Looks promising. George should have expanded out on the Star Wars movies besides sticking with the usual crew.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Which one is Kyle Katarn?

Or does he no longer exist?

Not Canon. Shame. He had a nice beard.

i think he may make an appearance... doesn't the name (and looks) of the mc of Rogue One ring a bell?

according to the game Dark Forces, Kyle (imperial officer at the time) is the one who handed the Death Star plans to the rebel agent who then passed them to Leia.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Oh ok. Differs from Dark Forces, then

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

does it? the mc of rogue one is called Jan Ors and....

Prior to the events of Dark Forces, Katarn was a student studying to follow in his father's career of agricultural mechanics. However, while at an academy, he was told by officials that the Rebel Alliance had killed his parents. His anger led him to enlist in the Imperial army, where he soon met Jan Ors, an undercover double agent working for the Alliance. Ors uncovered the real information about Katarn's parents; they had actually been killed by the Empire. Shortly thereafter, Ors' cover was blown, and she was taken prisoner. Katarn helped her escape, thus ending his career with the Empire. He then became a mercenary, and due to his hatred for the Empire, regularly took on jobs for the Alliance.

In the first level of Dark Forces, which is set prior to A New Hope, Katarn recovers the plans to the Death Star

i think the movie will be about how Jan became a spy, how she met Katarn and how the 2 of them got out with the plans of the Death Star

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm sure the writers have all of this stuff available to them, and if it makes sense with the script they may even work it in.  However I wouldn't expect anything.  Sure, they might make a nice Easter egg for a few thousand fans, but a huge percentage of their audience is not going to get any of this.

i just had a revelation!!!

the mc of Rogue One is Jan Ors; if that results in Kyle Katarn becoming canon again... could it be possible that it's Rei Katarn?

• Like 2

-Teknoman2-

Ok. In your post you had Katarn as a defector not a merc. Or so it seemed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ok. In your post you had Katarn as a defector not a merc. Or so it seemed.

Katarn was in the imperial army until Jan found out and told him that the empire killed his parents, then he abandoned the empire but didn't want to commit to the rebellion so he became a mercenary who often took jobs for the rebels.

-Teknoman2-

Disney is going to milk this cow beyond undeath

A large part of me hopes they push it so far that the franchise finally busts

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Overall, that's not possible. At least for a few decades.

It already has busted for a lot of people, myself included (for me, the series ended with dancing Ewoks, and Luke looking over to a smiling Obi-Wan, Yoda, and an old Anakin on Endor). But there's no shortage of fanbois and gals out there who will slobber up anything and everything Star Wars. It's a franchise that arguably has the largest fan base in the world. Busting the franchise for all those people would be hard to do even if you tried.

The profit margin may go down (I'd wager a lot it will) from J.J. Abrams movie, but it will still be there for a very long time to come.

Huh?

92% aggregate critic and 89% audience ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_vii_the_force_awakens/

And it made over $2 billion at the box office. I don't know what reality you guys live in, but by most sane standards, JJ. Abrams helmed a resounding success.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

84% 81% 650 million 

Hunger Games

Your point?

It already has busted for a lot of people, myself included (for me, the series ended with dancing Ewoks, and Luke looking over to a smiling Obi-Wan, Yoda, and an old Anakin on Endor). But there's no shortage of fanbois and gals out there who will slobber up anything and everything Star Wars. It's a franchise that arguably has the largest fan base in the world. Busting the franchise for all those people would be hard to do even if you tried.

The profit margin may go down (I'd wager a lot it will) from J.J. Abrams movie, but it will still be there for a very long time to come.

I don't know what it is that makes people so enamored with Star Wars thirty years after its release. Granted they were fun films, but for a grown man to be a "fan", wear a shirt with a stormtrooper on it etc. in 2016 is downright embarrassing. Its like someone saying their favorite films are Snow White and their favorite film character is Grumpy. Sure, everyone can admire a nice fairy tale... but they're made for children, not adults. Hell, even George Lucas said so, many times, and you can see on his face that even he doesn't understand the idiotic fan obsession with the films (or regard them as highly as they do) - but the show just keeps on lurching on 20+ years past its prime.

