US Election 2016

*does some digging* so recently (2011) a woman was given 60 years in prison in Arkansas for horse theft (five horses).

But along those lines the UCMJ says that you can have sex with a woman A)Only in the missionary position, B) if she's over the age of 12, and C)your wife.

The last official state sanctioned hanging for horse theft in the USA was in 1824 in South Carolina.  

The woman in the Arkansas case was convicted on 8 separate counts of property theft. 2 for property over 25,000$ (2 of the horses); 4 for property between 5k and 25K (3 of the horses and the horse trailer) and 2 for property between 1k and 5k (1 for equipment and 1 for tack).   One of the horses was killed and dismembered as the gang decided it was too recognizable to be sold.  She ended up with 2/3 of the maximum sentence on the 8 theft charges and is eligible for parole after serving 10 years.  She had also been charged for crimes in two other venues.  I was unable to locate details on whether she was charged with animal cruelty or not.  

Your info on the UCMJ is wrong (where do you find this crap?).   The UCMJ does NOT dictate the missionary position* and it does not restrict intercourse to married couples only.   Adultery can be a court martial offense if three specific conditions are met (2 of which are no-brainers; the 3rd not so much).   The 12 year old age limit (and 16 yo) are actually used to define the thresholds for various rape offenses.  

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/a/art120new.htm    

PS:  The UCMJ was revised in October 2007 so make sure you get the latest version. 

*Article 125 does prohibit sodomy in any form which prohibits oral or anal sex.  That is often misinterpreted as a stipulation on the missionary position.  However even the sodomy ban was overturned in  Coltner v. Henry, 394 F.2d 873 (7th Cir. court 1968).    

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 2

HB2 is a haplogroup?

It's that anti-LBGT bathroom law that got passed in North Carolina.

It's not 'anti-LBGT', it's 'anti-T' if anything. Ls, Bs, and Gs have nothing to do with it.

Also, it's 'LGBT', not 'LBGT'. ;)

It works actually also against LGB part and lots of other people also

http://nclawyersweekly.com/2016/03/30/hb2-eliminates-cause-of-action-for-workplace-discrimination/

See... I actually bothered to read the the Acts, rather than the inciteful BS that is most articles out there discussing the issue. It's not a long read: http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bills/House/PDF/H2v4.pdf

It doesn't change anything for Ls, Gs, Bs, Ss (straight folks), or As (asexuals) in regards to any such folk being affected based on the fact that they are Ls, Gs, Bs, Ss, or As. Might they be affected because of something else? Sure, but very probably not.

Overall it's a very innocuous piece of legislation without any real teeth. The only reason it's making the news is that it makes a point over biological sex.

The issue at the national level is a red herring.

Thanks for the link to the actual text Vals.  I knew most of the details but it's nice to see them in print. 

HB2 does remove an existing right of any NC citizen to file a discrimination case in State court.  See the last sentence in § 143-422.3.    NC joins Mississippi as the only two states in the US where discrimination cases can not be filed in State Court.   Such cases can still be filed in Federal courts, but there are substantive differences between the two types of suits, including but not limited to the statute of limitations.

Here is a good breakdown of what the bill actually does and what it changes.  

http://wunc.org/post/sifting-through-facts-house-bill-2#stream/0

It also covers a good explanation of Dillon's Rule and how that plays in with Charlotte's ordinance and the state. 

http://www.nlc.org/build-skills-and-networks/resources/cities-101/city-powers/local-government-authority

The Charlotte ordinance that was rendered moot by HB2 had been under consideration since November 2014.  17 of the 20 largest American cities—Charlotte, Houston, and Jacksonville, Florida, are the only exceptions—have adopted similar protections for gay and transgender people. 

The Charlotte assembly passed their anti-discrimination ordinance on March 1,  2016 after over a year of deliberation.  On March 21st, N.C. House Speaker Tim Moore and Lt. Gov. Dan Forest, the Senate president call for a special assembly meeting to be convened on the 23rd.  At the end of the first day of the session HB2 has been approved and McCrory signs it into law within hours of passage.  

