I am just curious, is there any list out there and shows a recommendation of best named armors to use for various classes (or general roles?)

Ex: best armor for a ranger, best armor for a standard (non-melee) wizard, best for a tank, best for a non-tank melee, etc. I always have a hard time deciding what bonuses are worth sacrificing some recovery for on any of my DPS/support characters.

Sanguine Plate best for your melee needs

You can get it very early in the game

Can enchant it up to 20 DR step by step from fine to legendary

If you durganize it later it only has 0.02 recovery penalty after frenzy proc

+2 Survival is the thing nowadays you can get to 3rd tier of Damage Reduction bonus or 3rd tier healing bonus and have enough for another skill .

Argwes Adra - best for a sup-tank. 2 lore and Second chance are just great.

Hunter's Mail - good for monk/barbarian tank. Who are actually going to take a lot of damage.

Ryona's Breastplate - best suited for a monk and tankish paladin.

Pike's Pride - an alternative to Blaidh Golan. You trade preservation for +10 will.

Wayfarer's Hide - can be useful for a frontline druid, who can pop the vigor before shapeshifting.

Angio's Gambeson - best for a dps, who doesn't use reloading weapons. (unless you carry daom potions)

Raiment of Wael's Eyes - Mirrored Image proc, might be useful for your usual spellcaster.

Gwisk Glas - a quite needed robe for a ranged caster who carries the Scrolls of Revival.

• Like 1

Durgan enchanted angios gambeson only has 5% recovery and then u get DAoM and decent DR so enemy dont target you instantly

Other decent choice for back line caster/ranged dps is armor with 2 Survival from Defiance Bay lighthouse , +2 survival gives huge benefit when u want to reach levels 12-18 in survival and u can enchant it so it only has 5% recovery , im using such armor on my ranger , which has +20% damage on flanked targets from mid game

Edited by Blunderboss

Hunter's Mail - good for monk/barbarian tank. Who are actually going to take a lot of damage.

Pike's Pride - an alternative to Blaidh Golan. You trade preservation for +10 will.

Wayfarer's Hide - can be useful for a frontline druid, who can pop the vigor before shapeshifting.

Angio's Gambeson - best for a dps, who doesn't use reloading weapons. (unless you carry daom potions)

Raiment of Wael's Eyes - Mirrored Image proc, might be useful for your usual spellcaster.

Gwisk Glas - a quite needed robe for a ranged caster who carries the Scrolls of Revival.

I'd add in He Who Carries Scars - the plate armor from undead Raedric with the endurance regen. The Golden Scales are not bad as well.

You can upgrade everything to Exceptional, getting to Superb, or Legendary requires hard to get, late game only, limited to like two pieces and also are shared between armor and shields.

Early and mid-game DR is really powerful but many end game foes hit hard enough that trading 5 DR for 15% faster actions is a fair trade. This makes Superb lighter armor - Golden Scales, Wayfarer's Hide - attractive compared to an Exceptional Sanguine plate.

He Who Carries Scars might be good depending on play-style. I usually tend to heal up asap. Especially in harder fights, like against dragons. And standing below 25% for the DR benefit, would be quite risky. So there was only regeneration left for me. Which again.. felt a bit lackluster: 1 endurance every 3s. In a 90s fight it would regen for only 30 endurance... 

Regarding Golden Scales, I agree, it's a great armor. It's just that.. you get it kinda late. After coming to Cragholdt, I had only Concelhaut and Llengrath encounters left. Will probably try to get it earlier next time (esp. before Radiant Spore)

Also worth mentioning is the Kaoto's/Tidebringer monk outfit. Theoretically great. But in practice, the encounters that follow the Abbey are not focused around charm and domination. It's defenses got wasted. Also martyr.. although it sounds like a great buff, but usually its just better to revive your dps back...

Edited by MaxQuest

In my opinion defense against CC is more important than DR or damage boosts, especially in the higher difficulty settings.

My highest rated equipment has either of the following,

Loyal, Defiant - resistance against charm, confuse and dominate.

Preservation - defense while stunned or prone. (Against stunned is very important considering it is very difficult to find defense against these)

Break-Out - half duration of stun and knock-down

Sturdy - defense against prone and push

Freedom - defense against stuck, hobbled and paralyzed.

Clarity - defense against all debuffs.

Two of the same don't stack, so don't wear a Break-Out armor if you property on your helmet etc.

Spell-defense, pure Will and Fortitude bonuses and/or useful spell procs are secondary.

Special treatment for my PC, since a lot of conversation checks he priorities bonuses to pure stats lore to cover most situations.

In general Tanks usually have the highest DR possible, especially early since there are so few alternative tactics. When buffs and CC are very limited. I have tried Chanter/Fighter/Paladin/Cipher/Monk tanks so far.

I personally do not like Sanguine plate, reckless tactics depending on procs and self debuffs. But I don't like Frenzy, I even made my barbarian without it believe it or not, and he did just fine damage-wise.

My favorite for sturdy melee brawlers are the (also mentioned above) Wayfarer's Hide. Superb hide (11 Dr, -25% rec), Freedom(!).

Or Blaidh Golan, Fine Hide (7 DR, -25% rec), Break Out & Preservation (!!).

As an attempt to make a front-line battle mage last run, I randomly slapped on the Hand and Key, Fine Breastplate (10 DR, -40% rec) Loyalty(!).