Huge multi-media franchise that hundreds of millions of people enjoyed and made boatloads of money for those involved. What's your point?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Bunch of sour grapes in here. Feel free to realize you will not like this movie if you didn't like ep. 7 and find more productive things to do with your time. I will be busy enjoying the heck out of the new films. :)

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 3

I don't know what it is that makes people so enamored with Star Wars thirty years after its release. Granted they were fun films, but for a grown man to be a "fan", wear a shirt with a stormtrooper on it etc. in 2016 is downright embarrassing. Its like someone saying their favorite films are Snow White and their favorite film character is Grumpy. Sure, everyone can admire a nice fairy tale... but they're made for children, not adults. Hell, even George Lucas said so, many times, and you can see on his face that even he doesn't understand the idiotic fan obsession with the films (or regard them as highly as they do) - but the show just keeps on lurching on 20+ years past its prime.

am not sure o' the point being made.

beowulf & gilgamesh is stories 'bout heroes killing monsters and btw, snow white and the seven dwarves is top ten all-time for box office receipts. 

(insert the same old Gromnir rant 'bout art o' the narrative... include ye' olde' standbys wherein we draw parallels 'tween tdkr and beowulf, lament how underappreciated is great young fiction such as , the phantom tollbooth, a swiftly tilting planet, and multiple gaiman and pullman works. observe that youth fiction often gets at core storytelling w/o pretension, and observe that popularity o' myth has been a true constant likely going back before written history.)

am gonna posit that the actual peculiarity is that writers and directors is in a constant cycle o' denial regarding the origins o' storytelling.  yeah, Gromnir's favorite movies is not star wars, but lament or disparage the storytelling that went into lucas' mythology is a mistake.  the most popular stories, the stories that touch the most folks, will always be star wars, and beowulf and... whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

beowulf & gilgamesh is stories 'bout heroes killing monsters and btw, snow white and the seven dwarves is top ten all-time for box office receipts. 

(insert the same old Gromnir rant 'bout art o' the narrative... include ye' olde' standbys wherein we draw parallels 'tween tdkr and beowulf, lament how underappreciated is great young fiction such as , the phantom tollbooth, a swiftly tilting planet, and multiple gaiman and pullman works. observe that youth fiction often gets at core storytelling w/o pretension, and observe that popularity o' myth has been a true constant likely going back before written history.)

am gonna posit that the actual peculiarity is that writers and directors is in a constant cycle o' denial regarding the origins o' storytelling.  yeah, Gromnir's favorite movies is not star wars, but lament or disparage the storytelling that went into lucas' mythology is a mistake.  the most popular stories, the stories that touch the most folks, will always be star wars, and beowulf and... whatever.

HA! Good Fun!

I never said Lucas's storytelling was poor, merely that the story was made for children and that the franchise is 30 years past its prime. The marketing machine has resurrected it for these films and now its literally everywhere. The other day I logged onto ebay only to have a who STAR WARS SHOPPING EXPERIENCE with a stormtrooper in a bathtub plastered all over the front page. Its suffocating.

At least if the new film brought something genuinely new instead of being a lazy and mediocre mish-mash of previous films it would have a justification for all this popularity. But its just another of those incessantly pushed pieces of garbage film-making like Hunger Games, Divergent, Avengers xzy, Transformers that scoot through on a carefully calculated mix of absolute mediocrity designed by committee to appeal to everyone and supported by incessant media bombardment to convince you that what you're eating is not in fact, a burger made of ****.

Bunch of sour grapes in here. Feel free to realize you will not like this movie if you didn't like ep. 7 and find more productive things to do with your time. I will be busy enjoying the heck out of the new films. :)

Good for you?

• Like 1

Good for you?

Thanks?

84% 81% 650 million 

Hunger Games

Your point?

I can't say what Leferd's point, but most likely we will see next decade full of movies that try to mimic Hunger Games, New Star Wars also current comic book movie trend most likely will continue. So if you aren't fan of those type of movies then you probably will not enjoy most of the big movies coming in next decade (although there is always hope for trend changer, but Hollywood isn't known to taking big risks).

84% 81% 650 million 

Hunger Games

Your point?

I can't say what Leferd's point, but most likely we will see next decade full of movies that try to mimic Hunger Games, New Star Wars also current comic book movie trend most likely will continue. So if you aren't fan of those type of movies then you probably will not enjoy most of the big movies coming in next decade (although there is always hope for trend changer, but Hollywood isn't known to taking big risks).

