People keep saying that Paladins are not a DPS class, but my experience is otherwise - albeit I am a newb. In my admittedly limited experience, they can do decent DPS until level 13 (Sacred Immolation), and they can match anyone after level 13. In fact, in my experience they do only mildly less DPS than a full-blown, dual wield/Dragon Thrashed DPS Chanter once they get Sacred Immolation. So I am having a hard time understanding people complaining about Paladin DPS.

I think you overestimate Paladins and Chanters because of your dislike of micro. Wizards, Druids and Priests can all do absurdly high damage if you empty their spell books as fast as possible.

Also, whilst Sacred Immolation is indeed a great damage dealing ability, Paladins aren't particularly great at single target damage dealing (Flames of Devotion is good but limited) and sometimes you simply need to focus an enemy down.

Agree I always have one single target damage dealer.  Usually a Fighter or a Rogue as they can both achieve extremely high ACC values against hard targets.  Riposte rogues and DW Fighters have done the best job for me.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Rogue with firebrand is another option. In the great scheme of things, paladin are not exactly a top tier class in melee. They are inferior to anybody but casters and chanters.

That does not mean Paladin can't damages in melee. But a true melee DPS would do better (Paladins have many other strengths.). In this case the slight bonus is you would anyway pick Scion of Flames with your paladin, so it's not a bad idea.

But I'm always surprised about how many people want to build a DPS paladin.

I suspect that a great many of those people do it because that's how they feel paladins should have been in the first place, rather than the leader/support class that the devs foisted on the players. Paladins may have "many other strengths", but I suspect that those are strengths that many players would give up in a heartbeat for a more offensively oriented paladin class. Oh, some of their abilities are nice enough, but it seems to me that if you really want a support second line support character that can do these things, a priest can do them just as well, even if he has to do them a little differently. I think that a lot of players would rather that the paladin class was a class of "holy warriors" (I use that term loosely...) than what they are today. And that's why I think you see a lot of players trying to play them that way, regardless of how the class is designed.

People keep saying that Paladins are not a DPS class, but my experience is otherwise - albeit I am a newb. In my admittedly limited experience, they can do decent DPS until level 13 (Sacred Immolation), and they can match anyone after level 13. In fact, in my experience they do only mildly less DPS than a full-blown, dual wield/Dragon Thrashed DPS Chanter once they get Sacred Immolation. So I am having a hard time understanding people complaining about Paladin DPS.

Moreover, and this is another angle, Paladins in most RPGs or MMORPGs are in fact low-DPS, support classes. So if anything, I think PoE gives it far more offensive tools than is usually the case elsewhere. And this is the PoE Paladin's biggest appeal for me in fact.

Well.... when I think Paladin I think AD&D Holy Avenger.... which makes me think Mega Damage Dealer.

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

I think you overestimate Paladins and Chanters because of your dislike of micro. Wizards, Druids and Priests can all do absurdly high damage if you empty their spell books as fast as possible.

Also, whilst Sacred Immolation is indeed a great damage dealing ability, Paladins aren't particularly great at single target damage dealing (Flames of Devotion is good but limited) and sometimes you simply need to focus an enemy down.

This could be very well the case indeed! I will test spell spamming with the casters a few fights and compare.

As for a Paladin's single target DPS: Aren't 2 FoDs per encounter usually enough for single target DPS? I do not know of any marathon boss fights as you find in other RPGs here.

Rogue with firebrand is another option. In the great scheme of things, paladin are not exactly a top tier class in melee. They are inferior to anybody but casters and chanters.

That does not mean Paladin can't damages in melee. But a true melee DPS would do better (Paladins have many other strengths.). In this case the slight bonus is you would anyway pick Scion of Flames with your paladin, so it's not a bad idea.

I suspect that a great many of those people do it because that's how they feel paladins should have been in the first place, rather than the leader/support class that the devs foisted on the players. Paladins may have "many other strengths", but I suspect that those are strengths that many players would give up in a heartbeat for a more offensively oriented paladin class. Oh, some of their abilities are nice enough, but it seems to me that if you really want a support second line support character that can do these things, a priest can do them just as well, even if he has to do them a little differently. I think that a lot of players would rather that the paladin class was a class of "holy warriors" (I use that term loosely...) than what they are today. And that's why I think you see a lot of players trying to play them that way, regardless of how the class is designed.

