Druid and Wizard spells kill own party members

I find it difficult to cast spells without knocking out own party members. If I remember right in BG spells did not affect own party. With my two tanks holding back enemies how do I use those spells that effect anyone in area of spell? What is your strategy? Thank you.

I find it difficult to cast spells without knocking out own party members. If I remember right in BG spells did not affect own party. With my two tanks holding back enemies how do I use those spells that effect anyone in area of spell? What is your strategy? Thank you.

No, most Bg spells affected party members. Some didn't, as it is the case in PoE.

Do you play PoE with Expert mode ?

If not, there should be an area indicator showing the affected zone. Red zone = friendly fire. Yellow zone (due to intelligence AoE buff) = no friendly fire.

You'll get used to it. My own spells rarely harm my party. Once your frontline is locked by your tanks, and characters stop moving, you should have no pb to aim anymore.

Edited by Elric Galad

No, most Bg spells affected party members. Some didn't, as it is the case in PoE.

Do you play PoE with Expert mode ?

If not, there should be an area indicator showing the affected zone. Red zone = friendly fire. Yellow zone (due to intelligence AoE buff) = no friendly fire.

You'll get used to it. My own spells rarely harm my party. Once your frontline is locked by your tanks, and characters stop moving, you should have no pb to aim anymore.

Also, it really helps to learn which spells affect everyone, which ones affect enemies only, and while ones affect allies only.  Frankly, this is a core requirement (IMO) of playing any spellcasting class, knowing which spells affect who.

Not sure about wizard, I rarely play one, but Druid has a number of aoe spells that don't harm friendlies.

Following on from Elric, if the indicator is all yellow then the spell in question does not touch friends at all. Also if you open the spell descriptions, there will be a note under area of effect, something like foe aoe or just aoe.

Aoe in the description means everyone including your party gets hit, foe aoe means only enemies get zapped.

Easiest way as Elric pointed out is to check the indicator though.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

they work equally well either way.

play melee, and use the fantastic buff spells and cone damage spells.

play ranged and use penetrating burst attacks and round aoe spells.

penetrating burst attacks are awesome with the right instrument.  Plus, there are spells designed for burst wizards to lob elemental damage that way as well.