Hollywood hasn't made a great movie in over ten years as far as I'm concerned. The last time I walked out of a theater saying 'Wow, that was an amazing movie' was after watching 'V for Vendetta' in 2005, which itself was a surprise to a degree as at that point it'd been some years since I saw a great film come out of Hollywood. There's been a few good movies (ie: Idiocracy (which Hollywood panned) and No Country for Old Men), and many decent ones, but nothing truly great. I am not alone in this observation, many movie stars themselves have even commented similar. Kevin Spacey and Billy Bob Thorton come to mind.

I generally agree with Drowsey's sentiment above, except I part with him on the idea that 'Star Wars' is purely for kids. While it may be primarily aimed at kids (especially after ESB, and I'd argue that after ESB Lucas lost his way to a degree in part because he started aiming his movies primarily at kids), there's some good storytelling for adults as well (at least in the Lucas helmed films, the Abrams venture is pure dung imo). Perhaps that's by accident, and a result of the movies taking inspiration from some of the greats in storytelling, but it's still the case. ie: In preparation for Episode 7, I watched the original trilogy for the first time since they were in the theaters in the late 90s (and the first time unadulterated since '91-'92 via the Harmy editions (very highly recommended)), and very much enjoyed the movies on their own as an adult, no nostalgia involved. In fact I had forgotten to a degree just how good those movies are, in particular the first two, and realized just how much RoTJ (still a good movie) falls short compared to the first two (something I didn't realize all that much as a kid watching it for the first time in the theater).

I think most of the best stories out there can be enjoyed by all ages to some degree. This is especially true of classics like from the Brothers Grimm, Orwell, Baum, and even Tolkien and Lewis (many other authors could also be named). All wrote tales a child could enjoy, some specifically aimed primarily at children, but with some very adult themes interlaced. In the case of the latter three this is lost on many, in particular in light of the movies, but very adult themes are indeed contained in those books. Lewis, somewhat famously amongst those well versed in literature, has even written about this.

Edited by Valsuelm

HA! Good Fun!

I never said Lucas's storytelling was poor, merely that the story was made for children and that the franchise is 30 years past its prime. 

*chuckle*

you did indeed lament the childish story that lucas told and that folks continue to cling to it thirty years removed from the Original movie.  

beowulf and gilgamesh is far older than star wars.  tolkien's lotr, and hobbit (the hobbit were specific written for children) have maintained their popularity even longer than star wars.  the lion, the witch and the wardrobe has had a long run as well.  stories o' hercules and thor has endured as favorites o' children and adults for more than a thousand years.  etc. dismiss as childish is exact the misapprehension we identified.

if de complains 'bout how close the New star wars followed the script o' the original will get little resistance from Gromnir, but you identify part o' the reason fans were little concerned with that detail: the original is 30 years removed.  oldie fans can feel nostalgic while complaining o' lack o' originality, yes?  even so, is a far different complaint than childishness.  

you are preaching to the choir if you got specific complaints 'bout force awakens and the frequen inartful rehash o' the original movie.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83631-movies-youve-seen-recently-thread/?p=1766774

but again, complain o' force awakens shortcomings complete ignores why and how star wars has endured and will continue to endure. well crafted myth appeals to all regardless o' age, and it endures.  people need myth.  people need heroes and monsters.  dismiss myth as childish is foolishness.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Huh, Gary Whitta used to be involved with this. Dude's come some way from PCGamer.

I always thought of Hunger Games as a poor mans watered down version of the old japanese movie "Battle Royale". I guess making it tame and substituting the actors with "westerners" was what made it a commercial success?

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I always thought of Hunger Games as a poor mans watered down version of the old japanese movie "Battle Royale". I guess making it tame and substituting the actors with "westerners" was what made it a commercial success?

Based on only watching the first movie, the "Hunger Game" in Hunger Games was the most underwhelming with the tacky drama and toned down violence, while the most interesting was the superfluous dress-up and presentation of the contestants.

Battle Royale on the other hand seemed to explore certain themes more seriously, like the mental anguish of having to kill your own friend in order to survive, how certain packs are emerging under extreme stress and a commentary on the morals in society in the background.

It's like comparing teenage with adult in terms of literature really.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy