Character levels - more would be better.

I love this game and find myself playing it every so often. Only to stop somewhere close to the end, whenever I hit the level cap. It may sound silly, but levelling up characters is one of my chief joys in RPG's. Hitting a level cap is really quite frustrating and I rather fail to see the point: why not allow us to simply level up? Sure, you can rebuild your character for some gold, but it is not quite the same thing.

They'd have to design new abilities, talents, etc. beyond Level 16. 

Or they could just let you gain HP, accuracy, etc., but it would break the game making you supermen.

^Or just not be a completionist, attempting to do EVERY single task and quest.  And you'll have no problems.

So I just need to refrain from enjoying the game to its fullest? That makes no sense. The way I see things, there is a mismatch between what you can and how many levels you can get. I appreciate the problem where you become superman, but that is already a bit of an issue. High level content in WM I & II is on such a different level from what happens in the main game that you actually need to plan very carefully what to do in order not to spoil the game for yourself. I appreciate this entails more work for the devs, but I do believe it is something that deserves a bit of attention. 

• Like 1

Yep, in my opinion, XP should have been cut drastically. Like divided by 3 or 4, with a lvl cap around 10/11 (rather than 16), achievable only by completionists. Now, you could argue that there would be no need for a level cap anymore. And then, there would have been the sequel, PoE 2. BG was successful with a level cap around 7 after all (which is really not much), making BG2 even more enjoyable.

* should have..

And they did, but not enough I agree. You get option to level scale when you reach Elmshore.

Actually thought twice before I opted for high level content. WM high level content was brutal at first. Elmshore... Not so much. Doesn't help of course I never really liked Elmshore to begin with. Somehow just doesn't seem as well written as the earlier bits of the game. (I do like your location description, by the way!)

Scaling is useless after you have been thru WM and WM2. You are godlike by then. IWD was the same way with HoW. Once you run thru the expansion the rest is gravy. They should of followed the SoA/ToB approach. That was bad@ss.

Edited by Blades of Vanatar

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Not in PoE, there's really nothing to have beyond existing levelcap, and if there was, it would be just dumb scaling making you overpowered. If game had something like presige class system for example, than it would make sense, otherwise nope.

Endgame was beatable by lvl 10. Adding leveling to 16 without greatly increasing endgame content is kind of pointless... Adding the expansions after Thaos and making the new content to auto play at the higher scaling levels would of made more sense. Of course it's easy of me to state that after the fact. Oh well... Regardless it's still a top ten all time RPG in my book. Just hoping for POE 2 now.

^Or just not be a completionist, attempting to do EVERY single task and quest.  And you'll have no problems.

So I just need to refrain from enjoying the game to its fullest? That makes no sense. The way I see things, there is a mismatch between what you can and how many levels you can get. I appreciate the problem where you become superman, but that is already a bit of an issue. High level content in WM I & II is on such a different level from what happens in the main game that you actually need to plan very carefully what to do in order not to spoil the game for yourself. I appreciate this entails more work for the devs, but I do believe it is something that deserves a bit of attention. 

Maybe some people don't agree with your belief that XP needs to be cut back.  Ever consider that?

Some people (supposedly) don't play every single possible quest and task.  If XP was scaled back to satisfy the completionist, the players who were NOT completionists would get boned.

• Like 1

The added levels killed the end game. The Thaos fight is the final ultimate encounter and is now pathetically easy. They should of upgraded that fight with the expansions/patches.

should have.

I think that any of the weapons with insta-kill abilities simply make the game too easy, possibly more so than being overlevelled.

Endgame was beatable by lvl 10. Adding leveling to 16 without greatly increasing endgame content is kind of pointless... Adding the expansions after Thaos and making the new content to auto play at the higher scaling levels would of made more sense. Of course it's easy of me to state that after the fact. Oh well... Regardless it's still a top ten all time RPG in my book. Just hoping for POE 2 now.

The added levels killed the end game. The Thaos fight is the final ultimate encounter and is now pathetically easy. They should of upgraded that fight with the expansions/patches.

should have.

I think that any of the weapons with insta-kill abilities simply make the game too easy, possibly more so than being overlevelled.

Bosses should just be immune unless it makes a lot of since like aby's hammer.

Proper? LMAO! The Internet ain't no place for proper nothing!

One might surmise that it's not just the internet but the entire world that is no place for anything proper according to most of the last couple of generations to arrive on the planet. Can't help but find that a bit sad...

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Proper? LMAO! The Internet ain't no place for proper nothing!

One might surmise that it's not just the internet but the entire world that is no place for anything proper according to most of the last couple of generations to arrive on the planet. Can't help but find that a bit sad...

On a serious note I believe that to be true. It is sad. Trying to get my 8 yr old to NOT eat like an Ogre is frustrating....

Back on topic!

There are already too many levels in PoE, on top of already leveling too fast.

PoE's required XP for level progression is no small fundamental design flaw.

It's pretty much a standard formula.

But if you know any better then please share. I'm on a quest to find a perfect XP formula and i'd like to learn.

Vancian =/= per rest.