You only have 24 hours left to live...

Heijoushin

Just read the first book of a manga series called ikigami. The plot is this: In future Japan, everyone is injected with a special vaccine when they enter elementary school. Somewhere around the age of 20, 1 in 1000 people who received this vaccine will die. The idea is that if the threat of potential death is hanging over you, you'll appreciate your life more (many philosophies agree with this idea, YOLO) For those 1 in 1000, a slip of paper is delivered to them 24 hours before they die (this paper is called an ikigami 逝き紙). Thus, they have a final 24 hours to live. If they commit any crimes during that time, their remaining family will be penalized.

Sorry for the long-winded intro. Here's the point of this thread: You get your ikigami, you have 24 hours left to live. What would you do with it?

• Like 1

For cereal though. I've actually given this general scenario thought on a number of occasions, as I've already had a couple of brushes with death and know well how fragile life is. As well as the fact that while a 24 hour time limit is unlikely, many people find themselves with months, weeks, or even days left to live (I've known such people).

What I'd do depends on a number of factors, ie: where exactly I am, what the weather's like, who's around, how I'm like to die. In the end though, what I'd do is more than likely not for public consumption. :)

• Like 1

Kill you.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd write three short stories, one for each of my kids and one for my wife.  Let's make an agenda, say I find out at midnight and I have until midnight.

12 AM to 6 AM - Write

6 - 8 AM - Make waffles for my family and enjoy the morning with them

8 - 10 AM - Go with my wife to a awesome spa and get a massage and enjoy the facilities.

10 - 11 AM - Wife time #1

11 - 12 PM - take the RV and set up with family and friends outside a hockey rink.

12 - 2 PM - Play hockey

2 - 4 PM - BBQ with friends and family

4 - 5 PM - Wife time #2

5 - 8 PM - Fancy dinner with wife and kids, with some fantastic beers to sample.

8 - 10 PM - Spend time with kids, just getting ready for bed telling stories.

10 - 11 PM - Wife time #3

11 - 12 PM - I'll probably be pretty tired at this point, maybe I'll finish up some writing, maybe fall asleep next to my wife.  It would be nice to be asleep when it happens.

• Like 2

I guess I wouldn't show up to work and I probably drink....I seriously don't get what's so special about either living or dying so I don't mind it either way.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, I'm not at all familiar with the source material Heijo is referring to. But for my last 24 hours.... let's see... revenge on enemies, drunken romp with hookers... nah none of those things. I'd pack a lunch, a book and walk down Cold Creek to the Hatchee river and just fish, read, swim with the dogs and watch the river roll by. I've been married twice, traveled around the world and 30 states in the US and I've never been anywhere where I felt happier or more at peace than there. If my bones are ever found there then I'd want the folks who found them to know I died happy. 

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'd have to agree with GD. I'm similar with traveling around the world, happy with what I have and accomplished, financially secure and don't have to worry about money, been with my partner for the last 8 years and I've lived a fulfilling life up to this point imo. I'd have an easy last day.

• Like 3

"If they commit any crimes during that time, their remaining family will be penalized."

Sound stupid. No logic at all.

Actually very logical old fruit. If you only have a day left, you don't care about the consequences. So in your heart of hearts, you might be saying "I'll use my last day to get revenge or take what I want by force", right? Thus the rule for punishing the family exists, to curb such crimes.

Anyway, as others have stated, 24 hours just isn't long enough to do anything major. I couldn't even fly back to my country. The best you can really do is go to your favorite (nearby) place and spend time with loved ones.

Edited by Heijoushin

"If they commit any crimes during that time, their remaining family will be penalized."

Sound stupid. No logic at all.

Actually very logical old fruit. If you only have a day left, you don't care about the consequences. So in your heart of hearts, you might be saying "I'll use my last day to get revenge or take what I want by force", right?

Anyway, as others have stated, 24 hours just isn't long enough to do anything major. I couldn't even fly back to my country. The best you can really do is go to your favorite (nearby) place and spend time with loved ones.

Of course it also means that if your remaining family was all in one area, you could kill them all without an issue as there would be no one left to punish (or if you can't kill them all but don't like them, you wouldn't care what happens to them so could do whatever crimes you want).  In essence the punishment hinges on the idea that you don't want bad things to happen to your family.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd transfer my mind into a machine, clone an army of me, and then conquer the world.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My first thought would be to take out multiple life assurance policies, but that's biased towards who I am now, as a twenty year old I would do things differently: Firstly I would grab the individual who gave me the note, threaten them with pain of violence and torture, demand more life and an antidote, and work my way up to the mass murderer who is behind all of this. Even if I was given an antidote I would still crush the skull of the sick freak responsible for killing so many youngsters, this would be a necessary and goodly task whatever the outcome.

Hopefully this would end this sick practise, however even if it did not and my family was punished I would say that I was correct in my actions, this murderous practise should be opposed and given no quarter.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Disappointed no one has said two chicks at the same time.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Disappointed no one has said two chicks at the same time.

Been there done that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well was an Office Space reference. In all seriousness, other than making sure my family gets my money and my buddy gets my PCs, I would be like Peter and do nothing.

Comission the Longevity Vaccine secret project, rush build it with supply crawlers, hit end turn and laugh in the face of death

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I’d
settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be
pretty nice.

—CEO Nwabudike Morgan,

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.