On April 12th, McCrory issues an executive order that adds sexual orientation and gender identity to the list of protected classes among state employees but leaves the bulk of HB2 intact.    http://governor.nc.gov/document/executive-order-no-93-protect-privacy-and-equality

On April 19th, the 4th Circuit court of Appeals rules in favor of Gavin Grimm in G.G. versus Gloucester County School Board.    As NC falls within the 4th Circuit,  the ruling would seem to indicate that NC HB2 will be overturned.  

Here's a NY Times article regarding the ruling and a PDF of the appellate courts ruling

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/us/appeals-court-favors-transgender-student-in-virginia-restroom-case.html?_r=0

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/152056.P.pdf

That's pretty much where things stand now.  

Edited by kgambit

http://archive.is/Uh4sr

Bernie is a traditional class-based leftist for whom feminism is a distraction.

Idpol in action.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Idpol in action.

Exactly, why can't the aloof old guy understand that some people have to be more equal than others? #progressive #virtuesignaling

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Idpol in action.

Exactly, why can't the aloof old guy understand that some people have to be more equal than others? #progressive #virtuesignaling

I've seen several of these types of articles and have come to believe that it's because they're scared, not necessarily of Hillary losing the nomination or even the presidency, but rather a rising tendency of younger voters to view issues through a class lense. The thing is they're too late, Bernie has already shifted the overton window and no amount of damage control is going to change that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yes, I thought the first part of the statement you quoted was perfectly fine - Bernie has been much more of a "class leftist" than an "identity/label/group leftist" (or whatever you want to call it), even though he actually is really both. That second part, though, is obviously patently false, then.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I heard there was some fraud accusation related to HC charity org. some WallStreet whistleblower went loud.

That is like saying "I heard on the news it will rain in Seattle today" :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I heard there was some fraud accusation related to HC charity org. some WallStreet whistleblower went loud.

Which one? The Clinton Foundation payola accusations or the 'State Democrats' war chest where the vast majority of the money is going to Clinton's campaign?

How come these comic strips you post are always written so weirdly? Can't tell if it's supposed to be humorous or what...and the ones you've posted always feel like they lack any sort of punch...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The concept that the election is coming across as a reality tv show rather than a serious political engagement pretty much seems a punch line to me...

Edit:

On another slightly random note, for the interesting ideas quote:

Warren Buffett, in an interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election".

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Your info on the UCMJ is wrong (where do you find this crap?).   The UCMJ does NOT dictate the missionary position* and it does not restrict intercourse to married couples only.   Adultery can be a court martial offense if three specific conditions are met (2 of which are no-brainers; the 3rd not so much).   The 12 year old age limit (and 16 yo) are actually used to define the thresholds for various rape offenses.  

PS:  The UCMJ was revised in October 2007 so make sure you get the latest version. 

*Article 125 does prohibit sodomy in any form which prohibits oral or anal sex.  That is often misinterpreted as a stipulation on the missionary position.  However even the sodomy ban was overturned in  Coltner v. Henry, 394 F.2d 873 (7th Cir. court 1968).

In my US navy handbook they gave us at Boot. Had an entire section about that specific statement of position, age, and marriage requirments. Don't have it now as that's one of the things they force you to remove when you're separated, along with basically everything you can think of beyond a single set of clothing, shoes, and your DogTags (if you made it to that point before being declared ineligible)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

How come these comic strips you post are always written so weirdly? Can't tell if it's supposed to be humorous or what...and the ones you've posted always feel like they lack any sort of punch...

The author's brain is at least slightly broken is why. Disjointed thoughts lead to disjointed communication.

In my US navy handbook they gave us at Boot. Had an entire section about that specific statement of position, age, and marriage requirments. Don't have it now as that's one of the things they force you to remove when you're separated, along with basically everything you can think of beyond a single set of clothing, shoes, and your DogTags (if you made it to that point before being declared ineligible)

First it was in some "dumb law website".  Then you claimed it was in the UCMJ and now it's allegedly in some Navy Handbook.  But you won't (or can't) provide any form of documentation to back it up.  

