Hi Theurgist, like to say thanks for assembling this build with the detailed outline of items.  I'm just starting up PoE with both WM 1&2 purchased as well so I assume that means all these items will be available.  I'm currently enjoying my Monk, but been tempted to fire up a paladin of this sort as I have to have a outlet for the arse in me and play 'dark'.  

Though I don't expect a reply to this, aside from the thank you that I wanted to express, there is also a concern for how this seems like a end game char and not one that works their way through the campaign very effectively without being carried heavily.  Admittedly, I'm entirely ignorant of how Paladins play in PoE but it seems like without those named items you listed as essential, this build is going to suffer performance issues.  My question then would be, how painful is the leveling process without those items?  Tedious?  Doable with micro management?  Just curious if anyone else has had any experiences with leveling this build or if its assumed that you level as buffbot/tank and then respec for the carnage?

I'm not Blunderboss (Theurgist is his forum rank by the way) but I can hopefully answer your question.

Generally speaking, most builds posted on this forum will be late game builds to some extent in that they list items that aren't (easily) available in the early levels, and class abilities not available till high level. This is because the interesting item and ability combinations only appear later on; in the early-mid game you're mostly rolling with generic fine equipment and most of your class abilities aren't available yet. However that doesn't mean these builds are only horrible at lower levels. Generally speaking they'll just play like a fairly generic version of their class, and this build in no exception.

With this build in particular, you have the advantage of being a Paladin. Paladin's are very robust frontliners so you're not going to go through the painful process of being knocked unconscious on a regular basis. Your early game damage is not going to be anything to write home about, and you might be better served using a shield (Outworn Buckler bought in Gilded Vale is an obvious choice and is amazing) rather than dual wielding, though if you want to dual wield from the start of the game you certainly can. If anything, I suspect levelling this build would be less difficult than levelling others, as in the early game being flimsy is the limiting factor for a lot of classes, and the Paladin ain't flimsy.

By the way, much of the gear for this build isn't that late game. Theoretically you could pick up Bittercut at level 5 or 6, though more realistically level 8; the Gauntlets of Swift Action and Ring of Overseeing at both random loot so it's a bit down to luck, but you could get them fairly early; Sanguine Plate is from a quest in Defiance Bay that I missed in my first few playthroughs, but could be done at level 5 or 6; and Shod-in-Faith is bought from the Dwarf Smith in the Crucible Knight HQ once you've done their first quest (always do the first quest for all factions before doing the second for any of them). That's all the (!) marked items. Getting the second weapon will take longer, since Vent Pick is WM2 and you don't want to Helwax duplicate Bittercut until you've managed to make it Legendary (which requires an ingredient from WM2), but you can certainly substitute another stiletto or sabre and the build will still work. The rest of the gear can be susbtituted for something similar or simply the best item you can currently find for that slot.

• Like 1

I'm not Blunderboss (Theurgist is his forum rank by the way) but I can hopefully answer your question.

<snip>

Hi JerekKruger;

First.../blush...totally missed that his name wasn't Theurgist  :facepalm:   Thanks for drawing my attention to that, it'll save me future embarrassments.

2nd  wow...thanks for all that info!!!  Now my urge is in full swing to give this try, even though my Monk and Ranger have only just cleared the temple in Guilded Vale, I'm fully up for jumping on a Paladin like this!  (gets a bit staid, being a nice guy all the time).  totally didn't expect any replies at all, you definitely made my night  :dancing:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been using this build and liking it so far. What's the best off hand to use before the Vent Pick? I'm using Spelltongue right now and that seems pretty solid. The attack speed bonus is nice. I lucked out and found some +15% speed gauntlets recently and also got the +wave cloak so I'm in business. My only annoyance with using Spelltongue is it attacks so fast that a lot of times it will hit with the Flames of Devotion rather than Bittercut, so that might be the downside to using a fast weapon in the off hand. 

When doing a Full Attack, you will always attack with the offhand first. If you want to do FoD with Bittercut first, just change the weapons from left to richt and vice versa.

A good offhand weapon for Bittercut is Bittercut actually. ;) Until you get the Helwax Mold in order to clone Bittercut any other sabre will do. Resolution is fine for example. Since FoD has +20 ACC and Sworn Enemy also gives you +15 ACC, crits will happen a lot. Resolution has "Annihilating", which will give you +100% weapon damage on crit instead of +50%.

With FoD you want to use two weapons which hit very hard, not necessarily fast. So stilettos and clubs are not as good as sabres. Because FoD is limited to 2/encounter, you get the most out of it if you choose weapons with high damage per hit. After FoD you can switch to faster weapons if you like - or just keep hitting.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

For my DPS Paladin, I am roughly following this build. The main difference is that I went Kind Wayfarers, because I am a newb who is obsessed about survival. But now that I have most of the gear and talents from this build ready at level 13, the build is really beginning to shine. So thanks!

