I notice that "soft winds of death" is now only 2.5 endurance loss/3 sec.  used to be near 8 IIRC.

and, far more important... dragon thrashed is now 75% nerfed!!!

why the nerf?

early game, it was the only real aoe damage chanters had available to them, and even at its previous strength, it was far from OP, and dragon was the mainstay of chanters, and really the only reason to even pick one.

now... it's nothing more than a placeholder.

any other changes that people have noticed? 

my desire to do a replay with a group of 4 chanters just lost a lot of appeal.

edit:

*facepalm*

I get it now... they are listing the damage per 3 sec instead of per 14.  the damage hasn't changed, it is just listed in more accurate fashion as what happens "per tick" now.

Edited by Ichthyic

They weren't nerfed, they only made the info into usefull info.

Before it told you how much damage it does in the normal duration=totally worthless if you look closely (tried a bit), now it tells you how much it does per damage tick, so no real change only better information.

Edited by Reent
  • Like 1

They weren't nerfed, they only made the info into usefull info.

Before it told you how much damage it does in the normal duration=totally worthless if you look closely (tried a bit), now it tells you how much it does per damage tick, so no real change only better information.

yeah, I just figured it out after going into combat.

edited for facepalm.

:)

• Like 1

I really like the faster chants. Kana gets invocations off much faster now and is much more of a caster even without using only early chants. Using my normal high level chants he gets a few invocations off in a fight, in tough fights it is really noticeable and appreciated.

Brisk Recitation pushed chanter over the edge, now they are monsters that can carry a party - every clutch fight the chanter can carry... withdraw on the chanter is a confirmed (bull****) interaction, so you can use the chanter as a damage aura in the middle of everything - not getting CCd nor damaged but killing everything under boss level, against strong enemies they can simply summon stuff en masse, bodies that block make the game much easier - i love chanters now, they can carry the early game, the midgame and the lategame, they have a really nice power curve... now, if they only balanced the chants and invocations a bit :(

Withdraw working with chants is a bit weird - because Withdraw also should stun the ally (at least they get stun symbol on top of their portrait). And normally stunned chanters don't chant. I don't know why a withdrawn chanter is an exception.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Its no bug!

I posted it in the technical support forum - as a bugreport

the answer?

Heya Reent,

This interaction is known internally (and we have written several bug reports on it), but I believe we've decided to consider it working as intended (at least for now). So enjoy the amazing synergy of chanting while withdrawn =)

Thanks for being active on the forums!

I asked to reconsider - i hope they do... however for now thats the official answer -.-

Brisk Recitation pushed chanter over the edge, now they are monsters that can carry a party - every clutch fight the chanter can carry... withdraw on the chanter is a confirmed (bull****) interaction, so you can use the chanter as a damage aura in the middle of everything

Btw what chant order do you use?

In my last playthrough I have struggled with squeezing Dragon-thrashed in...

I had:

- Aefyllath (+25% damage to attacks and spells, which also generates focus; and that was huge; as I also had 2 ciphers to benefit from it)

- followed by Sure-Handed (due to 4 ranged characters; zero-recovery with Penetrating Shot is good)

- and finnaly Dragon-Thrashed

The thing is... I rarely if ever, saw Dragon-Thrashed being applied. Everyone was either already dead, or it was a dragon and chant probably missed him. Tbh I have a feeling, that I have wasted some of chanter's potential here.

Edited by MaxQuest

I am not playing group chanter and if i do? I simply push all the work on the chanter - so i know the chanter can do the hard work of killing the enemies...

If you use strong groups the Chanter doesnt need to deal damage.

If i play in a group, my chanter gets champions boon, uses 1h and no shield (the +12 acc applies to dragon chant) and simply stands in the middle of every enemy chanting dragon chant - the priest has the hard task of keeping the chanter not CCd, everyone else can simply play body block, its enough to kill the enemies :D

In a full party where every character is used to the full potential the chanter doesnt need to deal damage (maybe a white worms early on) and doesnt need to summon stuff to keep a dragon occupied - so while he could do it, its not needed - the support chants are enough then.

