Panama papers leak

Malcador

https://panamapapers.icij.org/

Other sites, but am cursed to use mobile for the day. Pretty big news apparently, though nothing illegal at least from what I have been hearing. 2.6 TB is a heck of a lot of (text) data.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The next few days are going to be interesting. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm pretty impressed at how quiet the press managed to keep it considering how many people knew about the leak.

At the moment it seems to be a whole lot of smoke and very little fire and some nationalities are conspicuously absent from the documents released. Definitely more to come.

Not so surprising to be honest, our current systems breed corruption by empowering the fraudulent and dishonest.

Not sure this is fair to the reality of the modern world? Most systems work and deliver more good than bad. Corruption is a choice ultimately...yes there are factors that influence corruption but I still believe its a choice 

Also what systems reward the dishonest ? I know this point is subjective but because you live in Denmark which is consistently rated as one of the  least most corrupt countries in the world I am interested in what systems you would consider so flawed?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

So Panama is the new Switzerland?

People, corporations, large banks, and probably even governments have been laundering money through Panama since at least as far back as the 80s. It's historically been a hotspot for 'drug money' (which is one of peripheral reasons Bush Sr. invaded in 89), among other things.

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

So Panama is the new Switzerland?

No  :)

Its much easier to hide and transfer money in a country like Panama than Switzerland. There would be less accountability or enforcement of certain legal banking procedures 

Switzerland is still a "neutral " country and encourages people  to invest money but it also has in the past opened its banking sector up to allow for certain bank accounts to be frozen 

If I wanted to hide money from the South African government I would still chose somewhere like Switzerland over Panama

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm pretty impressed at how quiet the press managed to keep it considering how many people knew about the leak.

At the moment it seems to be a whole lot of smoke and very little fire and some nationalities are conspicuously absent from the documents released. Definitely more to come.

Apparently people in the US and others will be forthcoming. Press has to drag this out, I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If I wanted to hide money from the South African government I would still chose somewhere like Switzerland over Panama

Switzerland is less likely to be the subject of US military intervention... :p

As for the lack of outrage, I'm guessing it's because it's something everyone expected and assumed and a confirmation is just a nice extra, not a startling revelation.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's the "Why yes, people who are rich are able to afford the lawyers and accountants to utilise obscure tax and finance law along with setting up shell companies, off shore accounts, and get banking instittutions to 'facilitate' matters that people without money can't do."

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Switzerland is less likely to be the subject of US military intervention... :p

As for the lack of outrage, I'm guessing it's because it's something everyone expected and assumed and a confirmation is just a nice extra, not a startling revelation.

:lol:  Can you imagine an Iraq style invasion of Switzerland by the USA....

John Milton 

Kinda strange what hasn't been published from the link, don't you think?

What do you expect? The leak is being managed by the grandly but laughably named “International Consortium of Investigative Journalists”, which is funded and organised entirely by the USA’s Center for Public Integrity. Theirfunders include

Ford Foundation
Carnegie Endowment
Rockefeller Family Fund
W K Kellogg Foundation
Open Society Foundation (Soros)

among many others. Do not expect a genuine expose of western capitalism. The dirty secrets of western corporations will remain unpublished.

Expect hits at Russia, Iran and Syria and some tiny “balancing” western country like Iceland. A superannuated UK peer or two will be sacrificed – someone already with dementia.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2016/04/corporate-media-gatekeepers-protect-western-1-from-panama-leak/

I'll wait until all the data has been released, if ever.
  • Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What do you expect? The leak is being managed by the grandly but laughably named “International Consortium of Investigative Journalists”, which is funded and organised entirely by the USA’s Center for Public Integrity. Theirfunders include

Ford Foundation

Carnegie Endowment

Rockefeller Family Fund

W K Kellogg Foundation

among many others. Do not expect a genuine expose of western capitalism. The dirty secrets of western corporations will remain unpublished.

Expect hits at Russia, Iran and Syria and some tiny “balancing” western country like Iceland. A superannuated UK peer or two will be sacrificed – someone already with dementia.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2016/04/corporate-media-gatekeepers-protect-western-1-from-panama-leak/

They got it from a German newspaper, and believe me there is nothing they would like more than to expose the dirty secrets of western corporations. 

