Keyrock

Easter beats Valentine's Day and Christmas because Cadbury Mini Eggs. 

I just discovered how well they wash down with bourbon. 

christmas were kinda rough for Gromnir's family as winters at pine ridge were brutal.  am recalling a month o' nothing to eat but jiffy pop and ketchup soup, a month during which we almost never removed our warmest clothes even while indoors.  

also, given that we is a twisted sorta soul, the religious imagery o' christian easter has always fascinated us.  sure, other religions got death and resurrection, but few has embraced the transformation o' brutal images o' torture into symbols o' hope.  easter>christmas.

favorite holiday is halloween.  regardless o' actual origins and cynical economic motives, a holiday that in its current incarnation exists primarily as an excuse for folks to dress up in costumes and to hand out candy to kids is a win in our book.

curious aside:  am thinking that the cadbury bunny tryouts commercial ran unchanged for near 20 years. manifested's gastric skulduggery reminded us o' the commercial.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am wishing a sincere happy easter to all.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Halloween is also my favorite holiday but my wife hates it for some reason

My least favorite holiday is actually Easter. I think I posted some time back that my mom was pretty religious but did not try to push it on me? Well, Easter was the sole exception to that rule because I almost always had to go to church on Easter for some reason. We didn't always go to the same church either because my mom wasn't particular to any denomination or doctrine she just read the bible, umm, religiously. I hated it though because the people were often.. I don't want to say mean because they were polite to our face but  I never felt very welcomed. One year I remember overhearing some people whispering that they thought we were just there for the food they served after the service but we never stayed to eat. My mom was always unfazed by it all but it always left me feeling a bit sad afterwards

Anyways, happy Easter all

EDIT - I'm way deep in the manischewitz and I was going to try to edit this a bit btu I'm not capable. After not drinking for a while I got a little too tipsy a little too quick

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

stories o' uncharitable sunday-only christians is disappointing.  no doubt such folks as the ones shady encountered had heard parables o' the prodigal son and the wedding feast hundreds o' times, and yet on the holiest day o' the year, they fail to embrace their neighbors. 

'course we has seen the opposite as well.  is a christmas mass in rapid city we recall that surprised us a bit.  we were 20 minutes late to a midnight mass. near blizzard conditions delayed our... pilgrimage. so we enter the church covered in wet snow and seeing no room at the inn, so to speak.  packed house in spite o' the weather. our sunday best were mended, patched and looking like we had stepped outta a dorothea lange photo. our little family stood at the back o' the church, motionless and silent.  well, we were silent after the heavy wooden doors slammed shut behind us-- three reservation indians in an all-white church on christmas eve. disruptive and shabby. anyways, the priest stops mass and asks for folks to make room for us... notices that Gromnir were shivering a bit, so he sent somebody to get a blanket for us before continuing with mass.  after the mass, numerous families offered us a place to stay for the night. 

were our first positive memory o' interacting with a group that were predominantly white. am suspecting it were kinda an important moment for us.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thanksgiving has lately been my favorite holiday.  All the feasting and getting together with family goodness of Christmas minus all the gift shopping stresses.  As a bonus you get (American) football games.  That said, I've always been fond of Easter as well, partially because it coincides with winter being over and the start of beisbol season.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Easter beats Valentine's Day and Christmas because Cadbury Mini Eggs. 

I just discovered how well they wash down with bourbon. 

Ewww    :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No, not the big creme-filled chocolate-shell eggs ... those are gross ... the miniature ones with a candy shell that are solid chocolate. A small bite, melted on your tongue, followed by a sip of straight bourbon is the business. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

One thing I've never understood; how the heck do they determine when Easter occurs? The Last Supper was the Passover supper and it's not for 3 more days. Easter is the day Christ rose but it often falls before the supper the night before the Crucifixion.  Yeah, yeah I realize there is a lot of Roman spring celebration bred into this with the rabbit and all. But the Roman empire is long gone and I've always wondered why Easter and Passover are not tied together now because they are... well tied together. 

Actually I have a lot of the same questions about Passover. It jumps around like a flea on a hot brick too.

As far as the previous posts from my respected board colleagues concerning experiences with organized practice of religion, I have somewhat complicated views on that. And it is something I've spent many hours thinking about. There is an old short story written by Leo Tolstoy called The Three Hermits. If you ever get a chance to read it. Not only is it a beautiful story it also wraps up everything I have come to believe about church in a nutshell.

So happy Easter everyone. And if you don't believe in God that's OK. Because no matter what God believes in YOU!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Actually you can read The Three Hermits right here for free!

http://www.online-literature.com/tolstoy/2896/

Thomas Sowell

Christian Easter is strange because it has never tied in calendar.

Easter and the holidays that are related to it are moveable feasts which do not fall on a fixed date in the Gregorian or Julian calendars which follow only the cycle of the sun; rather, its date is determined on a lunisolar calendar similar to the Hebrew calendar. The First Council of Nicaea (325) established two rules, independence of the Jewish calendar and worldwide uniformity, which were the only rules for Easter explicitly laid down by the council. No details for the computation were specified; these were worked out in practice, a process that took centuries and generated a number of controversies. It has come to be the first Sunday after the ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or soonest after 21 March, but calculations vary in East and West.

One thing I've never understood; how the heck do they determine when Easter occurs?

It goes by the moon.

I didn't know that.

Thomas Sowell

May Eostre grant all here fitness, fatness and fertility, praise the world reborn.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!