NEWBIE: I almost feel like giving up - can't handle combat!

I strongly suggest NOT doing Caed Nua until after you've done all of the main and side quests in and around Gilded Vale.  I will say that it is worth heading to Caed Nua as soon as you can to grab Kana, but then turn back around and do NOT go into Caed Nua itself.  Caed Nua isn't really meant for low level parties that are just starting out.

When I first went to Caed Nua, I tried the first level and was getting my *ss kicked, so I just figured it was too soon to go to level 2.  I came back later and got through a few more levels.  I'm currently in Act 3 and have gotten through to level 7 with relative ease, so I probably should've come back a little sooner.  Based on this, I get the feeling the levels were designed to be done in spurts, not necessarily all at once.

Yeah, the idea is definitely to break it up. If you start going through the dungeon early, you may do okay for a while, but you will very quickly get outclasses. You need to be very well outfitted and at higher levels for the latter levels. This is also a reason for the main stairway, so you can return easily to deeper parts of the dungeon.

Plus, who wants to wade through 15 levels of dungeon without a break? That would be pretty grueling.

Agreed on all counts.

It's hard to discuss this without spoilers, but the 3rd level of the EP is a pretty hard break.  Dealing with the 3rd level's inhabitants is quite a challenge.  The 4th level's not particularly hard.  And the 5th isn't all that hard, except for a single encounter.

But yeah, trying to wade thru all 15 levels of the EP would be rather tedious.  And I'm honestly not sure that it would be doable, from the PoV of having a strong enough party unless one waits quite a while.

This is the hard battle I was referring in my previous posts.

I would avoid him for the moments.

At the very least, I will never face him without 6-people party.

You may try again if you want, just don't be afraid to give up.

You can also barricade in the bedroom, pull the merry men and face them on the entrance. It is half-cheese but it should work.

You don't need to fight Raedric at this point.  You can side with him against Kolsc, and accept his reward, and walk away.  And later on, when you feel up to it, come back and take him out.  Or not.  Fighting Raedric isn't particularly important to the critical storyline, but it is fun.

OK, so I killed Kolsc and sided with Raedric for the moment.  I'm back at Caed Nua! One question, how do I get to the first floor in Brighthollow?  I read that it is a resting place, etc. but I can't find a way upstairs!

[about Caed Nua]  I get the feeling the levels were designed to be done in spurts, not necessarily all at once.

you-don-t-say-foto.jpg

Congratulations on your achievement of being a complete *sshole!  Go somewhere your condescending attitude is welcome, like Linux forums.

The OP made it sound like he might be trying to do it all at once, so I was attempting to help him out.  Nevermind, why am I attempting to explain myself to someone like you...

Edited by Skirge01

This is the hard battle I was referring in my previous posts.

I would avoid him for the moments.

At the very least, I will never face him without 6-people party.

You may try again if you want, just don't be afraid to give up.

You can also barricade in the bedroom, pull the merry men and face them on the entrance. It is half-cheese but it should work.

He's not "that" bad. He's definitely the baddest thing in Act 1 though.

On my solo POTD playthrough I finished recently I wanted to rage trying it, as I'd talk to him, and as soon as the dialogue ended I died.

Finally said screw this, walked partway up the steps, blasted a fireball at one of the paladins, then pulled most of the enemies into the room before the throne room that has the fountain it, managed to do the fight wayyyyy more easily that way. I don't think he was even possible to do though legit with 1 character. Legit meaning actually partaking in the dialogue and not blasting them in the face with a fireball to make them go aggro before ever talking to them.

I get the feeling that Od Nua was meant to be split roughly as 1-5 doable at the end of Act I, 6-10 doable at the end of Act II, and 11-15 doable in Act 3, though this is only a very rough guideline. As mentioned, level 3 is very rough if you do it early on, it remains a little rough even with some levels under your belt.

• Like 1

Level 3 is ogres right? Or is that 4? The one with Xaurips had two rough fights from what I remember as well, the room with the pit, and the room with the broken sword pieces. The sword piece room being the worse  of the two in my experience despite having fewer enemies IIRC.

