Charm Effect Ending Prematurely

I just started a new playthrough using a cipher on POTD.  Through whisper of treason my charmed enemies are randomly shedding their charmed effect during its duration without any other effect from other enemies or themselves(timer will go from like 10 sec left to disappearing). It has happened on xaurips, wolves, and bandits so far as I am only in the first act.  I have not noticed this before and I can't find any information about a patch changing how it works.

If there is only one enemy remaining, any confuse-branch effect will immediately dissipate. Can't tell from your post whether this applies to your situation, but that's the most commonly reported scenario.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

No, unfortunately it is happening while multiple enemies are engaged. I have used charm on a single alone enemies and it still works for a few seconds though but yes I have noticed it stops on those early as well.

• Like 1

They were attacking an enemy, but I thought that was the point of charmed, they fight for you side instead of theirs. However, it seems to be random because sometimes(~50%) the duration goes until full(while attacking their ally) but sometimes it stops in the middle somewhere no matter what their current action is.  

Are these full duration Hits or half duration Grazes? In other words are these 10 sec Grazes that are only lasting for 5 secs or...?

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I have the same thing, makes charms rather worthless, or unreliable at best. And to clear up any confusion, it is not because of grazes, or the dude getting attacked, or it being the last target alive, or it not having viable targets nearby, or Hiravias trying to shag it, etc. Countless times I have very carefully charmed an enemy that hasn't been attacked, is not being attacked, and will not get attacked (or randomly damaged by AoE or whatever). I have zero AI on for anyone in my party ever so nothing happens without my command. My current party doesn't even have any casters so it's not like it could have wandered into a chill fog or something. When a 20 second+ charm is getting removed for no cause whatsoever after 3-5s most of the time, it's clearly a bug.

• Like 1

Are these full duration Hits or half duration Grazes? In other words are these 10 sec Grazes that are only lasting for 5 secs or...?

It doesn't seem to matter, I have gotten a crit for around 20 sec that cut off at 10 and I have had a normal hit (~12 seconds) cut off with what was around 3 seconds left.  It happens about half the time and I am watching the timer that shows up when I click on them, it just drops with no outside influence.

If it's happening consistently, I'd recommend grabbing some screen shots and maybe a save game and opening at ticket in the tech support section.

What might be happening is:

You charm an enemy. Charmed Enemy fights other enemies, all other enemies fight Charmed Enemy. 

Meaning, after a couple seconds, combat ends, because technically you're not in combat anymore. The game thinks it's just two factions fighting each other, just like what happens when you, say, lure a group of bandits into a group of trolls and they start killing each other. 

Of course, the moment combat ends, the effect you placed on them wears off - and then, presto, combat starts again. 

This is what happens to me a few times, and it's easier to tell if you have autopause on combat start. 

It's technically not a bug, though I think it should be fixed. The easy solution right now is keep fighting them, instead of letting the charmed guy do it all alone.

• Like 1

Ok thanks, that makes sense.  Seems more like a bug since, if your idea is correct, will not be able to re-position myself if needed during combat.  I might be able to test it by getting backlash to check if per encounter abilities refresh.

What might be happening is:

You charm an enemy. Charmed Enemy fights other enemies, all other enemies fight Charmed Enemy. 

Meaning, after a couple seconds, combat ends, because technically you're not in combat anymore.

That may be happening some times but is definitely not what's happening to me most of the time.

• 2 years later...

Anyone ever figure out what the problem was? I just started a new POTD run through as a Cipher this week on latest version and am encountering exactly this issue: charm 1 enemy in a group of enemies and it just gets un-charmed after 2-3 seconds, with nobody hitting it etc. (hitting enemies never un-charms them anyway)

• 4 weeks later...