Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear RELEASED

I'm slightly disappointed.

1. I tracked down where I bought BG:EE (super detective skills) and it was directly from Beamdog

2. I go to the Beamdog site and it boasts that their version is DRM free. Huzzah!

3. I log in and click download but it's just a small installer. Hmm

4. I launch the installer and I have to log in (again) for it to download and install the game. Opposite of huzzah

I'm sure 99% of people would have no issue with this but it's nice to be in the top 1% for something. I was hoping to be able to just download the install files for the game then do with them what I please like that other place that sells actual DRM free games

Not a serious issue but was a slight disappointment... I mean I still bought SOD from them because I didn't want to buy the first game for a second time (4th really including nonEE) and GOG doesn't sodding have SOD yet so that's pretty soddy

Free games updated 3/4/21

Baldur's Gate is bad game, Baldur's Gate 2 a bit better, but  terrible anyway. Boring battles, bad  gameplay and terrible visual part characterise these games. Actually these games even don't have roleplay (in difference with Quest for Glory or Dominions 4 for example) and can't be named as RPG. I really wondered who do want moar such crap, who are target auditory of "Siege of Dragonspear"?

Baldur's Gate is bad game, Baldur's Gate 2 a bit better, but  terrible anyway. Boring battles, bad  gameplay and terrible visual part characterise these games. Actually these games even don't have roleplay (in difference with Quest for Glory or Dominions 4 for example) and can't be named as RPG. I really wondered who do want moar such crap, who are target auditory of "Siege of Dragonspear"?

Me? And the rest of the nuts that think that BG2 is the holy grail of rpgs. To each their own i suppose, but I think there are many that don't share your opinion.

• Like 1

BG1/2 are pretty much what defined RPG's, it's true they didn't age too well (mostly due to the outdated D&D ruleset they use) but they were mindbreaking good when they came out and are still fun today if you can look past the old school stuff.

• Like 1

Has there been any performance change compared to Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 EE?

I played those just fine on the only laptop available for me at home.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I tried playing BG1 around the early 00s. Having already played the sequel and also IWD2 beforehand, I'd have to agree that it was, by that point, a bad game. Unplayable, it just hurt my brain.

Now obviously that can be considered an unfair assessment due to its age even then, but the point I suppose is that it doesn't seem a game ever worth going back to. Bear in mind that at that point I quite liked the Infinity Engine and would have welcomed a new game along similar lines. Nowadays my opinion now that it and its derivatives suck, so my opinion of BG1 wouldn't have gotten any kinder in the decade or so since.

I don't want to replay BG2 because I fear I might hate it. At the time I thought it was a great game, and while time has dulled that feeling somewhat, I don't want to ruin it. Nothing personal against Beamdog, but as a result, I wouldn't even consider buying SoD, even if it were free.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Has there been any performance change compared to Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 EE?

I played those just fine on the only laptop available for me at home.

I would imagine so, if they can now include hundreds of NPCs on the screen, supposedly, without issue. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the performance improvements.

Beamdog has apparently rewritten the majority of the Infinity Engine across their 4 IE (re)releases over the last 4 - 5 years.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

I am nearly at end of BG1 with one of my play through so maybe i will pick this up...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I tried playing BG1 around the early 00s. Having already played the sequel and also IWD2 beforehand, I'd have to agree that it was, by that point, a bad game. Unplayable, it just hurt my brain.

Now obviously that can be considered an unfair assessment due to its age even then, but the point I suppose is that it doesn't seem a game ever worth going back to. 

^this is exactly what happened to me, BG1 was the last of the IE games I tried, and it seemed just terrible after PST, BG2 and IWD. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Now obviously that can be considered an unfair assessment due to its age even then, but the point I suppose is that it doesn't seem a game ever worth going back to. 

^this is exactly what happened to me, BG1 was the last of the IE games I tried, and it seemed just terrible after PST, BG2 and IWD. 

That's interesting. When I first played Baldur's Gate, very shortly after it was released, the experience was a bit different for me.

I'm pretty sure I heard choirs of angels singing, and the heavens were opened (really), telling me that it was my sacred duty to skip basically all of my classes for the next week so that someone could get to the bottom of why my foster father had been so brutally murdered. I'm pretty sure I also skipped a few showers, meals, and plenty of sleep, just for good measure.

Really, I can still almost feel the trembling delight that overwhelmed by body with every moment I played that game. Up until that moment, I had no idea that so wondrous an experience could be had with mouse and keyboard. I was utterly baffled that my roommate at the time -- who had actually purchased the game rather than me -- was so disinterested with his purchase that he decided to gift it to me without a second thought. I naïvely said I'd check it out, completely unaware of the wonderment I was about to experience. Yep, Baldur's Gate was a game changer for me.

• Like 5

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

That's interesting. When I first played Baldur's Gate, very shortly after it was released, the experience was a bit different for me.

I'm pretty sure I heard choirs of angels singing, and the heavens were opened (really), telling me that it was my sacred duty to skip basically all of my classes for the next week so that someone could get to the bottom of why my foster father had been so brutally murdered. I'm pretty sure I also skipped a few showers, meals, and plenty of sleep, just for good measure.

Really, I can still almost feel the trembling delight that overwhelmed by body with every moment I played that game. Up until that moment, I had no idea that so wondrous an experience could be had with mouse and keyboard. I was utterly baffled that my roommate at the time -- who had actually purchased the game rather than me -- was so disinterested with his purchase that he decided to gift it to me without a second thought. I naïvely said I'd check it out, completely unaware of the wonderment I was about to experience. Yep, Baldur's Gate was a game changer for me.

I must say i got very similar experience with Fallout 2 which I played before BG1. And at that time I even didnt know english at all (not that i improved that much from that time)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The only problem i had with BG1 was the journal, everything else i learned as went along( thac0, AC, doubleclass,... ) and didn't bother me much. The journal kept me from replaying it more though. 

Or maybe it was the other games. Commandos, Unreal, Starcraft  , Half Life, Fallout 2 , The neverhood, Battlezone, TOCA 2,   Age of Empires Rome, FIFA wc98 ( although we played Road to WC far more),Delta Force ( voxel powah! :D) ... wow. When did i have the time to play and finish! all that. And these are just games released in 1998, there was quite a few  older games i was playing at that time. And then 1999 happened... 

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.