If this had been leaked to a Russian newspaper, do you really think any of them would have remained un-arrested for very long.  2,6 terabytes worth of files if I recall. You need a small army of reporters.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Ford Foundation

Carnegie Endowment

Rockefeller Family Fund

W K Kellogg Foundation

They got it from a German newspaper, and believe me there is nothing they would like more than to expose the dirty secrets of western corporations. 

If this had been leaked to a Russian newspaper, do you really think any of them would have remained un-arrested for very long.  2,6 terabytes worth of files if I recall. You need a small army of reporters.

On the contrary, why should they **** the bed?

But we shall see, only 149 out of 11 million records have been released so far, and this is only one company of many. We shall see if the rumors are true and we will suddenly see capital fleeing the Caymans and Switzerland to the new tax havens in Nevada, Wyoming and South Dakota.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Story is breaking big across Europe and the papers are loving it. All despite the secret Bilderberg/Illiuminati meetings with all the western CEOs and political leaders it seems.

One thing about big scoops. When they get big enough they generally trump the editorial line and whatever proprietorial influence applies.

Anyway, seems like the tax hideout was something favored by rich individuals rather than multinationals, who are probably much too smart to ever be caught out like this. Though not for any pressing ethical considerations I'm sure.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

On the contrary, why should they **** the bed?

Easy, Wikileaks has a copy so the bed is going to get some suspicious brown stains and an agricultural odour even if they tried to put down PVC sheeting and compulsory Depends Brand adult nappies on everyone who used it. They cannot protect anyone, at best they can manage the release- which they would do anyway, months of salacious headlines is better than a day or a weeks worth.

They've already implicated Dave Cameron's dad and Cameron himself by extension since he gave a no comment/ private to whether it was still operating. Plus the President of Argentina, the first US friendly one in ages.

Edited by Zoraptor

http://abcnews.go.com/International/putins-reported-best-friends-implicated-massive-document-leak/story?id=38136494

I see some of  Putin's closest  friends have been implicated in this scandal, its no surprise that Putin would have some association to this

The Kremlin has dismissed this of course ....its " just a Western scandal to undermine Putin ", this comment surprises me as Putin doesn't need the West to undermine him...he does this perfectly fine on his own

John Milton 

Putin isn't the only one. The Cameron family (British Prime minister) has gotten into the deep end too...

Oops

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

In Finland people seem to be quite displeased after the fact that this papers show that one of our biggest banks (Nordea) has helped their rich clients to establish off shore companies in tax havens when they have same time call for cuts in salaries and benefits for poorer people. It is probably help that their defense was, what they did wasn't illegal and it was their clients not them who possible didn't pay their taxes.

Also Iceland's prime minister seems to be on hot waters, because of his ties to off shore company that was one of the biggest creditor during Iceland's bank crises and he conveniently forgot mention that when he seek office on platform against Iceland's banks and people using this sort of companies.

I would guess that even though I am bit skeptic that this will cause any serious criminal cases it will produce movement that seeks to change international financial agreements and set of laws that make tax havens if not illegal then at least much less attractive. 

• Like 2

In Finland people seem to be quite displeased after the fact that this papers show that one of our biggest banks (Nordea) has helped their rich clients to establish off shore companies in tax havens when they have same time call for cuts in salaries and benefits for poorer people. It is probably help that their defense was, what they did wasn't illegal and it was their clients not them who possible didn't pay their taxes.

Also Iceland's prime minister seems to be on hot waters, because of his ties to off shore company that was one of the biggest creditor during Iceland's bank crises and he conveniently forgot mention that when he seek office on platform against Iceland's banks and people using this sort of companies.

I would guess that even though I am bit skeptic that this will cause any serious criminal cases it will produce movement that seeks to change international financial agreements and set of laws that make tax havens if not illegal then at least much less attractive. 

That's what i am interested in as well. What political movements or characters will arise from this? What laws will be created? The current bet is that certain states in the US will be the new havens, which is not such a far strech in itself. After all, they do not have the best record of caring about "international law".

I think that is the way it is turning, unless some major stakeholders in the EU power sphere is busted through this.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Not so surprising to be honest, our current systems breed corruption by empowering the fraudulent and dishonest.

Oh come on, Fionavar isn't that bad.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.