If you use strong groups the Chanter doesnt need to deal damage. [...]

so while he could do it, its not needed - the support chants are enough then.

Yeah.

It's quite fascinating how Kana dealt only 5.5% of party's total damage, with his auto-attacking and invocations. But when I have factored Aefyllath and Sure-Handed into the damage bonus the party has received,.. he suddenly has jumped to the second place in terms of damage dealt.

Party stats.

P.S. Still being torn between max-might and dump-might chanter for the next run...

Edited by MaxQuest

Chanters are... not good with the Party stats...

PS, i cant access your party stats :D

pq6mvies.jpg

Those are the stats my naked solo chanter had before killing thaos (he finished wm1+2 main story) - 34k damage dealt... jeah, right! Chants dont count, summons dont count...

A chanter can deal around 80 damage within 10 secs for every enemy in range of dragon chant - if he keeps chanting it he can deal more, lvl 13 he would deal around 140 damage within 10 secs (3 times dragon chant, so 3 ticks, the first chant would tick for about 3 additional times, the 2nd one for 1 time, so 3+3+1=7 ticks) and would still have 100 damage left...so he can deal with most groups alone within 10-20 secs (something like ogres have more endurance but you deal more damage because of the low DR), maybe 30 secs...

And the full damage doesnt count towards your stats!

So the chanter can carry a fight, however 20 secs are still a long time in pillars... but if you want to, you can use chanter as the only damage dealer and still finish fights reasonbly fast (eyeless take longer because of the burn immunity... dragons would be a summoners job)

this is really strange , does paladin auras continue working too after u withdraw them ?

Yes, the auras always work for paladins even while petrified. The nice thing about withdraw is it also prevents the paladin from taking damage from Sacred Immolation.

Edited by Kaylon

ah - but thats wrong! Have you ever tried to use withdraw against Druids? They love to use RAW damage DoTs, it killed my withdrawn characters many times -.-

And i am sure there are other things that get through, i was loosing endurance more than once even without raw damage DoTs on me...

PS, i cant access your party stats :D

Fixed it :)Stats.

Those are the stats my naked solo chanter had before killing thaos (he finished wm1+2 main story) - 34k damage dealt... jeah, right! Chants dont count, summons dont count...

Chant's not adding to total damage explains why my Kana had only 37949k 37949 damage dealt...

ah - but thats wrong! Have you ever tried to use withdraw against Druids? They love to use RAW damage DoTs, it killed my withdrawn characters many times -.-

You can do a similar thing :)

Cast disintegrate on an enemy, and then Stasis Shell him. They will still get damaged. Works on everyone (except dragons)

Edited by MaxQuest

almost 38kk damage :D nice one :p

I played group until someplace in act 2 a few times since i started again, always with MC chanter... the chanter was through the roof with the damage done, i used white worms all the time... i spammed all damage abilities the others had, they didnt come close.

However the others didnt have optimised items (neither did the chanter, but chanters dont need it) as i see it, chanters can outdamage every other class - but all the damage is AOE, so they dont start with kills... and thats a problem. Fights get easier the faster you kill primary targets... so despite dealing more damage with dragon chant, the fight is much easier if you simply use support chants and kill primary targets.

Brisk Recitation pushed chanter over the edge, now they are monsters that can carry a party - every clutch fight the chanter can carry... withdraw on the chanter is a confirmed (bull****) interaction, so you can use the chanter as a damage aura in the middle of everything

In my last playthrough I have struggled with squeezing Dragon-thrashed in...

I had:

- Aefyllath (+25% damage to attacks and spells, which also generates focus; and that was huge; as I also had 2 ciphers to benefit from it)

- followed by Sure-Handed (due to 4 ranged characters; zero-recovery with Penetrating Shot is good)

- and finnaly Dragon-Thrashed

The thing is... I rarely if ever, saw Dragon-Thrashed being applied. Everyone was either already dead, or it was a dragon and chant probably missed him. Tbh I have a feeling, that I have wasted some of chanter's potential here.