Moreover, and this is another angle, Paladins in most RPGs or MMORPGs are in fact low-DPS, support classes. So if anything, I think PoE gives it far more offensive tools than is usually the case elsewhere. And this is the PoE Paladin's biggest appeal for me in fact.

Well.... when I think Paladin I think AD&D Holy Avenger.... which makes me think Mega Damage Dealer.

My memory is failing, and I do not remember AD & D Holy Avenger - though I played AD & D - as well as its offshoot PC games. But I just do not recall any truly DPS-oriented Paladin class in PC games a least.

Agree I always have one single target damage dealer.  Usually a Fighter or a Rogue as they can both achieve extremely high ACC values against hard targets.  Riposte rogues and DW Fighters have done the best job for me.

Hmm, so Fighters do significantly more single-target DPS than Paladins? Where is the extra damage coming from? Weapon Specialization, and I guess faster swings from Armored Grace?

This could be very well the case indeed! I will test spell spamming with the casters a few fights and compare.

As for a Paladin's single target DPS: Aren't 2 FoDs per encounter usually enough for single target DPS? I do not know of any marathon boss fights as you find in other RPGs here.

My memory is failing, and I do not remember AD & D Holy Avenger - though I played AD & D - as well as its offshoot PC games. But I just do not recall any truly DPS-oriented Paladin class in PC games a least.

Agree I always have one single target damage dealer. Usually a Fighter or a Rogue as they can both achieve extremely high ACC values against hard targets. Riposte rogues and DW Fighters have done the best job for me.

Hmm, so Fighters do significantly more single-target DPS than Paladins? Where is the extra damage coming from? Weapon Specialization, and I guess faster swings from Armored Grace?

Ultima. Wizardry Series (Lord). Holy avenger is the ultimate weapon vs evil in AD&D. Once a Pally finds one he becomes a killing machine. BG2 had Carsomyr, IWD 2 had one as well. In AD&D all warriors types are the DPS producers as they are the only ones with multiple attacks. Rolemaster has a more rounded Paladin like in PoE. We need a Rolemaster CRPG.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

• 5 months later...

I know this post is old, but gotta say with white march 2 and deadfire pack, dps/tank hybrid paladin is the shizznazz.  Get Royal deadfire belt (+3str, +3 dex, +2 int PLUS 3 FREAKING CASTS OF FIREBRAND!), and late game get ryona's breastplate (triumph of the crusade as soon as endurance drops below 50% once per encounter)... Jesus.

I go kind wayfarer human

str 18 (21 belt)

con 8 (10 gear)

dex 13 (16 belt)

per 16 (18 gear)

int 8 (10 belt)

res 16 (20 gauntlets)

basically wade in. when **** hits the fan, crusade procs.  Toss firebrand out.  FoD and heal with each kill.  Mean while 15% chance to proc vigorous def everytime i get hit or crit. 

By the end of the game My 2handed paladin had higher defenses then eder in all except deflection... and eder was using sword and board style.

only thing im undecided on is tidefall vs redeemer.  Divine mark and additional revival and destroy vessel, vs bleed and endurance regen and enchantability.

In terms of dps Tidefall is superior (with lash and durgan steel vastly superior), but against vessels nothing is better than the Redeemer. By the way: Abjuration also triggers Strange Mercy/Triumph of the Crusaders.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In terms of dps Tidefall is superior (with lash and durgan steel vastly superior), but against vessels nothing is better than the Redeemer. By the way: Abjuration also triggers Strange Mercy/Triumph of the Crusaders.

Thats what i gathered... Didnt know about the abjuration thing.  I am a little bummed though.  I put corrosive lash on tidefall instead of flame lash.  Not a bad choice per say, but scion of flames fits so well with paladin that im bummed i didnt stick with the plan.  I havent got durgan steel yet, but im excited to see how well tidefall does with 16 dex and fast recovery.  Wish like hell they let paladins get armored grace.  Looking forward to making a Paladin/fighter in deadfire.

I am a little bummed though.  I put corrosive lash on tidefall instead of flame lash.  Not a bad choice per say, but scion of flames fits so well with paladin that im bummed i didnt stick with the plan.

If you're not opposed to it, use the console to give yourself a new Tidefall to enchant the way you want (drop the old one in some out of the way container you're never going to check) and you've basically fixed the problem.