Pathfinding made me quit ( again ).

The AI for combat in this game is atrocious.

For the umpteenth time my melee heavy ( 2 sword n board, 2 quarterstaff barbarians ) defied logic in the ruins for the weapons quest. An engagement began and instead of engaging the enemy in the same room these clowns run around the corner and aggro the next room. I've watched them do this at least a dozen times since I've been leveling them. You need to clear rooms with the thought in mind that this absurd AI WILL pull mobs it can't even seen in adjacent rooms.

I had to quit because of this before and surprise, surprise in about the same place again. The AI really ruins what would otherwise be a perfect game. I'm sorry but this issue should be number one in your development efforts. It should have been fixed at launch.

It seems rather simple to me ( don't engage mobs not flagged for combat who aren't in line of sight ) but I don't know your engine so I can't say for sure. I'll just refrain from raising my blood pressure until I hear otherwise that this specific issue has been fixed.

• Like 1

The AI for combat in this game is atrocious.

For the umpteenth time my melee heavy ( 2 sword n board, 2 quarterstaff barbarians ) defied logic in the ruins for the weapons quest. An engagement began and instead of engaging the enemy in the same room these clowns run around the corner and aggro the next room. I've watched them do this at least a dozen times since I've been leveling them. You need to clear rooms with the thought in mind that this absurd AI WILL pull mobs it can't even seen in adjacent rooms.

I had to quit because of this before and surprise, surprise in about the same place again. The AI really ruins what would otherwise be a perfect game. I'm sorry but this issue should be number one in your development efforts. It should have been fixed at launch.

It seems rather simple to me ( don't engage mobs not flagged for combat who aren't in line of sight ) but I don't know your engine so I can't say for sure. I'll just refrain from raising my blood pressure until I hear otherwise that this specific issue has been fixed.

I've seen this once. Quite annoying (although it makes the fight much much more challenging.) I'd think a simple "Don't route the AI through the fog of war." Would be fine. You could turn auto attack off. I have my AI set to "Defensive." My party doesn't move that much in that status. (Quite annoying when an enemy is slightly out of range of on of my defensive (ranged) characters and they just sit there like "Yeah I'll just chill here and watch you guys fight them instead of taking 1 step forward to shoot the guy myself.")

Also, I really wish there was an auto-pause that would be set when a character is idle. (Not attacking anyone or casting any spells.) 

Edited by corrado33

The pathfinding AI really annoys me no end when my characters INSIST on taking the longest path around the melee to get to the target I tell them to go after.  I see them start in the wrong direction, and I'll tell them to stop and re-issue the order.  And they'll just keep on doing the same effing stupid thing, time after time after time.  :banghead:

I will say that it hasn't driven me to quit, but it does annoy the ever-living hell out of me.  

• Like 1

There could be an automated "stand your ground" formation (can be turned off in settings) at the beginning of every combat.

While in "SYG" formation, characters will slowly (as in cautiously) move towards enemies until they're in range for either engage in melee or fire ranged. SYG is lifted when a party member (but lifted ONLY for that party member) is ordered to attack a specific enemy, SYG could give a bonus to all defenses like +3, since characters are being aware/cautious and not amidst the chaos of combat yet.

Enemies could also employ some smart use of SYG based on tactical scenario/map advantage.

Its sort like the stealth mode, the problem is that when characters are detected in stealth, they instantly become stupid.

This thing of characters running head-on into combat like idiots is so 2 decades old, I mean "baldursgateish" ^^

Also the body-block that creatures apply to each other is fine if/when enemies are close, but its too large when no enemies are nearby and a creature is just seeking passage through its own allies (who are not engaged in melee), should have been more well-adjusted too.

Edited by Himself

Hmm...it's never made me quit, but it has helped kill a few of my playthroughs. Enough times of the 6 ranger team having 2 pets attacking the mob, and the other 4 just standing behind with plenty of room to circle around gets old. Or having 3 guys with Reach weapons and 3 with normal, and having the guys with reach just run in place behind a normal dude, where if they just stopped moving and started attacking, they could hit the mob.

Like, if I just select the dude running in place and choose attack, he'll start hitting the mob. It'd be nice if I didn't have to so frequently micro stuff that should be handling itself. (Game still has a pretty terrible micro issue, though it's faaar better than it was in 1.X. Hello manually reloading weapons out of combat, ugh).