Faith and Conviction 3.02 bonuses

Is it intended that you dont get deflection bonuses for every disposition point like you did before?  As a Darcozzi I have 1 clever and have 4 DEF and 9 to saves...I know it was nerfed but just wondering about deflection.  Placing the topic here because I dont know if its a bug.

Have gun will travel.

Yes, it's intended. Faith and Conviction scales a bit weirdly now because you only get 4 points of Deflection for 6 points in your favoured dispositions. So both the first and sixth point don't actually add any Deflection.

On the bright side, this also means that getting one single point in a disfavoured disposition will not subtract a point of Deflection.

Edit: Kaylon was kind enough to list the exact bonuses you get for each disposition point in another topic. All credit goes to him.

Lv0 - 4/8

Lv1 - 4/9 (from 4.8/9.6)

Lv2 - 5/11 (from 5.6/11.2)

Lv3 - 6/12 (from 6.4/12.8 )

Lv4 - 7/14 (from 7.2/14.4)

Lv5 - 8/16 (from 8/16)

Lv6 - 8/17 (from 8.8/17.6)

Edited by fiddlesticks

not class breaking or anything but it hurts.  actually its a 3 DEF and 5 to saves hit.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

...meh? I can understand the nerf to the other defenses, but why bother tuning deflection by what, 2 points? I mean, does anyone think that such a small amount even has a noticeable impact in actual play? Like, was anyone complaining that paladins were 2% more durable than intended?

Honestly, that's the kind of nerf that leaves me baffled: it's change for change's sake, it adds nothing to the game aside from making players feel less rewarded when upholding to their's paladin's order tenets...

Edited by Njall

I assume they did it solely so that with the Deep Faith talent, you end up with a nice +10 Deflection and +20 to all other defences. Looks very neat, doesn't it? :)

It's exceptional case, regular paladin gets +3/+6 to defenses from levels. 

Edit: Kaylon was kind enough to list the exact bonuses you get for each disposition point in another topic. All credit goes to him.

Lv0 - 4/8

Lv1 - 4/9 (from 4.8/9.6)

Lv2 - 5/11 (from 5.6/11.2)

Lv3 - 6/12 (from 6.4/12.8 )

Lv4 - 7/14 (from 7.2/14.4)

Lv5 - 8/16 (from 8/16)

Lv6 - 8/17 (from 8.8/17.6)

How unfortunate he forgot half of them. Or intentionally skipped negative dispositions for whatever reasons.

Otherwise we would be able to see how broken it now is. My Goldpact Paladini has one point in disfavoured dispositions, and nothing else. Her bonuses are +3 and +6. Why was my deflection lowered? Why my other defenses were lowered by 2 and not by one? How asymmetrical!

Obsidian have messed with something they should not. They said numbers are rounded down but no, they are not. Numbers are being truncated not rounded down.  Numbers are rounded down after all. I was thinking of "rounding half down". Similar names.

Edited by hilfazer

Vancian =/= per rest.

The formula is +/- 0.8 Deflection and +/- 1.6 Defence per disposition point, rounded down.

EDIT: Rounded down is the same as being truncated in this case. It means that you always round to the nearest integer (whole number) less than the value. What I think you might be thinking about is rounding to the nearest integer, where you'd round up if the decimal was 0.5 or more, and down if it was less than 0.5.

Edited by JerekKruger

I assume they did it solely so that with the Deep Faith talent, you end up with a nice +10 Deflection and +20 to all other defences. Looks very neat, doesn't it? :)

Sure, a nerf intended to promote pointless symmetry. Sounds real neat.

Edited by Njall

Sure, a nerf intended to promote pointless symmetry. Sounds real neat.

Whilst I agree that it's a dumb nerf, I think it might also be the actual reason.

Yeah, maybe.

It's besides the point, though: it's still unasked for, unneeded, pointless and ultimately contributes to the rollercoaster of semi-random buff/nerfs/later-reverted-but-not-so-much-nerfs and so forth that the game's undergone since launch, and which makes it look like, sometimes, rather than aiming for balance they're just throwing random stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I love the game, and, while I can accept that some changes are needed, really, we're talking a single player game here: I bought the game 'cause I liked it, and I'd like the experience to be as consistent as possible. Instead, along with the much-needed bug fixes and sensible adjustments, we're also force-fed a bunch of (often seemingly random and/or mind bogglingly off- target, i.e. the 2.0 fighter nerf, later undone over the course of the next 6 months) balance changes nobody's been asking for.

As things stand now, and as much as I like PoE, I'll probably wait until they're done with the patching to buy Tyranny when it's out, which, really, is a shame, because it means I won't be playing it for 1+ years after it's released.

Edited by Njall

The formula is +/- 0.8 Deflection and +/- 1.6 Defence per disposition point, rounded down.

EDIT: Rounded down is the same as being truncated in this case. It means that you always round to the nearest integer (whole number) less than the value. What I think you might be thinking about is rounding to the nearest integer, where you'd round up if the decimal was 0.5 or more, and down if it was less than 0.5.

I stand corrected.

But it's still an exceptional case receiving a small nerf (by OEI's standards it nonexistent) that's asymmetrical and this asymmetry is directed against the player. And it caused a lot of confusion too.

Vancian =/= per rest.

So if the change is not going to be major it should not be made at all? That doesn't make much sense if the object is to fine tune the game.

If the change is so small you think it doesn't make any real difference over time then what's to complain about - what's the difference between change for change sake and not changing for not changing sake?  8)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

So if the change is not going to be major it should not be made at all? That doesn't make much sense if the object is to fine tune the game.

If the change is so small you think it doesn't make any real difference over time then what's to complain about - what's the difference between change for change sake and not changing for not changing sake?  8)

Nah. We're not even talking "minor" changes in this case, we're talking "inconsequential changes". Really, the impact is so small that the only thing such a change achieves is making people feel less rewarded when they stick to their paladin's moral code.

And the difference between "change for change sake" and "not changing for not changing sake" is that the latter costs a grand total of 0 resources, doesn't introduce any more bugs in a game already rife with them and doesn't require people to relearn/reevaluate the underlying math of the game every time a frickin' patch lands.

This is not an extended beta, we're supposed to be playing a finished product.

Edited by Njall
  • Like 1