With a melee heavy group I like to start the chants with:

Chant - Burn in Hell MoFo

1.) The fire lash +25% - everyone gets the lash on the alpha strike

2.) The frighten enemy - short length fits inside the linger of the fire lash, debuffs enemy accuracy a little

3.) repeat the fire lash - the lingers overlap so it never goes away

4.) Dragon Thrash - the fire lash runs out for a second or two, helps to finish off any badly wounded enemies

I tend to just use this for like 90% of the fights. Against Dragons I'd make up one with the Beast damage as the base. Against fire immune or frighten immune I'd replace.

For invocations I use the corpse explosion if I have a big pile, the paralyze, once in a while the charm, and the two cold damage foe only ones with secrets of rime. I like the resurrect chant as an insurance policy, maybe the ogres or the weapon summon.

I also try and take lots of cross class with Kana - have weapon and shield as a base with some weapon focus and then get the druid cross class deflection debuff, the cross class paladin accuracy aura, secrets of rime for more cold damage, the two endurance regen auras and Veterans recovery. With the two regen chants and Veteran's Recovery Kana has a lot of regen. He doesn't have to do a lot of damage with weapons, he just needs to stay vertical and buff the team and then blast out invocations that either paralyze a huge cone or blast out big ice spells that are also foe only.

i see that everyone else is playing a completely different chanter style than i do... i really wanna know how a full damage chanter compares damagewise... damn, gonna go make a thread in the technical support forum...

*snip*

With a melee heavy group I like to start the chants with:

Chant - Burn in Hell MoFo

1.) The fire lash +25% - everyone gets the lash on the alpha strike

2.) The frighten enemy - short length fits inside the linger of the fire lash, debuffs enemy accuracy a little

3.) repeat the fire lash - the lingers overlap so it never goes away

4.) Dragon Thrash - the fire lash runs out for a second or two, helps to finish off any badly wounded enemies

I tend to just use this for like 90% of the fights. Against Dragons I'd make up one with the Beast damage as the base. Against fire immune or frighten immune I'd replace.

For invocations I use the corpse explosion if I have a big pile, the paralyze, once in a while the charm, and the two cold damage foe only ones with secrets of rime. I like the resurrect chant as an insurance policy, maybe the ogres or the weapon summon.

I also try and take lots of cross class with Kana - have weapon and shield as a base with some weapon focus and then get the druid cross class deflection debuff, the cross class paladin accuracy aura, secrets of rime for more cold damage, the two endurance regen auras and Veterans recovery. With the two regen chants and Veteran's Recovery Kana has a lot of regen. He doesn't have to do a lot of damage with weapons, he just needs to stay vertical and buff the team and then blast out invocations that either paralyze a huge cone or blast out big ice spells that are also foe only.

I use the following chant at the moment and I really, really dig it:

+10 deflection chant - every enemy will be out of range anyway, and + 10 deflection on everyone can never be a bad thing, Chanter is melee so will be in position to hit everything with:

-10% slash/pierce damage - level 1, just for quickness

Dragon Trash - with a second orso of +10 deflection still lingering

Frighten Enemy

Dragon Trash

Come, Come Soft Winds of Death

And the last one I have a question about. Because I added that 6th chant because visually, in the chant book, it looks like there's just a lot of unused space on the second chant bar while the Dragon Trash is still lingering. As if the Chanter will not start chanting the 1st chant (6th in total) until the linger on the first bar ends.

I have no idea if it actually works this way though. Does it?

I mean this, the red part, in case my explanation was bad :p

gJSPUr.jpg

Edited by Psychevore

I think you are correct in that the long linger of the top chant will keep the next chant from starting. The bottom chant is "too short" to fully fill the linger. You will have a period where the bottom chant expires and the top chant will continue to linger alone.

Maybe you can change the bottom chant with a longer one to better fill the linger?

Also you need to name them something better than "Chant 1, Chant 2, Chant 3"

Call it "Fire, Fire Death Song " or "Flaming Death March to Rautai", something cool.

• Like 1

I'm sure this has been answered but I'm not sure for 3.02 ....does Scion of Flame effect the lash and dragon thrashed chants.

Sorry just thought of another question....what summoning invocation is best?

Edited by Mocker22