Totally makes sense. :)

After our "Monsterlash" conversation I briefly tested a Bleak Walker like this - with dual Bittercut an all the lashes and elemental talents you mentioned above. The FoD strikes are really... devastating! Way more powerful than an FoD arquebus shot - since it's a full attack and the full weapon damage plus lashed get multiplied by Scion of FLame and Spirit of Decay. And the normal attacks also deal a lot of damage because of that trick.

So I can absolutely confirm the aweseomness of that part. ;)

I have this guy to level 14, and I now have almost all the same stat distribution, gear, and offensive talents - except Remember Rakhan Field (I chose Wayfarer). And I am severely disappointed by the FoD burst damage. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I am not getting those massive hits. Was something from here nerfed since this build was posted?

Edit: Is Vent Pick the best off-hand choice here, if you don't have 2 Legendary Bittercuts? (As an aside, I don't understand the point of posting builds that stress Legendary weapon enchants. Isn't the game essentially over by then? My understanding is that the Kraken fight ends WM 2.)

Edited by Lampros

You can put some points into lore as well but this paladin build is not aimed at casting scrolls even if attributes are perfect for that , id rather spend my time auto attacking and tanking , and you have your own stuff to cast when encounter starts

If you are still on this forum: I am not quite sure about the "tanking" part. I've got 65 Deflection and relatively low HP/Endurance pool at level 14 with this build. And taking heavy hits. How did you manage to tank? I think I will have to give this guy Veteran's Recovery at least, and probably get rid of the Swaddling Clothes in favor of more Deflection/Defense item.

Otherwise, I am still loving this build. The FoD burst is weaker than I hoped, but the overall DPS is still satisfactory, and the build is very fun to play.

Edited by Lampros

If you are still on this forum: I am not quite sure about the "tanking" part. I've got 65 Deflection, mediocre Defense, and relatively low HP/Endurance pool at level 14 with this build. And taking heavy hits. How did you manage to tank? I think I will have to give this guy Veteran's Recovery at least, and probably get rid of the Swaddling Clothes in favor of more Deflection/Defense item.

Is this Paladin your main character? If so you should have at least 72 Deflection (without gear) when Faith and Conviction activates in combat (assuming you've been careful to choose the appropriate Dispositions), and 106 Fortitude, 86 Reflex and 102 Will. If it's not your main character then those values will be a little lower (I can't remember exactly how F&C scales for non-MC Paladins) but still pretty decent. Add on a bunch of bonuses from various items and buffs from spells and you should be tanky enough.

Don't forget that the bonus from F&C only activates during combat. Outside of combat your Defences will appear lower than they really are.

• Like 1

If you are still on this forum: I am not quite sure about the "tanking" part. I've got 65 Deflection, mediocre Defense, and relatively low HP/Endurance pool at level 14 with this build. And taking heavy hits. How did you manage to tank? I think I will have to give this guy Veteran's Recovery at least, and probably get rid of the Swaddling Clothes in favor of more Deflection/Defense item.

Is this Paladin your main character? If so you should have at least 72 Deflection (without gear) when Faith and Conviction activates in combat (assuming you've been careful to choose the appropriate Dispositions), and 106 Fortitude, 86 Reflex and 102 Will. If it's not your main character then those values will be a little lower (I can't remember exactly how F&C scales for non-MC Paladins) but still pretty decent. Add on a bunch of bonuses from various items and buffs from spells and you should be tanky enough.

Don't forget that the bonus from F&C only activates during combat. Outside of combat your Defences will appear lower than they really are.

No, the Chillfog tank is my main. Also, I edited out the "mediocre Defense" part; I got confused with my Pike Chanter. I also did not realize that Faith and Conviction boosts are only shown in combat. Thanks!

Remember that Frenzy from Sanguine Plate will lower your deflection by 10 and raise fortitude by 16.

But Frenzy won't proc on the initial few seconds though - usually. So that really should be out of equation - unless you wait to FoD until it procs. But then it won't be an "alpha" strike.

Eh? What has this to do with Flames of Devotion? I meant you will have altering defenses pre combat and even during combat. :)

Oops. I thought you were talking about the disappointing (at least for me) FoD alpha strike with this build. I was expecting monster numbers, but I didn't get them :(

Edit: And the Deflection stats I quoted were pre-combat, on the character screen.

Edited by Lampros

Hehe - you have to wait for dual Bittercuts with durgan steel and take Merciless Hand. If you didn't do that the damage of FoD isn't that "monster". ;)

What's Merciless Hand? And isn't Kraken the last fight? So I think double Legendary Bittercuts is way off.

Anyways, just to be clear:

I like this build. It is effective and fun. So I am not criticizing the build. But the alpha strike was disappointing (but my expectations may have been too high), and I do not think I can tank with this build.

Totally makes sense. :)

After our "Monsterlash" conversation I briefly tested a Bleak Walker like this - with dual Bittercut an all the lashes and elemental talents you mentioned above. The FoD strikes are really... devastating! Way more powerful than an FoD arquebus shot - since it's a full attack and the full weapon damage plus lashed get multiplied by Scion of FLame and Spirit of Decay. And the normal attacks also deal a lot of damage because of that trick.

So I can absolutely confirm the aweseomness of that part. ;)

I have this guy to level 14, and I now have almost all the same stat distribution, gear, and offensive talents - except Remember Rakhan Field (I chose Wayfarer). And I am severely disappointed by the FoD burst damage. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I am not getting those massive hits. Was something from here nerfed since this build was posted?

Edit: Is Vent Pick the best off-hand choice here, if you don't have 2 Legendary Bittercuts? (As an aside, I don't understand the point of posting builds that stress Legendary weapon enchants. Isn't the game essentially over by then? My understanding is that the Kraken fight ends WM 2.)

When I see a build that is based off items only found in the end game I discard them. But they are cool know about...

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

What's Merciless Hand? And isn't Kraken the last fight? So I think double Legendary Bittercuts is way off.

Merciless Hand is the unique Talent you get by siding with the Doemenels during Act II, it increases your crit modifier by 0.3 i.e rather than doing 1.5 times as much damage with a crit you'll do 1.8 times as much damage.

The Kraken is the last fight of the main quest in the White March II, but depending on what order you complete the game there can be plenty of difficult fights left after you've defeated it (bounties, dragons, archmagi, the final boss of the main quest etc.) so if you wanted to you could get a fair bit of use out of a Legendary Bittercut. Certainly I wouldn't use the Helwax Mold before I have made the item I want to duplicate Legendary (since duplicating also duplicates enchantments, you might as well get the best one you can).

• Like 2

Merciless Hand is the unique Talent you get by siding with the Doemenels during Act II, it increases your crit modifier by 0.3 i.e rather than doing 1.5 times as much damage with a crit you'll do 1.8 times as much damage.

The Kraken is the last fight of the main quest in the White March II, but depending on what order you complete the game there can be plenty of difficult fights left after you've defeated it (bounties, dragons, archmagi, the final boss of the main quest etc.) so if you wanted to you could get a fair bit of use out of a Legendary Bittercut. Certainly I wouldn't use the Helwax Mold before I have made the item I want to duplicate Legendary (since duplicating also duplicates enchantments, you might as well get the best one you can).

When using the Mold I like to use it before adding the lash and bonus type. It's nice to have different lashes and bonuses to multiple enemy types. Works great on Boeroer's Monksterlasher build.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

When using the Mold I like to use it before adding the lash and bonus type. It's nice to have different lashes and bonuses to multiple enemy types. Works great on Boeroer's Monksterlasher build.

That's certainly true. You can still enchant a weapon to Legendary, duplicate it, then add lashes and slayer enchants. 

This build pretty much dominated from level 13 onward. It even overtook the Tall Grass DPS Chanter from level 16 onward in terms of overall damage. Getting the IE Mod to apply the disposition preference to my custom Paladin significantly increased his Defense and permitted him to walk into everything; and two Durgan-enchanted Superb weapons (Bittercut and Purgatory - Purgatory on the other hand because of my normal dual wield habits, which always stress "vampiric" enchants!) - plus Immolation - did the rest. And since I used Wayfarers instead of Walkers, I probably did not even need Ancient Memory heals from my two Chanters, because my Paladin killed and thus activated on-kill heals constantly.

For the next run, I think I will try a more of a "crowd control" dual wield version with double stun/prone weapons. (I will probably need two Weapon Focuses - so I can wield something like a Godansthunyr/We Toki combo.

Edited by Lampros

Stun will suppress prone. So the stun/prone combo isn't very effective. You might want to consider Shatterstar (=double crit damage) and Godanysthunyr in the offhand. With FoD you will crit with the offhand first, stunning the target and then follow up with a crit with enhanced damage. Shatterstar also has Guarding which is not bad for a paladin.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Stun will suppress prone. So the stun/prone combo isn't very effective. You might want to consider Shatterstar (=double crit damage) and Godanysthunyr in the offhand. With FoD you will crit with the offhand first, stunning the target and then follow up with a crit with enhanced damage. Shatterstar also has Guarding which is not bad for a paladin.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the tip! Is there another useful Affliction weapon I can use on the offhand, rather than a straight damage weapon?