Just to save you some time, it certainly isn't the Bluejacket's manual because the only mention in that publication is a reference on page 94 to (wait for it) the UCMJ and some very generic guidelines on pages 106-112,none of which mention specific positions or any of the mysterious rules you've mentioned.

http://seabeemagazine.navylive.dodlive.mil/files/2014/05/BLUEJACKETSMANUAL-Centennial-Edition-Part-1.pdf

And it's not in this one either:   http://www.nsfamilyline.org/publications/FamilyLineSeaLegs.pdf

So I'm just calling bull crap until you can prove it.  

• Like 1

Not quite on topic, but I saw this on RT.

573501c5c36188bd218b45d0.jpg

The headline image reminded me of something so I asked a friend and he came up with this:

Ted-Cruz-Colorado-Rally-Reuters.jpg

Make of it what you will.

This doesn't surprise me, it seems many people associated with the Trump campaign practice and sprout violent rhetoric and think its okay, how about this part of the article from the butler 

"Either way, I don't care. Hanging, shooting -- I'd prefer he'd be hung from the portico of the White House, or as I call it, the white mosque," Senecal said in a phone interview Thursday.
"Does it sound like I'm nuts? Because I'm not," he said. "I've just gotten fed up with him (Obama)."    :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/05/12/washington-post-columnist-forced-to-eat-his-newspaper-column-bec/21376158/

I have to respect this man for literally doing what he promised to do if somehow "Trump became the Republican candidate " 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

This doesn't surprise me, it seems many people associated with the Trump campaign practice and sprout violent rhetoric and think its okay, how about this part of the article from the butler 

"Either way, I don't care. Hanging, shooting -- I'd prefer he'd be hung from the portico of the White House, or as I call it, the white mosque," Senecal said in a phone interview Thursday.
"Does it sound like I'm nuts? Because I'm not," he said. "I've just gotten fed up with him (Obama)."    :blink:

It's a massive stretch to label an ex-butler as someone "associated with the Trump campaign". 

That sort of vitriol is common on both sides Bruce.   http://www.wnd.com/2015/12/kill-trump-enraged-left-calls-for-trumps-assassination/

Edited by kgambit

Right, and you (to a lesser extent than others) are trying to have her prosecuted under a rule set that was devised and kept on the books when Stealing a Horse was a justifiably hangable offense. When women couldn't vote and renting a room at a hotel as a married couple (when you're not) meant you were married.

IIRC, legally the penalty for horse thievery was not death.  Hanging of horse thieves was done by vigilantes (even if some were "lawmen") not by the state.

And while universal voting for Women wasn't ratified until the 1920s, there are records of women voting in 1756 (Lydia Taft) and New Jersey law gave women property owners (of property above a certain size) the vote until 1807 when laws officially disenfranchised women. 

I'd be curious to know which states had laws about unmarried couples being married due to virtue of renting a room together.  Most of the common law marriage laws I've heard of have a cohabitation rule that would not be met by sleeping together in a hotel room (and would also result in a lot of John-Prostitute marriages).

*does some digging* so recently (2011) a woman was given 60 years in prison in Arkansas for horse theft (five horses).

Jail was the legal punishment for horse thievery and cattle rustling (and still is; most states with large ranches will have laws about the theft of cattle and horses).  That doesn't change that a lot of people go hung for it, but it wasn't really the law to do that in most places.

It wouldn't surprise me if a town had a weird legacy rule - a lot of towns do - I just hadn't heard of it and most talk these days in states that do common law marriage, usually requires more than that rule.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Apparently Hillary is paying people to Troll for here on the web: http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/04/22/pro-hillary-pac-spending-1-million-to-hire-online-trolls/

Hey, I'd never give up MY principles! But I might sell them.... wonder what she is paying? :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell