Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear RELEASED

Oh my, it seems like a missed one hell of a drama with this game; at least judging by the comments in this thread.

The developers seems to have the mental capacity of children, the game bugged like no other, it is written poorly, characters are injected for superficial reasons, and GamerGate is the boogieman used for anyone critizing it.

Oh well, it seems like a dodged a bullet with this one.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh my, it seems like a missed one hell of a drama with this game; at least judging by the comments in this thread.

The developers seems to have the mental capacity of children, the game bugged like no other, it is written poorly, characters are injected for superficial reasons, and GamerGate is the boogieman used for anyone critizing it.

GamerGate a boogieman? They've already released a mod that removes all mention of them being transgender, describing it as a "correction". Totally not a transphobic movement, though. And totally against politically-motivated censorship of video games, of course.

Man, this whole thread is a cesspool. This debacle makes me ashamed to be associated with video games.

GamerGate a boogieman? They've already released a mod that removes all mention of them being transgender, describing it as a "correction". Totally not a transphobic movement, though. And totally against politically-motivated censorship of video games, of course.

Man, this whole thread is a cesspool. This debacle makes me ashamed to be associated with video games.

lol

Case in point.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

SJW Nazi Alert! SJW Nazi Alert!

SJW nazis who pretend to 'like' video games when they actually don't make me ashamed to be human.  Just like Hitler did.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm angry too. I mean charging $20 for a half-assed expansion that doesn't even work with popular mods is cool because Lord Market says so, but people being idiots on the internet is intolerable. It makes me ashamed to have been actively supporting an industry that screws over workers again and again to the degree I will post a very strongly worded post on my Tumblr account about the problematic nature of internet etiquette.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Here is the thing though, how do you know that this modder has anything to do with GamerGate? I´m firmly against what they did, and i don´t mean the trans char, but i see no reason to identify with any group for that matter. I´m not even sure what GamerGate even stands for now. Seems more like a spit into the face of Beamdog for them forcing their agenda into the game and badly written tokenism. Reading his description, it seems like he is just sick of it.

Also, there are a lot mods for BG1+2 that add party companions for all sexual flavours, which should show that this isn´t really about sexism. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

SJW Nazi Alert! SJW Nazi Alert!

SJW nazis who pretend to 'like' video games when they actually don't make me ashamed to be human.  Just like Hitler did.

ok

Here is the thing though, how do you know that this modder has anything to do with GamerGate? I´m firmly against what they did, and i don´t mean the trans char, but i see no reason to identify with any group for that matter. I´m not even sure what GamerGate even stands for now. Seems more like a spit into the face of Beamdog for them forcing their agenda into the game and badly written tokenism. Reading his description, it seems like he is just sick of it.

Also, there are a lot mods for BG1+2 that add party companions for all sexual flavours, which should show that this isn´t really about sexism. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Because the other thing the mod does is remove a snipe at GamerGate by Minsc. Gosh, these anti-SJW's (for that is what they are - people who have defined themselves entirely by their opposition to "political correctness", a.k.a. trying to be nice to people) are so easily offended.

RUnFCKT.jpg

Not transphobic, got it. Good to see that the moderation team is on the ball, btw.

Edited by hamskii
  • Like 1

PC isn't about 'being nice'. it is about power, control, and slavery. It is what nazis do.

Then again, SJW Nazis always whine about  labelinge ntire groups of people but have labeled entir egroups of people as racist sexist rapist monsters. btw, As a footnote, I have never raped or murdered anyone. And, if I'm 'sexist', I'm  prejudiced against males because I am attracted to women only women and find ALL men ugly. LMAO

BTW, People like you who preach 'niceness' when you spout hatefulness are HILARIOUS. And, fake.

As to game. It is made by Beamdog.  I have never bought any of their crappy games. I ain't gonna start now.

I have no issue with  stories that include minorities. Some of my favorite tv shows/movies/books include them. But, they tend to be well written and come acorss as 'real'. But, I'm not racist liek the people who prefer stuff about people that are just like him. i'm not black. I've never been slave but I have no issue reading books about black slaves and the torubles they had to grow through. And, better, I can relate to them on a human level becuase unlike SJW nazis I don't label an entire race or gender as rapist murdeoru monsters thata re 'worse than ISIS'. R00fles! I also don't attack, bully, or intimidate women into getting fired, quitting, or commiting suciide b/c they have a different opinion. But, SJW Nazis are the nice ones? HJAHAHAHA!

That is key.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 2

Meh, people insulted by Minsc's line are certainly overly sensitive snowflakes and massive hypocrites if they have ever accused SJWs of being over sensitive. I could understand it if that line had been given to someone like Montaron (or more pertinently, Eldoth) but while Minsc is deeply annoying and brian damaged he's also, essentially, good and decent.

Is he though? if you don't go rescue his Beloved right away he doens't just leave the party and find a group who will help he instead proceeeds to try to commit mass murder. But, yeah, he is 'essentially good and decent'. LMAO

Edited by Volourn

Man, this whole thread is a cesspool.

I'd say "don't let the door hit your ass on your way out", but this isn't my first rodeo and I know we won't be so lucky.

This debacle makes me ashamed to be associated with video games.

Yeah, you and me both pal.

EDIT: you had to wait until the second post in this thread to yell for censorship? Tsk, tsk. Losing faculties?

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So you found a mod, guessed the intentions of the author, and then made a huge generalization? Here, check out this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/comments/4dnn8u/beamdog_statement_on_siege_of_dragonspear/ Beamdog just announced they're removing the Minsc line and expanding trans character. Count how many people are upset by that and want character removed. 

• Like 2

I do not mind some tongue in cheek stuff like Edwina, but going into this whole transgenderism, which was NOWHERE mentioned in the lore before. There is multitude of various shapeshifters, transmutation magic, even classic belt of opposite sex, but the moment it goes beyond light and into political action, the same moment it deserves harsh criticism.

If you want to be so SJtarded then create a new IP in a new setting and call i whatever you want, just get this out of the well established lore and game title.

• Like 1

I'm angry too. I mean charging $20 for a half-assed expansion that doesn't even work with popular mods is cool because Lord Market says so, but people being idiots on the internet is intolerable. It makes me ashamed to have been actively supporting an industry that screws over workers again and again to the degree I will post a very strongly worded post on my Tumblr account about the problematic nature of internet etiquette.

Wait. You expected your mods to just "work"?

Apparently you're new to how modding in BG works.

Most if not all of those mods are going to have to be updated by the modders to work with Siege of Dragonspear. This is no different than what happened with the Enhanced Edition releases.

EDIT - Oh, and good luck with that strongly worded post. :p

Edited by Marceror

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

As far as the transgender character goes, my outlook is that given this character shares a fiction with the likes of Elminster, such a thing isn't too hard to believe (and the writer would have a hell of a time to make a character as wretched even with concerted effort on top of it).

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I don't mind the inclusion of a transgender person, but I'm looking forward to the rewritten version of that person that Beamdog is going to do.

Also looking forward to a Minsc who isn't political.

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

"Is he though? if you don't go rescue his Beloved right away he doens't just leave the party and find a group who will help he instead proceeeds to try to commit mass murder. But, yeah, he is 'essentially good and decent'. LMAO"

I wouldn't know about Minsc attacking everyone, I don't string the mentally disabled along with promises, then renege because I can't be bothered, then complain when he tries to split my head in twain when it becomes obvious I've just been using him while the woman he's sworn to protect gets eaten by Gnolls. Thus he's never attacked me. Did you string the poor brian damaged fool along, Volo? That's not very nice, now is it.

Indeed, lying to the brian damaged to gain an advantage sounds like something an evil nazi would do, and purging the Sword Coast of those who would take advantage of the intellectually handicapped sounds like something that should be applauded as an appropriately anti NSDAP measure. Or in other words: Irony, thy name is :dishonourblade:

Wait. You expected your mods to just "work"?

They do in the originals. Which I already own so I wouldn't have to fork over $20 for(+ the BGEE if I didn't already have it).

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Dear hamskii, have you even bothered to read some threads on BD forums made by real Transgender people how they feel about such lame inclusion of this character? Or are you to busy to hate on everyone who has the "wrong" (ergo different than yours) oppinion?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Dear hamskii, have you even bothered to read some threads on BD forums made by real Transgender people how they feel about such lame inclusion of this character? Or are you to busy to hate on everyone who has the "wrong" (ergo different than yours) oppinion?

Yeah, I have. If those people think the character is too shallow, then I won't disagree, but I will disagree that the character "shoves it in your face" or anything like that. It comes up in a very organic way - you can ask about their name, they mention their old name proved to be unsuitable, and you can ask them about that. I also have to disagree with the assertion that just because a transgender character exists in the game's universe, that transphobia also need exist in the game's universe. Being trans doesn't necessarily have to be a part of a character's internal conflict; it's also fine to have a character for whom that has all happened in their past and they are now comfortable with themselves.

Right, I'm sure you, the maker of this video, and everyone in this thread who replied to it were always just concerned about a fairer representation of trans people in the game! Why could I not see that?! Killing the character immediately after they realise that they're trans, is that to highlight that trans people are far more likely to be murdered in real life, or that the trans panic defense has only been outlawed in one U.S. state (see also: Firedorn)?!

Well, not every trans person has the same opinion on this topic either you know..

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/269735/Opinion_The_Siege_of_Dragonspear_drama_and_the_video_game_community.php

Well, not every trans person has the same opinion on this topic either you know..

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/269735/Opinion_The_Siege_of_Dragonspear_drama_and_the_video_game_community.php

Well, then why it is an outrageous surprise, that non-trans people might have different oppinions about this matter as well?

*mind blown*

@hamskii, you might disagree with that, but that is your own oppinion. From what I have seen so far, it is the worst introduction of "nonstandard" character which I have ever experienced in any media. The writing of this character is on par with Vintage B Porn movies from 60-ties and not something what I demand from quality piece of art.

I take also the opportunity to point as few others have before, to the depiction of Renly Baratheon in Game of Thrones... That is just one example, how I expect the depiction of any (and not only LGBT) characters in any artistic media...

If your writers are unable to create character at least half that deep, you should hire new writer and not blame your customers for being ****...

Edited by Mamoulian War