Oddly enough I never found a reason to take it off. Because of the relatively high DR she was rarely targeted, so there was less time needed to cast defensive spells and more time casting CC on the enemy team.

For archers I like to use plain clothes if enchanted as much as as affordable at the time. But only if you can guarantee their safety such as letting them stay back-against-the wall with companions all around, so no monks can come flying at them.

• Like 1

The best armor overall (for me) is Blaidh Golan. Combine it with Ilfan Byrngar's Solace and you are unhittable if you get stunned or prone (+100 to all defenses).

It's light (= fast enough) but not too light (has ok DR). With durgan reinforcemant it only has a 10% penalty. You can get it very early and it looks great on barbs, rangers or druids - together with a Stag Helmet or The Dunryd Demon or Garodh's Chorus. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I am running a PotD with party of only 3 characters, (Fighter, Cypher and Wizard), all custom. My Cypher run with Osric's family breastplate when I cant use bottle neck with DEX 16 and VA and works fine. Is a little heavy armor but give a lot of survival.

Second Chance armors are very decent early-midgame , when your party has no ressurects , and characters knocked down and brought up dont die instantly right after , it looses all of its value after midgame imo because endurance u get brought back with is not really enough unless ur character is a tank , but then again i never use second chance on tanks . Ofcourse Robe with Second Chance is another category due to how easy is to get 0 recovery with it , also if you are playing with knockout injuries second chance is not that good anymore

Edited by Blunderboss
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Personally I'm a big fan of Blaidh Golan Armor:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Blaidh_Golan

I also like the look of it.

After using it almost exclusively on my hybrid Fighter in my current PotD run, I am surely convinced.

Wayfarer's Hide is indeed fantastic; I seriously considered duplicating it instead of Little Savior this run. I don't like heavier armor pieces like Argwes Adra though. The weight slows you down too much for my taste, and the DR becomes less relevant mid- and late-game - right around when you can get your hands on Argwes Adra.

I had my Wizard wear Wael's Eyes the entire current run, and I am very satisfied. I tend to look for defensive or anti-CC enchantments, and Wael's Eyes happen to have two of such enchantments,

In my opinion defense against CC is more important than DR or damage boosts, especially in the higher difficulty settings.

My highest rated equipment has either of the following,

Loyal, Defiant - resistance against charm, confuse and dominate.

Preservation - defense while stunned or prone. (Against stunned is very important considering it is very difficult to find defense against these)

Break-Out - half duration of stun and knock-down

Sturdy - defense against prone and push

Freedom - defense against stuck, hobbled and paralyzed.

Clarity - defense against all debuffs.

Two of the same don't stack, so don't wear a Break-Out armor if you property on your helmet etc.

Spell-defense, pure Will and Fortitude bonuses and/or useful spell procs are secondary.

Special treatment for my PC, since a lot of conversation checks he priorities bonuses to pure stats lore to cover most situations.

In general Tanks usually have the highest DR possible, especially early since there are so few alternative tactics. When buffs and CC are very limited. I have tried Chanter/Fighter/Paladin/Cipher/Monk tanks so far.

I personally do not like Sanguine plate, reckless tactics depending on procs and self debuffs. But I don't like Frenzy, I even made my barbarian without it believe it or not, and he did just fine damage-wise.

My favorite for sturdy melee brawlers are the (also mentioned above) Wayfarer's Hide. Superb hide (11 Dr, -25% rec), Freedom(!).

Or Blaidh Golan, Fine Hide (7 DR, -25% rec), Break Out & Preservation (!!).

As an attempt to make a front-line battle mage last run, I randomly slapped on the Hand and Key, Fine Breastplate (10 DR, -40% rec) Loyalty(!).

Oddly enough I never found a reason to take it off. Because of the relatively high DR she was rarely targeted, so there was less time needed to cast defensive spells and more time casting CC on the enemy team.

For archers I like to use plain clothes if enchanted as much as as affordable at the time. But only if you can guarantee their safety such as letting them stay back-against-the wall with companions all around, so no monks can come flying at them.

I totally agree with you. Defensive

Defense Against some status effect looses all of its value when u have priest in party who can make everybody immune to it

True, but we are all human, and sometimes we forget to cast stuff in a timely fashion. And it's a lot of micro-management, too (not to mention that I don't think you can in fact cast everything in a timely fashion from one Priest).

The best armor overall (for me) is Blaidh Golan. Combine it with Ilfan Byrngar's Solace and you are unhittable if you get stunned or prone (+100 to all defenses).

It's light (= fast enough) but not too light (has ok DR). With durgan reinforcemant it only has a 10% penalty. You can get it very early and it looks great on barbs, rangers or druids - together with a Stag Helmet or The Dunryd Demon or Garodh's Chorus. 

And it's even better if you combine Blaidh Golan with Little Savior! ;)

Second Chance armors are very decent early-midgame , when your party has no ressurects , and characters knocked down and brought up dont die instantly right after , it looses all of its value after midgame imo because endurance u get brought back with is not really enough unless ur character is a tank , but then again i never use second chance on tanks . Ofcourse Robe with Second Chance is another category due to how easy is to get 0 recovery with it , also if you are playing with knockout injuries second chance is not that good anymore

Agree. When I started the game, I took Unbroken on all my Fighters and wore Second Chance armor on the rest. Now I do neither.