish I had more close friends to discuss RPGs, fantasy books and other topics with.

But I think if I ever moved back to SA, I would experience reverse culture shock ;)

You the first that has stayed on the forum and I chatted with this long

Yes you would have to understand what is different in SA...but its not too serious...well it might take some adjustment. I love it here and feel part of the transformation  but I wont lie I have a good job and my family has money. It makes things easier. But there is lots of poverty 

John Milton 

You the first that has stayed on the forum and I chatted with this long

Yes you would have to understand what is different in SA...but its not too serious...well it might take some adjustment. I love it here and feel part of the transformation  but I wont lie I have a good job and my family has money. It makes things easier. But there is lots of poverty 

Let's continue with conversation via PM. It's not very Sorcery related ;)