I've made a lot of progress, but have come unstuck with trying to kill Raedric and his merry men!  I'm Level 4 party of Aloth, Durance and Eder.

Should I give up on that for the moment?

Yeah, Raedric can be tough. At the very least I'd pick up Kana before facing him, ideally pick up the sixth companion you meet (not sure if you've got them yet so don't want to spoil, but you get them soon after passing through Caed Nua).

Also unless you feel the need for role-play reasons, agree to help him initially, then set yourself up better around his throne before talking to him again and attacking. The primary targets should be his priests and mages but make sure someone (Eder probably) tanks Raedric whilst you do this.

Level 3 is ogres right? Or is that 4? The one with Xaurips had two rough fights from what I remember as well, the room with the pit, and the room with the broken sword pieces. The sword piece room being the worse  of the two in my experience despite having fewer enemies IIRC.

Level 3 is the ogres yeah. It's the damn ogre druids that are a pain, particularly when there's more than one at once.

• 3 months later...

Dude. Do some side quests. Level 3 trying to Caed Nua lmao.

You need tanky characters in this game, balance every squishy with at least two tanky characters like a fighter.

Also, you're right about Eder, it's not obvious that he can join you at first. He is the best companion that's for sure. Personally, I'm enjoying the game more with 6 customs than I ever did with the NPCs in this game.

I know there might have been a thousand posts like this already - or maybe not - so I apologise in advance.

I started PoE a couple of days ago, and I have played this kind of game several times in the past, but I really feel like giving up already as I just cannot handle the combat at all!

I started off exploring each area, and had so much trouble with combat, that I decided to stick to the main plot, gather some characters, build up my party before tackling stuff that was too much for me.

However, I have found that I can't even do that.  I am at the Great Hall, Caed Nua with 2 Phantoms and 1 Shadow and nothing I do can get me passed this!

I have Level 3 Cipher, Priest, Wizard and Chanter and have looked at various Youtube tutorials, but still feel nothing but frustration with this combat!

Dude if your new and you only have a cipher, priest, wizard and a chanter I am surprised you even made it to caed nua. Your doing well. If you make 2 dedicated tanks with shields ( fighters or paladins) most of your problems will go away. Keep playing you will love the game.

Just turn Kana Rua into your main tank by giving him a shield and weapon & shield talent. Use the chant "Come Sweet Winds of Death" to attract foes and to give them raw damage.

Use Whisper of Treason with your cipher whenever possible. It's great to use it before the enemy reaches you - they will turn against each other.

Use Chillfog with your wizard. Cast it in front of Kana Rua who tanks enemies so that they have to stand inside the Chillfog. They will get blinded and damaged (even the charmed ones) while Kana's chant will damage them, too (not the charmed ones). Use your priest to buff - not to heal. I mean you should heal with him when things go bad but your primary focus should be buffs and debuffs. Give him Interdiction and Painful Interdiction. That way you will have a strong weakaning debuff 1/encounter which lowers fortitude and will - that is good for your cipher's Whisper of Treason (targets will) and your wizard's Chillfog (targets fortitude). Inspiring Radiance is also very good as an opener to give your whole party + 10 ACC for the initial strike. This game is all about stacking ACC and debuffing enemies defenses as well as disabling them. If you can do that you will always win (against foes that are roughly your level). Your MIG doesn't matter if you can't hit the enemy. Your defenses don't have to be superhigh if the enemy can't hit you because he's debuffed and/or disabled. THe game doesn't work so well if you only run into the fight and start hitting.

With those tactics the game should be pretty easy with your gang - even on PotD. I'm playing a solo barb with 3 RES and 2 DEX on PoTD atm and I am in Caed Nua right now. If I can do it you can succeed, too. :)

We also have a guy here who completed the game as a lvl 1 ranger on PoTD. He just used the right tactics. So just try a bit more, you will succed at last.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods