My Kitty Died...

LJelf

Question

I've read old post that says that pets aren't supposed to die.

Not sure if it's a bug or just collateral damage.

Anyway, big battle and at the end 'the cutest cat' was dead. Awwr...

For a moment I considered whether I would have to load an earlier save.

I took 'the cutest cat' out of the pet slot and transferred to the stash and then retrieved.

Kitty successfully resurrected.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone had similar problems. Assume it works with all pets.

I was in the epic battle with giant spores deep in Caed Nua and barely survived it.

Easy difficulty.

Not sure whether this is a technical bug so please moderator if I've posted to the wrong forum could you correct?

LJ

6 answers to this question

Heya LJelf,

This happened to me a couple times as well, and it's just the saddest thing =(

I'm trying to catalog all of the abilities that do damage to pets at the moment, so I'll have to check out that fight to see what caused it. I'm pretty sure it has to do with raw damage AoEs, although it's probably not limited to that. I know for sure fighting Chanters with "Come, Come Soft Winds of Death" will damage pets, so be careful when fighting those!

Also a little bit of fun attached to this; if you zone while your pet is "dead" it'll follow you around as a "corpse", just sliding along the ground. Looks pretty funny.

Thanks for the post! And don't worry, this is the perfect forum for this bug =)

I try my very best.

I think enemy barbarians with the Carnage ability may also damage pets. I was fighting those bandits early on in the game while on that quest to retrieve that aumaua smith's stolen weapons shipment, and their barbarian leader damaged my nearby black hound pet for 0.0 damage while swinging at my main character! Not sure though if that was because of how the final reduced damage was calculated, or because the pet is immune to damage from Carnage.....

Hi Aartz

Yes, my Chanter has 'Come, come soft winds of death'. She's also using 'the Dragon Thrashed, the Dragon wailed."

I was fighting the giant spores deep in Caed Nua.

My chanter was the only one left standing with the health bars nearly empty. This went on for several minutes and I'm amazed I won in the end.

I was summoning phantoms and drakes which didn't have muct effect except to distract the spore long enough for my chanter  to recover from being charmed or stand behind and whack with staff.

I've still on 'L' plates with summoning Drakes so I there may well have been 'friendly fire' involved there too. I didn't like Kana at first so I hadn't used him much.

Kana was with me for this fight too but passed out fairly early (I think). He also has the death chant.

I really like that one and both chanters have it on all chants. Oops. I'll have use a 'death' free chant if there is a charm risk in future.

I'd noticed that the death chant affects allies but only just rememebered. So I probably killed my pet and knocked everyone else out while charmed. Eder was the last standing with me and he has the most endurance. I knew I'd handled it badly and nearly quit.

Kitty's healthy again but maybe I'll put my pet in Eder's backpack if things look dicey.

LJ

Sounds like that's exactly what happened: your chanter got charmed and chanted "Come, Come Soft Winds of Death" against your party, effectively killing your own pet. Luckily you can just re-equip the pet if it happens again, but I'm sorry you're running in to this issue. =(

I think enemy barbarians with the Carnage ability may also damage pets. I was fighting those bandits early on in the game while on that quest to retrieve that aumaua smith's stolen weapons shipment, and their barbarian leader damaged my nearby black hound pet for 0.0 damage while swinging at my main character! Not sure though if that was because of how the final reduced damage was calculated, or because the pet is immune to damage from Carnage.....

This is super interesting, and I'll have to take a look. Thanks for pointing it out! =)

• Like 1

I try my very best.

Hi Aartz

This was actually a pretty good wake up call to the dangers of being Charmed.

I'm wondering if it should really be fixed given Felix/Fido etc can be resurrected so easily?

Hmm... should pets really be indestructible?

Maybe they should be maimed and have to rest with the rest of the party?

I may have accidently posted something a few minutes ago that I tried to delete as I wasn't making sense.

(Not sure I am now either).

LJ