I am one of those types that hears "Something's underpowered?  THAT'S WHAT I'M PLAYING!"  My first run on POTD was with a Paladin prior to the patch changes that improved them.  I went back to fool around and saw that the Kind Wayfarer talents scale now.  My goodness.  

ANYWAY ... So barbarian's are underpowered?  I am trying to figure out the best way to play one in 3.02, and I think the Firebrand route is the way to go.  This one is only level 6, and on it's way to the White March.  I could use some advice on mid game decisions.  

Early build structure based on Nerd Commando's guide, Boeroer's Riptide Ranger guide and some testing with Maneha at level 10.  The Shod-in-Faith boots are amazing with this stat spread.  I literally can't die & the Firebrand cuts through everything with a massive carnage radius (practical INT is 22 with bonuses).  

I haven't played this build at high levels, but a level 10 Maneha chews up mobs.  It's literally like watching the D&D game Temple of Elemental Evil with the Greater Cleave talent.  Swing firebrand.  Pause.  Swing firebrand again, >1Mob dies, BLOODTHIRST, no recovery bar, swing Firebrand, >1 mob dies, no recovery bar, etc ...  Lordy.

Key questions for folks: Recommendations on > lvl 8 talents / abilities?  Anything you would change on the stat spread?  Overkill on CON?  I have to admit it's nice to not die.

Strengths: 
- Nigh impossible to kill at low levels.  
- Chews through mobs like a blowtorch.  Add a Priest's Dire Blessing and things die in a big, big hurry.

Weaknesses:
- Low concentration.  A Priest is pretty much necessary - from lvl 2 onward, it was a constant battle opener with Holy Meditation for the +30 Concentration.  I also have a batch of Spirit Shield potions (HELLO finally a use for all the trash River Reeds).  
- Accuracy is just OK.  Not fantastic.  A Paladin is helpful  - Pallegina's aura has helped cut down on the grazes.  
- Only three Firebrand uses per rest, but frankly Firebrand isn't needed every fight.

===================================
FIRE, FIRE, FIRE
===================================
Difficulty: PotD v. 3.02
--------------------------------------------------------------
Class: Barbarian.  For teh sweet, sweet, Carnage.  
Race: Boreal Dwarf.  One weakness of this build is the low perception - in Act 1 / Act 2, in combo with Resting bonuses, this is a good mitigator.  Not sure how we'll do in the WM though.  Death Godlike could have been an option here.
Background: Living Lands / Colonist
Stats:

MIG: 21 <- is this overjkill?  I really like the healing from Shod in Faith so high MIG seems key.
CON: 19 <- is this overkill?  When testing with Maneha, she was getting KO'd at times
DEX: 8  <- seems low, but testing with Maneha indicates Bloodthirst is just that good
PER: 10 <- perhaps move some from CON or MIG?
INT: 18 <- I should have made this guy Vailian for the extra INT, it's awesome
RES: 3  <- thanks for the tip Boeroer!
Skills: Stealth 0, Athl. 3, Lore 0, Mech 0, Surv. everything else so far
Abilities/Talents: ??? - indicates not sure what to take - could use advice.
Hunter's Instinct 
Carnage
Frenzy <-- The speed helps given the low Dex
Savage Defiance <-- Not all that useful, literally haven't used it since picking up Shod-in-Faith
One Stands Alone <-- Not much else worth getting
Bloodthirst <-- Getting at lvl 7.  This literally seems to make the build.  I'm not joking.
??? Probably Thick Skinned at lvl 9
???
???
???

Weapon Focus Soldier
Two Handed Style
Scion of Flame
??? Probably Accurate Carnage at lvl 8
??? Probably Savage Attack but concerned about Accuracy
??? Maybe Apprentice Sneak Attack for more damage
??? Bull's Will?
???

---------------------------------------------------------------
Items:

Weapon set 1: Firebrand, baby!
Weapon Set 2: A WF Soldier item well enchanted.  Maybe tidefall or tall grass, we'll see

Boots: Shod-in-Faith.  These are amazing.

Head: Tempered Helm.  In testing with Maneha this really worked well ... "per kill" yep, we have a lot of those.  Also thinking about Garodh's chorus.

Armor: Probably Wayfarer's Hide.  Maybe Heldrik's Coat instead for the sturdy bonus?

Neck: Currently use the +2 INT necklace, probably better options

Belt: The Coil of Rope could be interesting to get sneak attacks or bonus accuracy.

Rings: Not sure what to go with at this point.

Hands: Forgemaster's gloves!!!

Barbs with Firebrand (and Scion of Flame) are not underpowered at all. :)

With Bloodthirst and Firebrand I think 9 DEX is fine. High CON on a low deflection barb is always great - that way you don't have to rest all the time because of low health.

You might want to wear either Clebrant's Gloves (gives you Overseeing = bigger radius and Holy Meditation, which will boost your Concentration by 30 points). They will help you a lot against interrupts while keeping your deflection down (the way you like it ;)). The other item you might want to use is the Belt of Chimes. It adds another +25 Concentration. Both items come from minor stronghold quests. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

With Bloodthirst and Firebrand I think 9 DEX is fine. High CON on a low deflection barb is always great - that way you don't have to rest all the time because of low health.

You might want to wear either Clebrant's Gloves (gives you Overseeing = bigger radius and Holy Meditation, which will boost your Concentration by 30 points). They will help you a lot against interrupts while keeping your deflection down (the way you like it ;)). The other item you might want to use is the Belt of Chimes. It adds another +25 Concentration. Both items come from minor stronghold quests. 

I love the Celebrant's Gloves, but sadly they're not compatible with using the Forgemaster's Gloves.  I was not aware of the Belt of Chimes, +25 Concentration is nothing to sneeze at.  I wish there was an easy way to get certain Stronghold quests.  There are some great items there.

• Like 1

I love the Celebrant's Gloves, but sadly they're not compatible with using the Forgemaster's Gloves.  I was not aware of the Belt of Chimes, +25 Concentration is nothing to sneeze at.  I wish there was an easy way to get certain Stronghold quests.  There are some great items there.

there might be a way to save scum stronghold adventures , from what i noticed saving before turning in a quest and then reloading if adventure didnt happen does not work , BUT if you get an adventure after turning in quest , reloading and turning it again might wield different adventure this happened to me just today , so basically you could try to save before turning in / advancing quests and after you get adventure you reload if you dont like it until you get the one u wanted 

Edited by Blunderboss

Man - how drunk was I when I posted this?

Of course you can't wear Celebrant's Gloves while you use Forgemaster's Gloves - sorry for that. :)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I love the Celebrant's Gloves, but sadly they're not compatible with using the Forgemaster's Gloves. I was not aware of the Belt of Chimes, +25 Concentration is nothing to sneeze at. I wish there was an easy way to get certain Stronghold quests. There are some great items there.

Man - how drunk was I when I posted this?

Of course you can't wear Celebrant's Gloves while you use Forgemaster's Gloves - sorry for that. :)

Hey Boeroer, put the beer down. Slowly. Friends don't let friends drink n post build advice. You could destroy entire playthroughs for thousands. I am hearing that's grounds for a felony these days.

• Like 2

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.