Still confused by Games and Saves and Characters and...

PinkRose

Question

I'm sure there is some method to the madness, but I just don't see it.

I had a group that went all the way through the Base Scenarios.

Kyra was part of that first group. And during that run, she got the Flaming Mace +1. Cool.

Then I went through on Heroic difficulty with 5 different characters, New, as the filter says.

Amiri was part of the second group. And during that run, she got the Flaming Mace +1. Ok, different group.

Then I wanted to do a mix of my favourites for Legendary. I put Kyra and Amiri in that same group.

They both have the Flaming Mace +1. I was able to give Kyra 2 Flaming Maces +1. (In my mind, she dual-wields them like a crazy lady)

But, that doesn't make sense. In the Base Set, there should be only 1 Mace.

1. Is this working as intended?

2. Can this be explained here better?

3. Can this be explained better in game?

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

Hey there ⚡

I am under the impression that the only cards that will appear once are Uniques.

I am now also confused.

I presume based on your example, that:

1. Experienced characters like Kyra and Amiri hold onto their cards as well as their Feats; and

2. That each time you start an adventure in a Save, you generate a fresh box of cards.

More clarity would be great.

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm sure there is some method to the madness, but I just don't see it.

I had a group that went all the way through the Base Scenarios.

Kyra was part of that first group. And during that run, she got the Flaming Mace +1. Cool.

Then I went through on Heroic difficulty with 5 different characters, New, as the filter says.

Amiri was part of the second group. And during that run, she got the Flaming Mace +1. Ok, different group.

Then I wanted to do a mix of my favourites for Legendary. I put Kyra and Amiri in that same group.

They both have the Flaming Mace +1. I was able to give Kyra 2 Flaming Maces +1. (In my mind, she dual-wields them like a crazy lady)

But, that doesn't make sense. In the Base Set, there should be only 1 Mace.

1. Is this working as intended?

2. Can this be explained here better?

3. Can this be explained better in game?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

2. I touched upon this in another thread but the box is created dynamically between scenarios so it will be possible for you to end up with more cards than are possible as compared to the physical game. Enjoy those Flaming Mace +1s! You were able to find two of them because two different parties found them. When a box is created dynamically it looks at cards in your deck for the current party. So now that Kyra has two Flaming Maces +1 you will not be able to find another one with that party. However if you start a new party you could run across another Flaming Mace with that party.

Hey there.

It is a significant difference from the physical version of the game, but I am willing to sacrifice that level of purity (from a rules perspective) to enjoy what so far appears to be a faithful re-creation of a game I greatly enjoy playing.

Thanks.

• Like 1

While I greatly enjoy playing, I'm not sure I agree.

I'm just one voice, but I think it changes the game when I can have 2 or more Maces +1.

It's super exciting when you draw that Deathbane Crossbow +1.

It's a lot less exciting if it's the 4th one you have. It changes the game and how you play, how much you have to spend to acquire it because you don't know the next time you'll see it.

If it means I have to play one group all the way through with no substitutions, that's fine. That's how I'll play, and I dig that others can play differently as well.

It just needs to be made absolutely clear how it works in game.

Edited by PinkRose
  • Like 1

Trying to stop this form of cheating is pretty much impossible, or would be incredibly restrictive. I like the current setup. If players are going to power game, they can feel free to do so.

Once you are in a multiplayer game, you fall into the same boat anyways. Someone can just stack maces by playing multiplayer with themselves. I doubt anyone wants their flaming mace +1 to poof into a mace every time they play multiplayer just to combat that corner case.

In single player, I understand the desire for it to be just like the physical game, but I don't mind this modest level of power creep. If I want to try out Seoni, Lem, and Ezren in the same "save", and you don't allow some spell duplication, one of those mages will definitely be forced down a fairly specific build since they will have no useful attack spells, OR all three of them will be quite mediocre.

With all that said, I could get behind some sort of "character legality" check in the future. Can this character be built with one box, given the scenarios they have succeeded in? I don't care about combinations of characters -- just one at a time. That would be a fix to this "all the flaming maces" problem?

• Like 1

While I greatly enjoy playing, I'm not sure I agree.

I'm just one voice, but I think it changes the game when I can have 2 or more Maces +1.

But this will only happen if you go WAY out of your way to make it happen. If you simply create a party and play straight through Story Mode, you'll only ever find one Flaming Mace. The digital implementation of the "box" takes nothing away from "normal" players. 

• Like 1

I totally agree. Borissimo. And yes, I had to make 2 different groups, find both maces, then swap them over to Kyra.

All I would want is a warning or message to tell me "HEY! You're doing something not able to do in the box."

But if they got tricks up their sleeves, I'm good with that.